jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Wheel slip on a slick surface hitting the rev limiter certainly shouldn't cause an overrev nor should it damage the engine, that's the whole reason the rev limiter is even there.

Unless OP let it bounce off the rev limiter for more than a few seconds or he increased the rev limiter with flashpro.
In winter, 93 basemap, with Hondata TC enabled, front pipe, PRL intake, exhaust, I had to lower my AC, and add some fuel in a voltage ranges (can’t remember). From the logs I would get peak fp duty when rolling low speed wot, hondata TC was engaging, with cold tires and cold pavement. I can see shit blowing up from that.

Also I learned to love dampened 1-2. I have a custom winter tune to further help limit things. Also who trusts this winter gas blend huh?

Some here have stout FPs. My car is just not one of those.

But you’d never know if you never looked at the logs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
askro

askro

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CR-V & 2017 Type R-00606
Country flag
My dealership are good people and have helped me out before. I’ve barely drove the car to it’s limits.. yeah I beat on it sometimes but who doesn’t it’s a f**king track car. I know how to drive and the tiny bolt ons on my car aren’t going to cause this huge failure, roast me all you want lol I don’t care. I haven’t had KTuner on the car for over a month and 80% of the miles I’ve put on the car is highway miles at speed limit in 6th cruising back and forth to work and an occasionally 130 mile round trip to my girlfriends house and back (with and without KTuner) I’ve done 3 oil changes in the past 7500 miles I’ve driven. I don’t see any room or place for this to have happened from my driving habits or upkeep. There is no more story to what I said. Driving highway speed limit in 6th, no boost, shit exploded. I have no reason to fabricate any story. I’ve never drag race or tracked the car either.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
My dealership are good people and have helped me out before. I’ve barely drove the car to it’s limits.. yeah I beat on it sometimes but who doesn’t it’s a f**king track car. I know how to drive and the tiny bolt ons on my car aren’t going to cause this huge failure, roast me all you want lol I don’t care. I haven’t had KTuner on the car for over a month and 80% of the miles I’ve put on the car is highway miles at speed limit in 6th cruising back and forth to work and an occasionally 130 mile round trip to my girlfriends house and back (with and without KTuner) I’ve done 3 oil changes in the past 7500 miles I’ve driven. I don’t see any room or place for this to have happened from my driving habits or upkeep. There is no more story to what I said. Driving highway speed limit in 6th, no boost, shit exploded. I have no reason to fabricate any story. I’ve never drag race or tracked the car either.
Good luck man and keep us updated! Curious to see what the heck happened and what broke.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
I dont think anyone needs to roast anybody over this, but there certainly was a lot of speculation because I think people believe theres more to the story than what is being told.

hopefully you come out of this on top given the mods done to the car. Interested to see what the conclusion is.

tonton81

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
honda doesnt care about your condensor issues, what makes you think they'll warranty a blown engine with visible mods?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
What’s the update from the dealer. ?
I'd put the probability of the dealer fixing this on their dime at 10%.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I traded in my GTI for the R and surprisingly got a very fair offer for it. Get a call 2 months later and they said a potential buyer wants to know if it has a heavier aftermarket clutch installed, which it did......

They don't give 2 shits lol it took them all of 2 minutes of checking the car out to make me a trade in offer based on some generic algorithm. A few back and forths and we came to an agreement. Car was advertised as just a clean GTI despite numerous modifications to the trans + suspension that that they also never noticed.

They didn't even plug in an OBD reader to scan for fault codes let alone overrev counts.....
Similar story, traded in my 2018 Si that had damage on the rear bumper from a hit and run with some paint missing but car was modern steel metallic so it was hard to see. Damaged underneath front bumper along with some decent curb rash and a couple over revs. I didn't INTENTIONALLY try t hide it but I didn't say anything, they took one 5 minute test drive around the block came back and said everything was good. Saw it listed a few days later with all the damage visible saying it's CPO.

Dealerships are incredibly lazy with CPO and so much shit goes under the radar... I know we can see OP's old posts about tuning/beating it but I think it could be very possible the previous owner had a bad tune on it or just did some shit that the dealer didn't see. Then again if OP knowingly still drove the car hard after dealing with issues with the tune being stuck at 70% etc then that's on him

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
Then again if OP knowingly still drove the car hard after dealing with issues with the tune being stuck at 70% etc then that's on him
Unfortunately, these are the dumb mistakes we make in life that end up costing the big bucks. He had a couple warning signs if some of the quoted posts that people have put up are correct, should have heeded those.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately, these are the dumb mistakes we make in life that end up costing the big bucks. He had a couple warning signs if some of the quoted posts that people have put up are correct, should have heeded those.
Yes agreed, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but based on his history it seems like this will be an expensive lesson. Always better to fix it before it's too late.

jdm_mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 FK8 CTR & More
Country flag
I'd put the probability of the dealer fixing this on their dime at 10%.
He prob threaten to take this to social media so said dealer might have to goodwill it LOL. I've seen it a few times here in Canada

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I love the bickering about this lmao!

Bolt ons and basemaps ftmfw!....from two different companies....with self admitted beating on the car....and an intake known to cause MAF signal issues....

seems quite simple...

"BuT iT wOnT hAPpeN To mE!!"

Sorry for your loss OP. You'll tread more carefully moving forward I imagine...

TheGreekFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BB CTR, '23 SO 4Runner TRD Pro
Country flag
The "beating on the car" thing is irrelevant. It's true that these are performance hot hatches built to be driven hard. Bounce off the rev limiter (different from an overrev from an improper downshift), brake hard, launch it if that's your thing.....that alone shouldn't cause an issue, the car can handle it if properly warmed up with good fuel/clean oil.

The entire problem is the ECU was tuned. Conservative or not in your book, you are now dipping into the margin of safety built in by Honda. Doesn't guarantee a failure.....but that is the relevant factor. Even after removing the tune, the history is there.

Again, I'm rooting for this guy. I've had a goodwill repair on a modded vehicle before.....it happens. I just think he seems a little too confident that its gonna happen due to being on good terms with his dealer.

It's not the dealer that decides......its Honda that approves it. Dealer can play stupid with them on your behalf but if they ask for data off the ECU, it's out of the dealer's hands. They can even send out an engineer to look over it carefully and report back before shelling out $10K in parts/labor to cover it.

Best of luck OP, hope it works out in your favor. For the sake of general knowledge, please post the outcome (good or bad).
Sponsored

Last edited: