Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Rat chewed up my ABS cable... IMG_1222

Welp, looks like a damn rat chewed up my ABS cable. One month after I got a new job with a work vehicle so the SI just became my weekend car. I've got Christmas lights on my dash and an ABS code and power steering code. Electronic e-brake is also not audibly engaging/disengaging. As of right now, I've already put in a claim with my insurance. My brother tells me it's gonna be expensive since they're likely just gonna replace the entire engine harness so I just put in a claim with my insurance. Gonna see if I can drop it off at my local Honda dealer in the morning without an appointment. Any chance I can get this repaired under warranty? I've looked around online and while rodent damage is a prevalent issue for these new Hondas, getting Honda to warranty repairs is slim pickings. Mines is a 2019 with 24k miles. I'm putting a lot of blame on Honda for this, them and their soy based cabling. I have an '03 Corolla that's been sitting in the garage next to my Civic for 6 months and it is untouched. Also have bags of rice in my garage that are untouched.
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Will not be covered under warranty. I have to do many of these rodent damage repairs, we can repair the damage if it is out of pocket, but if it goes insurance they will do a whole harness replacement.

If you have rodent damage now, you may get it again. I really advise you to spray the engine bay down very well with a degreaser to get rid of the rodent smell as much as possible. If you just repair the damage and do no cleaning, the rodents will return since they can smell rodent droppings and think your engine bay is a hangout. I've done many repairs only to have rodents attack the harness again the very next day if it is not cleaned properly.

gdagreat

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic ex hatchback
Country flag
spray it with rodent repellent once you get it back and might wanna work on that rodent problem you have.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I'd put a ton of snap traps under and around the vehicle. Check it daily. Try to figure out how they're getting in the garage and block it.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Damn. Im sorry that happened.

I taped up my engine bay with Honda Rodent Tape back in 2017. so.........i have been lucky.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase