Rarity!!

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I don't see many out there. It's certainly not near as common as the sti or golf r in my area.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I don't see many out there. It's certainly not near as common as the sti or golf r in my area.
I do see quite a few STIs and Golf Rs. I don't quite see as many Focus RS' though as those other two.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I do see quite a few STIs and Golf Rs. I don't quite see as many Focus RS' though as those other two.
The focus rs, at least in Canada in its last year had an MSRP of almost $20k more than a type r. No wonder they didn't sell!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The focus rs, at least in Canada in its last year had an MSRP of almost $20k more than a type r. No wonder they didn't sell!
It was sold marked up in the US like the Type R. Though those markups stopped towards the end as they didn't sell super marked up :p I did test drive one before I got the Type R. The interior was really dark and tight; the seating position was extremely awkward.

Edit: I wasn't driving it hard, but apparently the salesman wanted to test drive it, he drove it a bit hard... Damn thing pulled hard.

Lyttle

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I would say this is accurate for my area as well, I believe in my location the STI is the most common as well.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I will get one if itā€™s automatic

supaaacharge98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX Coupe
Country flag
I have seen a couple in the DMV area. Can't say I see them way too often, but on 66 I have seen a couple here and there.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I mean what is yalls definition of rare? IM seeing 2020s with badges in the 30s (and thats world wide) and that is into the 4th model year, so there isn't that many. And considering they pump our about 300k regular civics a year in the US alone I would say it is fairly rare.

Dont want them too rare, then people would not make as many aftermarket items and if they did would cost out the back side. Repairs would be more... so on... I personally think they are just rare enough that you can be only one at a show with one but then also its not too hard to get up with other owners and talk shop.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember dealers, the first year they came out, telling everyone they were only going to be produced for that year and that was it. I still laugh at people who payed $60k plus for an R.

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty rare here on the east coast. New Jersey. Don't believe I've seen another one since I acquired mine in early May.
I'm in the same boat, same location. Pretty sure we don't see them much because of constant road construction and people being afraid to invest this much in a daily driver with how wacky and inconsistent our seasons can get. I've only ever come across <10 in the wild and always on sunny days at leisure driving times.

Even though I have one now, I'm still always so happy when I see another. Such a great car, spread the love!

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
More type R's to me is a good thing. It gives me more backup parts when they get in accidents and it will grow our following so that more aftermarket parts are made for them. Let alone our forums will grow enabling more people to contribute to the hobby. I've had cars that are so rare that it's hard to find parts for them both new and used. Let alone any information or DIYs are non-existent.
But like others said really the amount of them that have been made in four years is not really a lot. I rarely see type Rs here in town and I live in a major city.

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Last week I saw a different Type-R, 5 days in a row. But even then. Youll see 1, you wont see 7. You wont see the highway full of them like a truly mass produced vehicle. That being said I've seen more Type-Rs, than I have Golf Rs. Granted I dont want them to end up being the Dodge Charger of Japanese cars, but making/selling roughly 12k every model year makes it rare enough to make you smile when you see another one on the road.
Imagine if Type Rs became congested on the road like chargers/challengers

I feel like it would look so weird because the Rs look is so polarizing lol

Even when I see just 1 on the road im like jeez this thing lol and then I forget im in one too

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
I donā€™t know if itā€™s just me, but I feel like they mass producing the the heck of the civic type r! I bought this car thinking they making under 30,000 or even less but damn they planning to do a makeover soon sheesh!! Donā€™t get me wrong Iā€™m a proud owner of the type r but now I feel like they just doing it to much! Tell me how yā€™all feel??!!
Donā€˜t care about total production numbers but do appreciate how Honda has managed availability which helps keep value strong.

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only see one once in a blue moon around here so i think they're pretty rare. I do see a lot of SI's, STI and Golf R around here.
Sponsored