First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Hi everyone:

I bought a Civic si 2018 with 32k miles. Now I'm on 40k. I'm having a problem with a rattling/knocking noise mainly in the first few minutes when the car is warming up. Once it is warmed up, the sound dissappears. Turning the wheel left to right(short turns) when parked or moving at slow speed, can cause the noise. I changed the inner and outer tie rod, also the stabilizer links and the noise persisted.

The dealer changed the right engine mount, but the rattle continues. I think that the noise comes from the steering rack.

Does anyone else had or has this experience?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Any vibrations? On another car I had a slight vibration, and a noise when turning and it turned out to be the CV joint/axle.

Of course it would be odd for that to happen in only 40K, but so would an engine mount or tie rods.

OP
OP

Messier88

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Any vibrations? On another car I had a slight vibration, and a noise when turning and it turned out to be the CV joint/axle.

Of course it would be odd for that to happen in only 40K, but so would an engine mount or tie rods.
For now I don't feel any vibrations. It sounds like something is loose.

I checked the cv joint, and they look in good condition. I will double check to see if I find something. Thanks for responding!

OP
OP

Messier88

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Good luck! Let us know what you find.
Greetings:
After paying for diagnosis in two different dealers, they both concluded that the catalytic converter has a damage that caused a change in structure of the exhaust extension pipe. Resulting in the extension pipe to have contact with the firewall of the vehicle.

My next move is to take the car into a muffler shop to see if they can fix the issue.

Here is the video the Honda service crew send me (it is in spanish):
https://app.truvideo.com/v/v53ODH6J?s=xqHI2chs2xWudjw2iDcO3rkkB/nL+8mu

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Greetings:
After paying for diagnosis in two different dealers, they both concluded that the catalytic converter has a damage that caused a change in structure of the exhaust extension pipe. Resulting in the extension pipe to have contact with the firewall of the vehicle.

My next move is to take the car into a muffler shop to see if they can fix the issue.

Here is the video the Honda service crew send me (it is in spanish):
https://app.truvideo.com/v/v53ODH6J?s=xqHI2chs2xWudjw2iDcO3rkkB/nL+8mu
Great! But why didn't you have the dealer fix it? Is it because they wanted to replace the catalytic converter, and you are hoping someone can fix it without replacing it?

OP
OP

Messier88

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2018
Country flag
Great! But why didn't you have the dealer fix it? Is it because they wanted to replace the catalytic converter, and you are hoping someone can fix it without replacing it?
Exactly, they offered to change the hole pipeline for $1.2k. I decided to check if the muffler shop can fix it by a fraction of that.