tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
i am covered just not by honda, no expense to me, sucks to be you since you cant read the full thread. Your still lacking proof of an entire motor rofl so stfu ?

and just to correct you, there was nothing wrong with the AC hardware, just needed reload.

furthermore, blown engines and condensers are not specific per model, whether you are type R or not. Your issue can be same on any forum section, don't think you are special for being here for the result of your own negligence & stupidity. So far you havn't provided proof of repair which is what everyone is waiting for. Nothing but delays and bloat of how much honda is kissing your ass, so who is going to believe that "story".
Sponsored

Last edited:

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
When I really consider it, we accept a much shittier level of post sales support in the car world, taken against say, software companies or computer hardware companies, or really any other similar industry.

The thing is I don't have a catastrophic failure of my own to draw on experience from, other than one that was self induced on another platform, but I feel like if he really didn't have an agressive tune and they are really covering it, good. Good for everyone.

I think we can all agree there are 3 to 4 meme worthy issues with the fk8, and I'm not going to call them provably true or false, but the memes I know of are, in order of hearing about them as a new owner are:

"it's overheating at the track"

"help I went to 2nd gear too fast oh no why does it feel and sound broken"(in the srt 4 world, you don't grind but the shift knob pops off and nails the rear window for sure)

"Why the fuck doesn't my air conditioning work?"

And "I threw a mild tune at it and it blew up" (Occasionally with peak dyno brag) *THREAD DELETED* *INSTAGRAM AND FACEBOOK DELTED*

With maybe a special mention for I lit my brakes on fire and boiled the stock fluid, my stock tires lasted 10k, "it's your wiring harness", the fuel pump recall, random weird oil leaks.

I guess my point is, if in this situation a dealer said, wtf, dudeman is driving it hard, but it shit the bed for an entirely unrelated reason, let's replace it. And they took the time to look at it and make the right call, we should all only be lauding it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy the OP got this resolved but...

We know the car was tuned. We know Honda will investigate blown engines fairly thoroughly because it's fairly rare and a huge warranty expense. We know that they have the ability to see that the ECU has been flash tuned...

What exactly did Honda and the dealer conclude that allowed them to overlook the tune's additional power and stress and pay for the repair? Because honestly, a tune would usually cause an instant warranty denial.

I think this would be good info for the community.

Last edited:

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
What exactly did Honda and the dealer conclude that allowed them to overlook the tune's additional power and stress and pay for the repair? Because honestly, a tune would usually cause an instant warranty denial.
Here's the thing - we don't know. Now I said it before and I'll say it again: I am happy to be wrong. But I'm not at all going to take this at face value for now.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
All I am going to say is the one time I had a short block replaced under warranty, it took over a month where my car was at dealer. This timeline seems extremely fast.
Hence my post. My friend's 1.5T EX ate the bottom end from a tech doing a lube/oil/filter (LOF) and not putting in new oil.

It took three weeks for Honda to green light the repair in an instance where it was obviously not a fault by the owner or the car itself. This was also pre-pandemic and any sort of parts shortages we have now.

OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
Maybe since I live in Iowa things move faster then your overpopulated areas. Call the BS you want lol. Honda thinks there was a problem so that was their decision. Assuming wiring harness is needed maybe for 19-21 engine, I’m uncertain any other reason why they would need one if it was fine.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
Maybe since I live in Iowa things move faster then your overpopulated areas. Call the BS you want lol. Honda thinks there was a problem so that was their decision. Assuming wiring harness is needed maybe for 19-21 engine, I’m uncertain any other reason why they would need one if it was fine.
Glad things are moving along!

Just curious though, why are they replacing the wiring harness? Sorry if you mentioned it earlier.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Ah yes, Iowa, known for its fast life and quick commerce. Iowa has all of the major ports there and is one of the largest states in the US for trade. It's where the majority of brands and companies build headquarters and is known as the, "Singapore of the west".

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
Ah yes, Iowa, known for its fast life and quick commerce. Iowa has all of the major ports there and is one of the largest states in the US for trade. It's where the majority of brands and companies build headquarters and is known as the, "Singapore of the west".
You watch your mouth. That’s where Field of Dreams is located. Lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why aren't they saying what went wrong? Something seems amiss here.

So Honda said...

"You blew your motor and were tuned. Cool."

"We accidentally gave you a shitty motor from the factory."

"Here, have another one free on us".

"Accept our apologies".

"Happy tuning!" Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
Why aren't they saying what went wrong? Something seems amiss here.

So Honda said "You blew your motor and were tuned. Cool. We accidentally gave you a shitty motor from the factory. Here, have another one free on us". Accept our apologies". Lol
I don’t know, they didn’t tell me anything other then there was a hole in the bottom end. I don’t know what communications have been made between dealerships/honda.

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
View attachment 280883
I don’t know, they didn’t tell me anything other then there was a hole in the bottom end. I don’t know what communications have been made between dealerships/honda.
first the transmission then the motor? Why stop at warranty, push for lemon law while your at it...