First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Hello Folks,

I have been dealing with a rattle somewhere in my Civic for the last year, the dealership is unable to find the source of the noise after bringing the car to them about 5 times to investigate.

The noise only happens when the engine is warm enough to idle around 600RPM, and it only occurs in drive (not park, not reverse).

Have any of you ever experience this noise? Or would you have any clue what it could be coming from? The dealer changed one of the engine mounts, adjusted the exhaust, tighten the floor panels. The car doesn’t idle rough, but the light load on the engine is enough for something to make the noise.

Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I had this rattle in my LX that I put 60k miles on. Only when put in drive while still in my parking spot.

This car makes many strange sounds.

Edit after watching your video: that’s way worse than my LX was. That sounds like something is broken or not being held in place correctly. Get your dealership to figure that out.

Last edited:

KnoxTn17Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
When it's making this noise, can you barely rev it and the noise goes away? When the rpms drop back down, does the noise come back? Does it sound like it's coming from the driver side of the car?

OP
OP
Johneeeh

Johneeeh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
When it's making this noise, can you barely rev it and the noise goes away? When the rpms drop back down, does the noise come back? Does it sound like it's coming from the driver side of the car?
Yes, as soon as it revs above idle it goes away. It is really hard to tell where the sound comes from, thats why i move the camera around in the video. It sounds similar from both sides.

KnoxTn17Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
Mine just started making that sound. Almost sounds like it's coming from the dash area. I know once I drive and get to work or home, it doesn't make the noise anymore. So weird....

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I've just noticed this happening in my LX. It's not as loud. And it seems to be coming from the gear shifter/selector area. But it also just started just as the weather broke and turned much cooler.

I believe it's just a mechanical resonance.

KnoxTn17Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
I will say it didn't make the noise at all today. The 3 days it did, the temps were in the low 30's. Today mid 60's low in 50's. Gotta love Tennessee whether.

OP
OP
Johneeeh

Johneeeh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Yeah the noise seems to be more evident during the colder months. On hot summer days it usually doesnt make a noise.

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Yes, as soon as it revs above idle it goes away. It is really hard to tell where the sound comes from, thats why i move the camera around in the video. It sounds similar from both sides.
How about the hood?
My Tacoma had a similar vibration rattle, with same symptoms as yours.
Turns out, it was a missing rubber bushing that apparently fell out. Replaced it. Sound gone.
Next time, open the hood (while it''s running and making noise) and see if the noise stops.

usmanansari

First Name
Usman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-L 2019
Were you able to resolve your issue? I have same kind of issue with my 2019 EX-L Civic.

partialprint

First Name
Partial
Threads
Reaction score
Website
music.apple.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Im having noises too on the passenger side / dash glovebox or hood area lmk if its similar in very hot conditions it seems to not make it either its also around 1500-2000 rpm