Jrd211

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Unfortunately, a rat climbed into the engine bay of my 2019 Civic EX and chewed through my Crank Shaft sensor wires. As shown in the below photos, the rat cut the wires clean off from the plastic adapter that lands into the engine block.

I am unsure how I can easily repair the wire as I cannot but splice the exposed wire. Furthermore, I am unsure how I can attach the connection of the wire to plastic connector.

I am wondering if I could purchase this adapter with wires sticking out, and then splice those wires to the existing harness.

I am hoping someone with a little more experience could chime in and reference any part # that could be used.

Thanks a bunch!

Honda Civic 10th gen Rat Chewed Through Crank Shaft Sensor Wire PXL_20201209_041724369

Honda Civic 10th gen Rat Chewed Through Crank Shaft Sensor Wire PXL_20201209_041814410

Honda Civic 10th gen Rat Chewed Through Crank Shaft Sensor Wire PXL_20201209_041710721

Honda Civic 10th gen Rat Chewed Through Crank Shaft Sensor Wire PXL_20201209_035903356

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I don't know how sensitive a signal that the wires pass. But I'd have to try telescoping a short length of stranded speaker wire into both ends. Heat shrink tubing may provide enough rigidity to keep it snug and hold it in place. I suppose the real test would be if the code went away. Good luck.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MR/MGM CB500F, 2018 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I don't believe Honda sells that short of the whole harness. The pins inside the connector are removable and available from many sources. JAE MX34 series pins are all over the car, but I have not personally depinned that particular connector. Alternatively, you could always snag a pigtail from a junkyard. and splice all 3 wires.

OP
OP

Jrd211

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I don't believe Honda sells that short of the whole harness. The pins inside the connector are removable and available from many sources. JAE MX34 series pins are all over the car, but I have not personally depinned that particular connector. Alternatively, you could always snag a pigtail from a junkyard. and splice all 3 wires.

Thanks a bunch for the advice!

To remove the existing pin, should I use fine time needle nose pliers too pull? or is there a better technique for de-pinning.

I like the junkyard idea, and think I am going to hit up a few local pick and pull places this weekend.

Thanks again!

OP
OP

Jrd211

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I don't know how sensitive a signal that the wires pass. But I'd have to try telescoping a short length of stranded speaker wire into both ends. Heat shrink tubing may provide enough rigidity to keep it snug and hold it in place. I suppose the real test would be if the code went away. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look into this further.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks a bunch for the advice!

To remove the existing pin, should I use fine time needle nose pliers too pull? or is there a better technique for de-pinning.

I like the junkyard idea, and think I am going to hit up a few local pick and pull places this weekend.

Thanks again!
To remove the existing pin yeah, you release the locking tab with something thin and stiff ( I typically use a tiny jeweler's flathead screwdriver) and pull the pin out by the wire.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Generally... I'm a solder guy. But there's always a risk of melting the plug/connector. Be careful.

EP3R-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Generally... I'm a solder guy. But there's always a risk of melting the plug/connector. Be careful.
Absolutely, with the tiny bit of wire that is left, the heat has nowhere to go except the connector plastic.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Absolutely, with the tiny bit of wire that is left, the heat has nowhere to go except the connector plastic.
Absolutely no problem with any skill in soldering. Just don't use your copper pipe soldering tools for this....:cool:

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Absolutely no problem with any skill in soldering. Just don't use your copper pipe soldering tools for this....:cool:
I think that's called "sweating the pipes"..

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
scrap/junk yard,

cut the connector off a car 2-3 inches up,

splice together on your car...done

bbeem

First Name
Ben