Rattle When Pressing The Accelerator

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got mine from modern auto performance. I can tell you that there are a lot of guys on here who have had the fuel smell issue with this can. The fact that a mishimoto employee told me that their entire stock of hoses were destroyed cause they had the same issue and they were coming out with fixed ones in May,tells me there are a lot of these out there with one issue or another. Yet they keep on selling them.
i got just recently installed my can a couple weeks ago. i have known about the fuel smell problem since it came out. ordered mine back in march and it finally came in. it looks like the hoses are different. i remember the black hoses before had orange silicone inside it, these are just black. and so far no fuel smell has been coming into the cabin
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i got just recently installed my can a couple weeks ago. i have known about the fuel smell problem since it came out. ordered mine back in march and it finally came in. it looks like the hoses are different. i remember the black hoses before had orange silicone inside it, these are just black. and so far no fuel smell has been coming into the cabin
I got red hoses and they had the black lining. After about a month later they smelled horrible. They sent me two more sets and said these should last until they got the new ones in, I didn't bother with them, I got fuel injection line. Still have the garbage sitting here new in the bags.
I didn't notice the fuel smell until I used the fresh air option, my a.c. had the recirculation mode on most of the time

kzrick188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still waiting on Mishimoto to ship me their replacement bronze filter which they did not have in stock. I bought my catch can from procivic.com for $180 last month; I noticed on Mishimoto's website they've since increased their pricing, perhaps with better quality control and fixed issues? The day I first installed it I used fuel injection hose from the auto parts store and fuel injection clamps after hearing about everyone's issues with the hoses. Right after the install I noticed the rattle noise. Took it apart, replaced the disintegrated o-ring, tightened all the parts, still have the noise. The can was catching oil though, so I just kept it on there and had to bear with the noise.

Today I pulled the catch can out again to do some more upgrades and finally fixed the issue. Ultimately, it was definitely the bronze filter media that was loose. The filter media on it was able to move around if I tapped on it. I twisted the filter media around a bit and was able to jam it in so that it didn't rattle anymore. I also made sure the baffle plate post was super tight.

I also swapped the plastic NPT fittings to brass fittings (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DSTC6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with some teflon tape, since the plastic ones kept coming loose, which means I probably was leaking boost as well. I added a check valve right before the intake manifold as a safety measure as I'm running higher than stock boost.

Reinstalled and the rattle sound is gone. Looking back I would not recommend the Mishimoto catch can to anyone. I first got the can because it had a direct fit mounting plate for our 1.5T Civics. It seems for the price we should be getting a much better package. Customer service has been good on their end, but 3-4 weeks later after getting the can I still wouldn't have had solved the issue w/ their help (no replacement parts have shown up yet) if I hadn't just tinkered with the setup myself.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rattle When Pressing The Accelerator IMG_20180610_164721

Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm still waiting on Mishimoto to ship me their replacement bronze filter which they did not have in stock. I bought my catch can from procivic.com for $180 last month; I noticed on Mishimoto's website they've since increased their pricing, perhaps with better quality control and fixed issues? The day I first installed it I used fuel injection hose from the auto parts store and fuel injection clamps after hearing about everyone's issues with the hoses. Right after the install I noticed the rattle noise. Took it apart, replaced the disintegrated o-ring, tightened all the parts, still have the noise. The can was catching oil though, so I just kept it on there and had to bear with the noise.

Today I pulled the catch can out again to do some more upgrades and finally fixed the issue. Ultimately, it was definitely the bronze filter media that was loose. The filter media on it was able to move around if I tapped on it. I twisted the filter media around a bit and was able to jam it in so that it didn't rattle anymore. I also made sure the baffle plate post was super tight.

I also swapped the plastic NPT fittings to brass fittings (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DSTC6W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with some teflon tape, since the plastic ones kept coming loose, which means I probably was leaking boost as well. I added a check valve right before the intake manifold as a safety measure as I'm running higher than stock boost.

Reinstalled and the rattle sound is gone. Looking back I would not recommend the Mishimoto catch can to anyone. I first got the can because it had a direct fit mounting plate for our 1.5T Civics. It seems for the price we should be getting a much better package. Customer service has been good on their end, but 3-4 weeks later after getting the can I still wouldn't have had solved the issue w/ their help (no replacement parts have shown up yet) if I hadn't just tinkered with the setup myself.

IMG_20180610_164721.jpg
I can't really say the customer service is all that good either. While they have always been courteous , I had to wait over a month and send two emails and one phone call for my first set of replacement hoses that they said they were sending two day air, and when they came , they were for a camero,not my civic. Another week later ,i finally got them, and they smelled within a month.
Three sets of hoses later,they still haven't sent me the ones they said would be the fixed ones available back in May.
I also had to buy the fittings and Fuel injection hose. I don't recommend them at all.
One thing I can tell you from trial and error, fuel eats the teflon tape and makes it a mess. I used high temp sealant and it has stopped all the leaks and has held up great.

kzrick188

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I can't really say the customer service is all that good either. While they have always been courteous , I had to wait over a month and send two emails and one phone call for my first set of replacement hoses that they said they were sending two day air, and when they came , they were for a camero,not my civic. Another week later ,i finally got them, and they smelled within a month.
Three sets of hoses later,they still haven't sent me the ones they said would be the fixed ones available back in May.
I also had to buy the fittings and Fuel injection hose. I don't recommend them at all.
One thing I can tell you from trial and error, fuel eats the teflon tape and makes it a mess. I used high temp sealant and it has stopped all the leaks and has held up great.
Thanks Rickmeister, I don't have previous experience with teflon tape and fuel. I'll pick up some liquid thread sealant for it. :headbang:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks Rickmeister, I don't have previous experience with teflon tape and fuel. I'll pick up some liquid thread sealant for it. :headbang:
No problem,just make sure its high temp, I don't know if they make some that isn't,but it gets pretty hot under that hood,lol

mnksauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2005 RSX Type S
Country flag

IMG_20180610_164721.jpg
I did this exact thing.

