RaspberryPi in the Dash

First Name
SRE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
(I"d love to be able to get into the Center display screen, and Mod that as well !!!!! - but not holding my breath on that one -- but a replacement Custom side screen seems a lot more possible))
This is something I'm very interested in. Is there any way to access this touchscreen? I know you can "install" apps on it, so maybe there is a way of creating and publishing an Android app for it instead? Does anyone know?
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
SCOPESYS said:
(I"d love to be able to get into the Center display screen, and Mod that as well !!!!! - but not holding my breath on that one -- but a replacement Custom side screen seems a lot more possible))
( In reply : ------ )​

This is something I'm very interested in. Is there any way to access this touchscreen? I know you can "install" apps on it, so maybe there is a way of creating and publishing an Android app for it instead? Does anyone know?
By Center screen, I was referring to the Screen in the center of the Instrument Panel :)
( Not the Radio Entertainment Audio Head Unit)

First Name
SRE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
( In reply : ------ )​

By Center screen, I was referring to the Screen in the center of the Instrument Panel :)
( Not the Radio Entertainment Audio Head Unit)
Ahhh ok I gotcha now haha. Going to have to do some deep forum digging then and some more research . No time frame for this as I have some other projects on the go as well, but definitely something I will pursue and update with here when/if found

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Ahhh ok I gotcha now haha. Going to have to do some deep forum digging then and some more research . No time frame for this as I have some other projects on the go as well, but definitely something I will pursue and update with here when/if found
SO, if you are talking about the HEAD UNIT (the Touchscreen Screen in the center, above the A/C controls .. then yes, most Android apps will run on it, once you can install them, which requires Honda Hack.

The Unit also has access to C-Bus, so if you know how to program and interface to that, you could write software to access the Car's systems directly, but why -- where there are already great programs already written that do that through Bluetooth or Wifi, from the OBD2 devices.

What I found interesting was your independent display, that maybe could be mounted in one side of the Instrument panel, to add features, without messing with the main Head Unit.

But in Hindsight, that is a lot of Custom development work, and a better solution might be to just mount a Tablet as an extra display, and run Android software on that .

Cars are so temporary,, in a few years any custom stuff you do will be outdated, or already part of the next Gen Car systems.

Even writing stuff for the Civic gen X is a little late, and therefore short lived, as Gen11 is just around the corner. -- and Gen11 better NOT have the same Dinosaur Head Unit that they resurrected from the early 2000's for the GenX.

I would hope the Honda have had Mitsubishi or Pioneer working on the Gen11 head Units for some time now, and they will be Modern, powerful, systems !!!

Trouble is, they may well end up be so completely CUSTOM to Honda, that there will be NO user messing with them at all !!!

First Name
SRE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
SO, if you are talking about the HEAD UNIT (the Touchscreen Screen in the center, above the A/C controls .. then yes, most Android apps will run on it, once you can install them, which requires Honda Hack.

The Unit also has access to C-Bus, so if you know how to program and interface to that, you could write software to access the Car's systems directly, but why -- where there are already great programs already written that do that through Bluetooth or Wifi, from the OBD2 devices.

What I found interesting was your independent display, that maybe could be mounted in one side of the Instrument panel, to add features, without messing with the main Head Unit.

But in Hindsight, that is a lot of Custom development work, and a better solution might be to just mount a Tablet as an extra display, and run Android software on that .

Cars are so temporary,, in a few years any custom stuff you do will be outdated, or already part of the next Gen Car systems.

Even writing stuff for the Civic gen X is a little late, and therefore short lived, as Gen11 is just around the corner. -- and Gen11 better NOT have the same Dinosaur Head Unit that they resurrected from the early 2000's for the GenX.

I would hope the Honda have had Mitsubishi or Pioneer working on the Gen11 head Units for some time now, and they will be Modern, powerful, systems !!!

Trouble is, they may well end up be so completely CUSTOM to Honda, that there will be NO user messing with them at all !!!
Thank you! That's some really good insight and something that I hadn't considered. Just peeking at Honda Hack, I think that's all I'll ever want/need anyways and I had no idea it existed!

Also an aside, I want to say thanks to this forum. You guys have all been super helpful and friendly. Really nice to find a bunch more enthusiasts and builders even if people give Honda flack, I really think there's a lot of optimization that can be toyed with!

OP
OP

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I finally got It mounted!

I've also swapped the display and Pi to a 4 Inch HyperPixel display and RaspberryPi Zero WH

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I finally got It mounted!

I've also swapped the display and Pi to a 4 Inch HyperPixel display and RaspberryPi Zero WH

Cool .. Looking good as a proof of concept.

It might look better with Gauges and Bar Graphs etc, and also to reproduce the information that is now hidden on the Gauges & lights hidden behind the unit.

Where are you getting the information from ? Direct :Hard Wired" from the Car's BUS, or via some OBD2 device ?

OP
OP

kalvin126

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Cool .. Looking good as a proof of concept.

It might look better with Gauges and Bar Graphs etc, and also to reproduce the information that is now hidden on the Gauges & lights hidden behind the unit.

Where are you getting the information from ? Direct :Hard Wired" from the Car's BUS, or via some OBD2 device ?
Yuuupp. graphs, colors, UI, and other functionality are in the works. I just finally got around to getting it mounted in my car.

The info is via USB - OBD connection.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Yuuupp. graphs, colors, UI, and other functionality are in the works. I just finally got around to getting it mounted in my car.

The info is via USB - OBD connection.
Guess you got sidetracked?
Sponsored