AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Not trying to get beat up here but the guy did bring up a valid point regarding unsprung weight, tires and wheels.

We do sometimes see folks initially get unsprung weight reduction by buying lightweight wheels only to put substantially wider and heavier than stock tires on. And sure you get better than stock grip. But you lose some of the unsprung weight advantages (better acceleration, braking) those lightweight wheels potentially bring.

Like anything else, mods sometimes have some tradeoffs.
I'm not gonna beat up on you if you can have a meaningful discussion with me.

It's always a balancing act and trying to figure out what the best setup is going to be but there isn't one right answer.

Yes, more unsprung weight is bad. And if you look at just that there's no arguing it. But unsprung weight is one factor in a big equation.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Not trying to get beat up here but the guy did bring up a valid point regarding unsprung weight, tires and wheels.

We do sometimes see folks initially get unsprung weight reduction by buying lightweight wheels only to put substantially wider and heavier than stock tires on. And sure you get better than stock grip. But you lose some of the unsprung weight advantages (better acceleration, braking) those lightweight wheels potentially bring.

Like anything else, mods sometimes have some tradeoffs.
you mention unsprung weight like its the only thing that matters.

sure less unsprung weight = better braking but you know what else gives better braking? more tire grip.

sure less unsprung weight = better acceleration but you know what else gives better acceleration (especially out of a corner at the track)? more tire grip

how do you get more tire grip? wider tires or more stickier compound.
its all a balancing act depending on your wants/goals with the car.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Big equation indeed. And to me, that's the great thing about modding. There isn't necessarily one way to go.

I've been modding cars longer than most here have been on the planet. All mods have plusses and minuses.

I mean I love my tune but in the back of my mind I know there's a possibility my drivetrain warranty is gone. Cold air intakes are generally a good thing but get caught in a flash flood and you might be screwed. Even cosmetic stuff can have good and bad. Drill some holes in the decklid for a new spoiler and 6 months later decide you don't like it... could be a problem.

On the other hand, I think that guy came across as his way or the highway when it comes to modding and that's not how it works. Modding isn't one size fits all.

And back to the unsprung weight thing, I get it about grippier tires. I never said unsprung weight was the end all. Was simply saying that guy wasn't completely wrong on that one minor point.

Last edited:

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you're putting on the 18x9.5 Titan 7s, you are shedding about 10 lbs, I believe they are 19 lbs vs 29 for stock. TE37s are about the same I believe. These are two of the most common replacement wheels for the CTR, tires aren't going to be that heavier if at all depending on the model. The Michelin PS4S is 22 lbs at the stock 245/30/20 spec and 25 lbs at the 265/35/18 spec according to TireRack. So you win out on weight and now you have way more grip.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
I'm not into modding aside from a few aesthetics, my civic is a daily and I have other cars to blast along UK B roads and track. I really pleased for the OP its a great result for him and the whole post has been an interesting read on the most part. Only thing I would say is that when something serious like this goes wrong and the dealer has to be involved if you have carried out engine modifications it must cause quite a bit of stress for any individual when having to go back to a dealership for a potential warranty claim.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Only thing I would say is that when something serious like this goes wrong and the dealer has to be involved if you have carried out engine modifications it must cause quite a bit of stress for any individual when having to go back to a dealership for a potential warranty claim.
Yes and no. Yes, absolutely tuning adds additional stress but the base and ots tunes available are fairly conservative. The pro tuners out there like Doug from Hondata, JR from KTuner, John from Phearable and Derek from IMWTuned are making their tunes with safety in mind.

Based on my tuning reliability thread, the vast majority of tune failures come from abuse and neglect. The nut behind the wheel, so to speak.

In the case of the OP, Honda must have strongly suspected a factory defect for them to have used warranty on a tuned vehicle. Either that, or he knows somebody who knows somebody. :cool:

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
And back to the unsprung weight thing, I get it about grippier tires. I never said unsprung weight was the end all. Was simply saying that guy wasn't completely wrong on that one minor point.
I dont think I implied that he was wrong at all just to be 100% clear. Really the majority of what I asked was for more explanation behind what hes saying. Wheel size, weight, offset are all important things yes, but you dont get to just get to throw out the term "scrub radius" and expect people to take you seriously.

Do we even need to mention how different the TCR FK8 is from stock and how well it performs? You already mentioned it, its about balance. Oh and what do ya know

The Civic Type R's stock 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four engine is only modified with free-flowing intake and stainless exhaust, a high-flow catalytic converter, and MoTec M146 engine mapping. J.A.S. modifications route approximately 340 peak horsepower and 310 lb-ft of torque (a modest gain of 34 hp and 15 lb-ft) through a twin-disc sintered-metallic clutch into an Xtrac sequential six-speed transmission. There's also a trick differential between the front wheels. As is the case with race cars, highly customizable settings for the limited-slip differential—including various homologated differential ramps and preload—are apparently the key in this car's proper race setup. Cast aluminum 10.0-by-18-inch OZ racing wheels and Michelin slicks replace the 8.5-by-20-inch wheels and tires.
Guess the TCR team is killing all that low end torque with this combo.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
in the end, tires are the only thing connecting your car and the road.
no matter what modifications you do to suspension or brakes(handling and braking), if the tires are not good enough to maximize those modifications, your wasting a part of it.
Sponsored