Rarity!!

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So was the s2000 at one point.
Yes and now you can find them easily for 12 to 19k all cars go down in price. Only a few outstanding examples go up bu this is the exception not the rule. another 5 or so years Im sure you can get used Rs for under 20
Sponsored

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Apparently you been living underneath a rock. A EMI SI sold recently for 50K and a S2K sold for 50K. My S2K that i bought 8 years ago, have appreciated slowly but it is definitely not a depreciating asset.
Like the other poster said those are extreme examples. A quick search on the net and I can find 100s of s2ks for under 20k. matter of fact s2ks are so cheap and plentiful most people around here buy them to tear up on autocross.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
Like the other poster said those are extreme examples. A quick search on the net and I can find 100s of s2ks for under 20k. matter of fact s2ks are so cheap and plentiful most people around here buy them to tear up on autocross.
And 99% of those examples are piles of un-taken care for junk. I've been trying to find a quality S2000 for under 20k for the last year within 300 miles which covers me all the way to Austin TX and nothing has shown up. Steering wheels coming apart, seat leather coming apart, bumper dings for miles, hail damage, paint fade, zero maintenance history, dirty inside and out, curbed up rims and most importantly.... zero single owners. Most of these cars have also been auctioned at some point to the highest low bidder that did who knows what to make them look presentable. Hurts my heart.

Edit: Calling them junk isn't correct, for cheap autocross they are fine, but if you want a good example of the vehicle, it's not there.

Last edited:

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My one neighbour around the corner from myself has a Boost Blue CTR. He just recently wrapped the hood and roof. Honestly staring at it every day makes me want to immediately get one once I pay off my Si. They’re such nice cars, I think other than him, I’ve seen a CTR about once a month, maybe less. I don’t see many Sis either, but my co-worker has a black 2 door Si that I love staring at.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
And 99% of those examples are piles of un-taken care for junk. I've been trying to find a quality S2000 for under 20k for the last year within 300 miles which covers me all the way to Austin TX and nothing has shown up. Steering wheels coming apart, seat leather coming apart, bumper dings for miles, hail damage, paint fade, zero maintenance history, dirty inside and out, curbed up rims and most importantly.... zero single owners. Most of these cars have also been auctioned at some point to the lowest bidder that did who knows what to make them look presentable. Hurts my heart.

Edit: Calling them junk isn't correct, for cheap autocross they are fine, but if you want a good example of the vehicle, it's not there.
Yeah, you and I are actually on the same page. And what you said is sorta my point with the type R. How many on here are not modded, not tracked, not owned by 20 somethings? Give it a few years and yeah there will 1 or 2 examples of a type R that might go up in value. But in the real world most are gonna end up like the s2000.

All these people saying its gonna go up yeah sure if you dont drive it, are the original owner, didnt mod it and its totally mint with no miles on it. But in the real world 99 percent of these type Rs are gonna be sub 10k beaters in a few years. The other 1 percent is gonna be like you looking for a "good" s2000 they will be hard to find. And if you do yeah will pay top dollar or the owners love the car which is why its mint and wont be selling it. But again will be the exception not the rule.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've only seen one north of Orlando, they're not too common down here. I'm sure overall they're fairly uncommon but not "rare" lol.
Mine's bone stock and I plan on driving it and enjoying it and then when the time is right selling it to someone who'll appreciate the condition it's in with all the records I've kept of maintenance.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
And 99% of those examples are piles of un-taken care for junk. I've been trying to find a quality S2000 for under 20k for the last year within 300 miles which covers me all the way to Austin TX and nothing has shown up. Steering wheels coming apart, seat leather coming apart, bumper dings for miles, hail damage, paint fade, zero maintenance history, dirty inside and out, curbed up rims and most importantly.... zero single owners. Most of these cars have also been auctioned at some point to the highest low bidder that did who knows what to make them look presentable. Hurts my heart.

Look nationwide. Good cars are out there.

Not sure why single owner is most important. Condition trumps all.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Look nationwide. Good cars are out there.

Not sure why single owner is most important. Condition trumps all.
Gotta agree there number of owners is really irrelevant. Could have had 3 owners all treated it like gold or one owner that treated it like a pile of crap. Forget owners and just go by condition and mechanical soundness.

jayevo23

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
People treat the car like it's rare whenever I decide to go for a drive. People either stare, ask me what it is, or say they haven't seen too many around. It actually surprises me since the car has been out 3 years. As far as resale value goes, I honestly don't see the value of this car dropping drastically anytime soon. I just got a notification from KBB either this week or last week saying my car went up value.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
People treat the car like it's rare whenever I decide to go for a drive. People either stare, ask me what it is, or say they haven't seen too many around. It actually surprises me since the car has been out 3 years. As far as resale value goes, I honestly don't see the value of this car dropping drastically anytime soon. I just got a notification from KBB either this week or last week saying my car went up value.
I mean well that is KBB which no dealer goes by. I quick search shows tons of used rs in the 33/34k area and thats dealer retail so you know they gave about 27 to 30 for them. Its not hard to find them for 31 either so you know they only got about 25k for it. I got 31,500 for mine and that was best offer out of 17 dealers. There is even a certified preowned near me for 32k that is hardly going up in value. I mean dont get me wrong they hold value better then most other cars but they hardly go up in value. I can with a little looking now buy one cheaper then I sold mine for.

I still love the car and plan on getting another but used once they go down a bit more.

Last edited:

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type-R, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
I know I bought the wrong car to feel invisible in (I came from a hybrid SUV lmao), but seeing more Type-R's on the road wouldn't hurt. Maybe could hurt future depreciation, but I wouldn't mind being left largely alone and stuff haha

Chrisp1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Type R, 12' Mustang, 05' STI
Country flag
I never really worry about numbers, a good car will become successful and it will sell thus the manufacturer continuing to produce.

If it’s a sought after vehicle to begin with changes are one day it will still be..like the nsx, s2k’s and older type r’s etc.

IMO the key is maintaining your vehicle. This is something people can’t do for months and years let alone 15/20 years down the line. You will see decreasing numbers over the years on the road and chances are the ones you see will be butchered and rough by then.

From experience our 05 STI is absolutely mint with 100k and people are constantly asking if it’s for sale or lusting over it..why because it was a sought after year and a car with that age and in this condition is a rarity in itself.

enjoy your car but take care of it!
Sponsored