"Rattling" sound while idling and around 1,500 RPMs

manders2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
I have been experiencing a metallic rattling sound somewhat sporadically, but it seems to be happening more consistently. I have a 2016 EX-T and I took it in to the dealer, but "they couldn't re-create the problem." I even drove it around with the mechanic and it wasn't making the noise, even though it was doing it during the entire drive to the dealer. It typically makes the sound when I am idling after just turning on the car, then also around 1500 RPMs (give or take) and usually when I am very, very lightly accelerating. Sometimes it is off-and-on and sometimes it can be constant for 2-3 minutes. It sounds like it is coming from the dash area, or around where the gear shift knob is but I can't pinpoint it, and I have taken any and all things out of the car that I put in (pens, chargers, etc) that could make noise.

I have been able to catch it on video, and have recorded it with my phone... the sound is surprisingly very noticeable. See below:

Does anyone have ideas or thoughts on what could be causing this, or have you had this problem also?

Thanks!
Sponsored

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX / modern steel metallic
I have the rattling metal sound too on my 2.0, but just when the car is at idle. It doesn't do it all the time. It sounds like a heat shield rattling to me. The noise goes away after a few seconds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I have an EX-T as well and have the same issue. It is a severe rattle sound inside of the dash in multiple locations between 1500-2000 rpm. It is much more noticeable when the eco-drive is off. It seems like the engine mounts are not absorbing enough energy and casing too much vibrations. Its very annoying along with a wicked bad rattle back on the rear deck by the passenger side seatbelt. I don't want the dealer to tear apart my car and make it worse but i might not have a choice. Most dealers won't mess with rattles since there too hard to determine and not enough money can be made n fixing them from Honda.

I am very disappointed in my Civic. The build quality is pretty poor, I am just hopping mechanically it holds up better then the interior. This is my first Honda coming from multiple purchased new Kia's (12 Soul! & 13 Forte Koupe SX) and my Kia's had much better build quality than my Honda for a much more reasonable price. Might just trade it in for another brand here soon if these can't get fixed.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I am very disappointed in my Civic. The build quality is pretty poor, I am just hopping mechanically it holds up better then the interior. This is my first Honda coming from multiple purchased new Kia's (12 Soul! & 13 Forte Koupe SX) and my Kia's had much better build quality than my Honda for a much more reasonable price. Might just trade it in for another brand here soon if these can't get fixed.
I highly disagree with that statement. Maybe it's just a North Carolina thing..

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
That was the funniest thing I heard all day when I read that @Gavnzdad lmfao!

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have an EX-T as well and have the same issue. It is a severe rattle sound inside of the dash in multiple locations between 1500-2000 rpm. It is much more noticeable when the eco-drive is off. It seems like the engine mounts are not absorbing enough energy and casing too much vibrations. Its very annoying along with a wicked bad rattle back on the rear deck by the passenger side seatbelt. I don't want the dealer to tear apart my car and make it worse but i might not have a choice. Most dealers won't mess with rattles since there too hard to determine and not enough money can be made n fixing them from Honda.

That's unfortunate to hear you're having those issues with your EX-T. Personally, mine is smooth across the entire rev range with virtually no vibration, even at idle. I do agree that there are a few fit and finish missteps/rattles - but being the first model year, this stuff happens. If you choose the right dealer, they should work with you to make you happy. I'd attempt that route prior to losing $1000s for a few rattles.

If not - enjoy your '12 Soul with your massively better interior than your Civic! Whatever works for ya.

sure1228

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EX-T
I have the exactly same issue with my EXT and I even got similar recordings to show the dealer what the noise is like. Unfortunately they were not able to identify where it was coming from since they couldn't recreate it. They said it can be because of the heat and it's "common". But I'm in Florida and almost the whole year will be summer. It surely didn't have that noise when I just bought it. And I don't believe all cars in Florida will have this noise. But the only thing they did was to archive my visiting record and ask me to go back if it's worse...

Well, now the noise is on almost everyday. The day I took my car to the dealer is the only day I had peace in my car. I will try again this week. Hopefully they can recreate it this time and find a solution....

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
I have the exactly same issue with my EXT and I even got similar recordings to show the dealer what the noise is like. Unfortunately they were not able to identify where it was coming from since they couldn't recreate it. They said it can be because of the heat and it's "common". But I'm in Florida and almost the whole year will be summer. It surely didn't have that noise when I just bought it. And I don't believe all cars in Florida will have this noise. But the only thing they did was to archive my visiting record and ask me to go back if it's worse...

Well, now the noise is on almost everyday. The day I took my car to the dealer is the only day I had peace in my car. I will try again this week. Hopefully they can recreate it this time and find a solution....
Yeah this new generation of civic is nowhere near the level the quality i expected from a civic. People trash my 2013 Kia Forte Sx Koup because it was a Kia but when they rode in it or drove it they were extremely surprised with the quality. I am dead serious when I say that I had zero problems with the car and it was built very solid. Never had any quality control issues. I was ready for a new car so I purchased my civic based on the reputation of reliability and quality but have been very displeased. I will probably end up trading it in soon for something else

Last edited:

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring MSM
Country flag
Has anyone had this rattle fixed? Mine does it only when idling, often but not consistently. When I let my foot off the brake it stops. Honda service noticed it when I took it in to have the HU replaced but he thought it was coming from my bumper which had been damaged. (I pulled into a parking spot and rolled into a very large, water filled pot hole and the bumper hit the curb. :banghead:) The bumper has been replaced and there's still a rattle. And I think it's coming from the dash or engine, nowhere near the bumper. I'm going to have them dig into it when I take it in for an oil change, so I'm wondering if I can narrow down the possible cause. Thanks in advance.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's a thread about this already with several people who had dealerships do work successfully. There's also several videos. IMHO the shifter cable sounds most likely. I also have this rattle, I'm just waiting for an oil change or actual reason to take it in.

Edit: http://www.civicx.com/threads/rattle-in-dash.4793/

Julie1012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan Touring MSM
Country flag
I thought maybe it's a different issue. Mine only rattles when idling and doesn't sound as harsh as it does in those videos. However, I suppose it could be the same cable causing it. I'll have them check it out. Thanks!

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have a good recording, or can you get one, of it? I'm not an expert so it may not necessarily be the same. These cars do seem rattle prone. The rattle with the alleged shifter cable fix occurs consistently while accelerating, right around 1800rpm. It's exacerbated by a rough road surface. From the drivers seat it's easy to think it's coming from around the passenger footwell or door speaker.
Sponsored