Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
When I used to own a BRZ, my warranty claim was denied because I had an aftermarket shift knob that was weighted. My problem was the shifter would get stuck in the neutral gate from 5th to 4th and would have to be physically ripped out of gear. If Subaru blamed a shift knob for an obvious shift linkage / trans issue I HIGHLY doubt Honda would overlook the car being tuned. I did however visit a different dealer and had my transmission replaced but it took nearly 4 months for that to finally get approved.

This whole thing smells like BS to me based off my experiences. I’d love to be wrong though because if my engine ever goes kaboom I’d like to be covered.
Sponsored

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
Happy OP got it covered, its never fun reading about people having to shell out big bucks to get their car back on the road (regardless if they contributed to the problem or not). But, like others have mentioned, the "this shouldn't happen at these power levels" defense isn't a good one. Honda will also say you "shouldn't" tune our ECUs as per our warranty conditions lol

This would have to fall under a goodwill repair, which happens but is usually rare for very costly repairs that have clear grounds for denial. Blown engine on a performance car Honda knows people track and modify? They would absolutely check to see if the ECU was flashed.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the dealer realized they sold a tuned car after the fact and feared OP going after them following a warranty claim denial? Because I doubt they sold him the car disclosing that his powertrain warranty was essentially useless due to the tune.

Still.....the dealer themselves would then have to eat the cost, unless they find a clever way to submit the claim without showing the ECU data? I really don't know, doesn't make sense but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Seems like a very rare "stars all aligned" scenario for OP. Consider yourself lucky. Younger dudes out there who can barely afford the car as is: see this as the exception to the rule and don't tune your car cuz all the cools kids are doing it if you can't afford to fix it out of pocket!

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
he admitted to flashing it several times with ktuner v2, whether he boutht it tuned or not, he's been tuning for 35k mileage at least

Whitectrchamp

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 type r
Country flag
he admitted to flashing it several times with ktuner v2, whether he boutht it tuned or not, he's been tuning for 35k mileage at least
How has he been running for 35k mileage when his car only has 19k miles looks like you just trying to bring him down and say he is lying you don’t even know what U reading why can’t you just be happy for him that Honda covered it instead of trying to say he lying and trying to blame it on him

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How has he been running for 35k mileage when his car only has 19k miles looks like you just trying to bring him down and say he is lying you don’t even know what U reading why can’t you just be happy for him that Honda covered it instead of trying to say he lying and trying to blame it on him
Honda Civic 10th gen Randomly Blown Bottom End Screenshot_20210320-102340_Outlook

That answer your question?

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok, thats his Si, but in either case, he is a wreckless driver and deserves to blow his shit up ?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
ok, thats his Si, but in either case, he is a wreckless driver and deserves to blow his shit up ?
Not sure he "deserved" to have issues. It sucks that his R did this. None of us should wish that on him.

I just wonder (based on his "I raised everything to the roof on that tune" comment on his Si) what really happened to cause his R to blow. And what settings he was using on his tune.

This would help the community.

Last edited:

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I'm the forum's most prolific poster.
You ever try that line at a bar? You must be a devil with the ladies, my friend :p

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You ever try that line at a bar? You must be a devil with the ladies, my friend :p
No. I just mention I'm the "tuning megathread statistician". lol

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My dealership follows my IG so there’s no Oh yes I was stock and then.....

They’ve reposted my car on their page too.

they still do routine maintenance on the car when I don’t have time to do it myself.

but I’m not kidding myself if I blow up.

thread is kinda getting side tracked with op getting bashed.
if Honda coughed up a new motor for you. Good on ya! Not all dealerships are that friendly lol.

Whitectrchamp

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 type r
Country flag
Dam you really are a shit ain’t you nobody deserves to blow their engine and everyone one that has a type r atleast drives it hard once what’s the point of having a 300hp car to just look at it and drive it like an old man don’t be a dick to people you never know if one day that may be you

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Hey now! Some old men don't drive like "old men"!!!:cool:
Dam you really are a shit ain’t you nobody deserves to blow their engine and everyone one that has a type r atleast drives it hard once what’s the point of having a 300hp car to just look at it and drive it like an old man don’t be a dick to people you never know if one day that may be you

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Why aren't they saying what went wrong? Something seems amiss here.

So Honda said...

"You blew your motor and were tuned. Cool."

"We accidentally gave you a shitty motor from the factory."

"Here, have another one free on us".

"Accept our apologies".

"Happy tuning!" Lol
Everything comes down to Honda having the money to fix every car out there but pushing the envelope of maximum profits. Honda decides in the end where to draw the line. We usually don't unless we have taken Honda to court and have a good lawyer or case. You have to consider many more factors than the few facts we were selectively given. Such as:

1. this is Iowa. This is the state that has is granted more weight of opinion in the presidential race than other states.

2. The past doesn't matter as much as the future and Honda does know that to ruin their reputation if their action could jeopardize that reputation especially in a market probably ripe for selling big SUV's and trucks.

3. It may be just accepted that Iowans will tune and abuse their cars because 'Murica!

4. Other unknown factors that tip the scale. Perhaps the dealer is not making much money and Honda is throwing them a bone. 90% of the warranty claims pertain more to the dealer in question than does the vehicle owner. Why are we even sitting here discussing the vehicle and owner in question, given this fact? Trust me, vehicle services are the lifeblood of a dealership and motor replacements are like good pork!! Everyone needs a little meat every now and then even if its Iowa raised ham! ?
Sponsored