Rattle Noise Near Driver Side Dashboard Vent Area

Gozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Edit:
Feb. 23, 2017 - I recently came across this thread here, http://www.civicx.com/threads/how-to-remove-a-pillar-trim.4146/, which seems similar to what I describe below.

Original Post:
I've previously read many posts of different rattles, but I did not come across one for what I am hearing in my vehicle.

I have a 2016 Touring sedan with approximately 6500 miles on it.

More frequently, as of late, I have been hearing a (sometimes loud) rattle coming from the driver side dashboard vent area when going over minor bumps or slightly rough road. However, the noise doesn't necessarily happen every time I drive the car, even if I'm going over the same exact road surface that I drove over sometime in the past when I did hear the noise. While I'm not 100% on the exact location/cause of the noise, I think it is coming from or around the front facing dashboard vent that is closest to the driver's side door. I think there is a possibility that it may also be coming from or around the small vent (not the windshield defroster vent) on top of the dashboard closest to the driver's side door.

I've been trying to correlate outside temperatures, audio volume, or the climate control settings (fan/blower speed, which vent(s) the air is set to blow out of), but as of right now, I'm can't say I've come across any such correlation to those items and the rattle noise.

I'm curious if anyone else has come across or heard a similar noise around the area I'm describing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
I have a rattle in that same area. I have been describing mine more as a dash/steering wheel rattle. For mine, what alleviates the issue is if I pull back the steering wheel (apply pressure back). It doesn't resolve the issue, only goes away while I'm holding it back, and also if I let go off of the accelerator, the rattle is lower. Took it to the dealership, technician replicated it on the drive with me, and once I left the car, they magically couldn't replicate it again. Second time for the same issue, I gave up on that dealership at this point (that's a long story...).

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Just to update...After I took to the dealership (which has been a nightmare), and they couldn't do a damn thing about it, I said fuck it and decided to locate the issue myself. I won't work on it because I don't want to break my case in case Honda complains, but my issue is that the dashboard foot AC vent (a big plastic piece), is fairly loose and I guess it shakes randomly (even though I dont use the AC on the foot). If I hold that piece, the noise goes away.

OP
OP

Gozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I have a rattle in that same area. I have been describing mine more as a dash/steering wheel rattle. For mine, what alleviates the issue is if I pull back the steering wheel (apply pressure back). It doesn't resolve the issue, only goes away while I'm holding it back, and also if I let go off of the accelerator, the rattle is lower. Took it to the dealership, technician replicated it on the drive with me, and once I left the car, they magically couldn't replicate it again. Second time for the same issue, I gave up on that dealership at this point (that's a long story...).
Just to update...After I took to the dealership (which has been a nightmare), and they couldn't do a damn thing about it, I said fuck it and decided to locate the issue myself. I won't work on it because I don't want to break my case in case Honda complains, but my issue is that the dashboard foot AC vent (a big plastic piece), is fairly loose and I guess it shakes randomly (even though I dont use the AC on the foot). If I hold that piece, the noise goes away.
Thank you for sharing this information @eXultanCe.

zboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
I've previously read many posts of different rattles, but I did not come across one for what I am hearing in my vehicle.

I have a 2016 Touring sedan with approximately 6500 miles on it.

More frequently, as of late, I have been hearing a (sometimes loud) rattle coming from the driver side dashboard vent area when going over minor bumps or slightly rough road. However, the noise doesn't necessarily happen every time I drive the car, even if I'm going over the same exact road surface that I drove over sometime in the past when I did hear the noise. While I'm not 100% on the exact location/cause of the noise, I think it is coming from or around the front facing dashboard vent that is closest to the driver's side door. I think there is a possibility that it may also be coming from or around the small vent (not the windshield defroster vent) on top of the dashboard closest to the driver's side door.

I've been trying to correlate outside temperatures, audio volume, or the climate control settings (fan/blower speed, which vent(s) the air is set to blow out of), but as of right now, I'm can't say I've come across any such correlation to those items and the rattle noise.

I'm curious if anyone else has come across or heard a similar noise around the area I'm describing.
i've noticed a similar rattle since i got the car (less than 1k on it). i hear this rattling from the driver's side and it's very intermittent. for me, it sort of goes away when i put my hand on the vent above the driver's side air vent. and i don't have to apply much pressure either - if i just rest my hand on that area the rattling seems to go away... interested to see what others have to say about this

eXultanCe

eXult
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
i've noticed a similar rattle since i got the car (less than 1k on it). i hear this rattling from the driver's side and it's very intermittent. for me, it sort of goes away when i put my hand on the vent above the driver's side air vent. and i don't have to apply much pressure either - if i just rest my hand on that area the rattling seems to go away... interested to see what others have to say about this
If yours goes away when putting your hand on the top vent, and mine goes away when I put my hand on my bottom vent, we may be looking at the whole vent area for the ACs that may be shaking in the interior. Would you mind seeing if yours goes away when you hold the bottom vent as well? Its located on the right side under the dash, near your gas peddle (you'll feel a plastic hose near that too).