My bronze media wasn't moving around, but I did feel that the plastic always came loose. The silver piece on the inside freely moves and I thought that's what rattled due to vibrations. After getting the brass fittings and re-installing, my rattle is gone so far after a day of driving around. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

Through this experience and all the fitment issues, really bad customer service, and reports of fitment issues from the intakes, I'm not a mishimoto fan anymore. Brand new intake (type r) going up for sale.

Thank you, @kzrick188

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mazda Miata, 2016 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen
Country flag
Hey guys, just wanted to add my 2 cents here. I got a Mishimoto catch can last year and had the same buzz on accel and also a clunking noise at idle. I thought I had rod knock, my RMM was coming loose, or my DMF was letting go, but my car only has 13k miles on it and I'm running the lower of the two Hondata tunes. I finally tracked it to the catch can.

I don't think anything is wrong with the catch can itself. If you look at the following blog post on MAPerformance, you'll see graphs of the PCV system pressure. It oscillates to stay on target and those oscillations look a heck of a lot like a buzz. My running theory is that those buzzes are always present (can barely hear the noise now that I'm back to stock, but if I really strain my ears it's there). Normally the routing stays on the engine and is subject to motor mount damping and engine bay sound insulation.

The only issue with the catch can is that it's hard mounted to the firewall, which acts like a drumhead and pumps these noises directly into the cabin, bypassing all insulation. I'd rather run a catch can on this car, but I can't deal with the extra NVH. Really hoping for some sort of refund, this thing wasn't cheap...

https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/tech/honda-l15b7-1-5t-pcv-system-testing-and-observations

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
You guys are amazing. I'm at $400 and 5 weeks with 4 different mechanics trying to fix this rattling under acceleration. Now that I'm really listening to It , it's slightly to the passenger seat side of the firewall. Exactly where the catch can is. I'm 99 percent sure this is my issue. It didn't happen after install which makes sense. It took a little bit for things to loosen up and rattle loose. This has been an F'ing nightmare trying to track down. 4 weeks in a row using my Days off at shops trying to find the issue.

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag

IMG_20180610_164721.jpg
I'm having the exact issue bro. Started about 6 weeks after install. I've spent $400 and been go 4 shops for them to tell me they don't know what it is. Then I found this thread. Quick question, I unscrewed the can and pushed the baffle and what I could on the filter and didn't feel anything moving. Were you able to tell that was it while it was still mounted to the firewall? It's doing its job but the rattling during acceleration is taking the joy from driving the car for me. At this point I guess removing the whole thing and seeing if the noise is gone is all I can do. I'm praying the can is the issue.

Biff_Inglewood_420_69

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mazda Miata, 2016 Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen
Country flag
I'm having the exact issue bro. Started about 6 weeks after install. I've spent $400 and been go 4 shops for them to tell me they don't know what it is. Then I found this thread. Quick question, I unscrewed the can and pushed the baffle and what I could on the filter and didn't feel anything moving. Were you able to tell that was it while it was still mounted to the firewall? It's doing its job but the rattling during acceleration is taking the joy from driving the car for me. At this point I guess removing the whole thing and seeing if the noise is gone is all I can do. I'm praying the can is the issue.
There is nothing in the catch can that is rattling or loose. If you read my comment and look here (https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/tech/honda-l15b7-1-5t-pcv-system-testing-and-observations), what you're hearing is the PCV system actuating. It's normally muted by the sound insulation, but routing the system through a can that is mounted directly to the firewall ends up turning the firewall into a drumhead that amplifies the valve noises. Nothing to do other than find a new mounting location that is isolated (like somewhere on the engine than doesn't transmit vibrations directly into the cabin) or remove it altogether.

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
There is nothing in the catch can that is rattling or loose. If you read my comment and look here (https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/tech/honda-l15b7-1-5t-pcv-system-testing-and-observations), what you're hearing is the PCV system actuating. It's normally muted by the sound insulation, but routing the system through a can that is mounted directly to the firewall ends up turning the firewall into a drumhead that amplifies the valve noises. Nothing to do other than find a new mounting location that is isolated (like somewhere on the engine than doesn't transmit vibrations directly into the cabin) or remove it altogether.
The sound that I'm getting started weeks after I installed it. Which makes me think the noise shouldn't be there.

Glassjaw121986

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda civic si
Country flag
I could possibly deal with it if I knew for sure the nose was normal and suppose to be there. It just really doesn't sound like it should. And if it is Mishimoto F'ed up in every way possible with this specific design and then not including a pretty bold warning before purchasing that you're going to hear an obnoxious rattling sound every time you accelerate. I figured I found the fix to it because other people are posting how they got it to stop.
Sponsored