RATS! In my engine bay :/

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hi, new here, unfortunately I am here for a crappy reason. Thankfully its not worse...

Can anyone help me figure out what plug this is, or point me in the right direction for exploded views of the engine bay wiring? I am having trouble finding anything... I am new to the Honda world, have not needed to start finding information about anything beyond "when do I need to change CTV fluid".

I was able to get this soldered back together, but it won't hold for long... Wasn't much to actually solder to on the plug side. If I can get a new plug, I assume it either plugs in somewhere under the plastic shrouds, or I would just splice it in somewhere easy. I couldn't figure out how to even get the plastic covers off without destroying them, so I figured I would youtube that once the crappy solder job was completed... thats next on my list once I get this new plug in.

Ok, well, apparently this is a super common issue. I had no luck finding actual wiring diagrams, but found MANY posts on here about this exact issue. Guess I need to figure out how to de-pin that plug...

Honda Civic 10th gen RATS! In my engine bay :/ 1642135949492

Honda Civic 10th gen RATS! In my engine bay :/ 1642135989589

Honda Civic 10th gen RATS! In my engine bay :/ 1642135945285

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
A good and experienced electronic tech can fix it
1- Where can you found one ?
2-What is the cost ?

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.amazon.com/Aokus-IGNITION-CONNECTOR-Compatible-2009-2019/dp/B091B2J5RV

I would remove the old connector entirely, and splice this fresh one in. That harness for your car is around $2300.

I had recently spliced and soldered a new connector in the engine bay of a 991.2 Porsche due to rodent damage aswell. It is definitely doable as a DIY if you have soldering experience. Replacement of that harness is an engine out job and is in the five figure cost range...

blackonblackSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si 2015ex 2012 Dodge Avenger
Country flag
Rats love the 10th gen civics and new accords for some reason.. I just fixed this same issue on a friend's car. I just ordered new clips off ebay and spliced and soldered the wires together. Car starts and runs fine and the cel is gone! Honda wanted 3k to fix it.

OP
OP

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you have a link to the eBay posting or part number for the plug? I’d love to buy a new one car trying to de-pin this one.

OP
OP

LIGISTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
https://www.amazon.com/Aokus-IGNITION-CONNECTOR-Compatible-2009-2019/dp/B091B2J5RV

I would remove the old connector entirely, and splice this fresh one in. That harness for your car is around $2300.

I had recently spliced and soldered a new connector in the engine bay of a 991.2 Porsche due to rodent damage aswell. It is definitely doable as a DIY if you have soldering experience. Replacement of that harness is an engine out job and is in the five figure cost range...
oh, I’m just blind… thanks for the Amazon link!! That will make this so much easier.

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This happened to my gf's car last year. A rodent chewed off the car's harness causing the steering wheel to lock and rendering the car useless. Towed it to a local Honda dealership and got it repaired under comprehensive insurance ($100 deductible). Try that first before you attempt to replace the harness yourself to avoid internal problems down the road.

pcsavvy

First Name
Vickie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (Sonic Gray Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had rodents chew up my wiper washer hoses on my 2017 Sport Hatchback and had to replace all the hoses. The service guy at the dealership at the time suggested putting bounce dryer sheets into panty hose and place it somewhere in the engine bay. I tied off one of these contraptions onto the space/depression under the hood off to the driver's side of engine bay well away from heated parts area. Then when my current car had signs of rodents nesting in my engine bay and the service guy at the dealership this time said we can't really recommend doing the bounce sheets idea, just change up where you park your car.

JohnnyL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Coupe EX
Country flag
I had rodents chew up my wiper washer hoses on my 2017 Sport Hatchback and had to replace all the hoses. The service guy at the dealership at the time suggested putting bounce dryer sheets into panty hose and place it somewhere in the engine bay. I tied off one of these contraptions onto the space/depression under the hood off to the driver's side of engine bay well away from heated parts area. Then when my current car had signs of rodents nesting in my engine bay and the service guy at the dealership this time said we can't really recommend doing the bounce sheets idea, just change up where you park your car.
Spray the engin compartment down about every 6-8 weeks with a mix of peppermint and water. I've been doing it for a couple years now and it seems to work well. One time I forgot and went about 3 months and they were back doing their dirty deeds.
Sponsored