OP
OP

Gozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I'm wondering if it is possible that the rattle noise is sometimes caused by the hood release cable, with the sound being amplified through the dash vent(s) closest to the driver's side door. While I'm not sure how the hood release cable is routed exactly, if you pop the hood of the car, you can partially trace this cable. Perhaps this cable may get routed up through the dash area near the driver's side dashboard vents.

The only reason I thought of mentioning the hood release cable is I know I've come across a few other posts where people have mentioned a rattle coming from the center dashboard area near the infotainment screen and the center two front facing dash vents. I think the resolution for a few people in that scenario was caused by the shifter cable and how it passed through the firewall under the center dashboard area, through a bushing or grommet, which would then in turn cause the rattle from the center dash area above.

Other things I've seen mentioned in other posts, in regards to center dash rattle noises included, checking for loose levers in the dashboard vent assemblies, checking for excessive movement of the division panel for the blower box, checking the engine mounts, checking the knock sensor, and checking the heat shield.

I'm not sure if any of this can help with what's being discussed in this topic, but thought I'd share.

zboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
update: i looked at the side of the dashboard and saw that one of the dash pieces was not sitting perfectly flush (green area, my picture doesn't get a clear view of it). i placed a kleenex travel pack between the dashboard and the door (the tissue pack was too big to wedge in there with the door shut - i had to put it in position then shut the door on it)(blue area, filled the entire gap). this definitely caused the rattles i originally experienced to go away, but it also made new rattles surface from the center of the dash (guessing the tissue pack was too thick to fit between the door/dash and was pushing things in the dash out of alignment)...so i removed the tissue pack and things were back to normal. i tried a second time, but this time wedging the tissue pack in gently while the door was shut (red area, just covered the corner). the tissue pack made much less contact with the door and dash(it was primarily in contact with the corner of the soft touch plastic), but it stopped the rattling and didn't create any new rattles

i'm guessing that, for what i'm experiencing at least, the source is something around the corner of the dash, where the soft touch top of the dash meets the other pieces

Honda Civic 10th gen Rattle Noise Near Driver Side Dashboard Vent Area IMG_20161014_183759 Honda Civic 10th gen Rattle Noise Near Driver Side Dashboard Vent Area IMG_20161014_183705

OP
OP

Gozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
update: i looked at the side of the dashboard and saw that one of the dash pieces was not sitting perfectly flush (green area, my picture doesn't get a clear view of it). i placed a kleenex travel pack between the dashboard and the door (the tissue pack was too big to wedge in there with the door shut - i had to put it in position then shut the door on it)(blue area, filled the entire gap). this definitely caused the rattles i originally experienced to go away, but it also made new rattles surface from the center of the dash (guessing the tissue pack was too thick to fit between the door/dash and was pushing things in the dash out of alignment)...so i removed the tissue pack and things were back to normal. i tried a second time, but this time wedging the tissue pack in gently while the door was shut (red area, just covered the corner). the tissue pack made much less contact with the door and dash(it was primarily in contact with the corner of the soft touch plastic), but it stopped the rattling and didn't create any new rattles

i'm guessing that, for what i'm experiencing at least, the source is something around the corner of the dash, where the soft touch top of the dash meets the other pieces

IMG_20161014_183759.jpg IMG_20161014_183705.jpg
Thank you for the update.

I came across some other posts in a different topic with a few people noticing fit and finish issues in that area as well. Links directly to their photos are below.

Anyone noticing small rattles?

jannapureddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT

yes even i have the same issues but there will be no sound when weather is cool right?

jannapureddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EXT

did you make any videos while fixing it. If you have done it please upload it may help full for me

smileytiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic

Thank you for the tips.

I had the knocking noise coming from A-pillar (driver's side) . I stuffed some folded papers in between the gaps A-pillar and dash , the sound disappeared. Then I sent the car to dealer for insulation and got back my car with loud rattling noises from the top plastic cover above the meter. I went back to the dealer and they wanted me to leave my car for a few days so that they will dismantle the whole dash to fix it. I refused.

I found this tip , so I wedged a sock like shown in the photos and the rattles are gone . Now , is there a way where I can permanently fix this ? Now I try to avoid having to drive out for lunch with my coworkers , it is embarrassing to let anyone notice the sock

cataclysmseng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
homda civic 1.5tcp
Thank you for the tips.

I had the knocking noise coming from A-pillar (driver's side) . I stuffed some folded papers in between the gaps A-pillar and dash , the sound disappeared. Then I sent the car to dealer for insulation and got back my car with loud rattling noises from the top plastic cover above the meter. I went back to the dealer and they wanted me to leave my car for a few days so that they will dismantle the whole dash to fix it. I refused.

I found this tip , so I wedged a sock like shown in the photos and the rattles are gone . Now , is there a way where I can permanently fix this ? Now I try to avoid having to drive out for lunch with my coworkers , it is embarrassing to let anyone notice the sock
how do.u solve at last?
Sponsored