Random Codes After CVT Fluid Change

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
I just finished up the cvt transmission fluid change on my 2.0L. Was quite the job having to get the airbox off as this was my first time, but I managed to get it done with some help from a friend. But, after completing the job and lowering the car back down and starting it, it was throwing a bunch of random codes:
Vehicle stability assist error
Brake hold system error
Power steering system error
Brake system error
Emissions system error (This was expected because we had unplugged the MAF sensor)

We drove around a bit and the power steering worked fine and the vehicle stability assist too, but the brake hold would not activate. We got some food and 20 minutes later turned the car back on and all the codes were gone. Everything worked fine including the brake hold system. I don't hear any odd noises and the car runs nice and smooth. Should I still be worried about all the codes that were being thrown? I am thinking of going down to my mechanic tomorrow to check it out, but like I said all the codes are gone so I'm not sure if I need to. If any one has experience with this, please let me know.

And just one more question. When we filled the fluid back, we had the check bolt open and poured in about 3 liters at which point it started to spill out of the check hole. So we then put everything back in place, airbox too and ran through the gears waiting in each for 5 seconds from P to L and L to P. Opened the check hole and since it wasn't flowing anymore, we added some more fluid until it started to trickle out again. In total we added about 3.7 liters while the manual calls for 3.5. Is this an issue? Should I drain some out or is that okay? When we initially took out the fluid it was flowing a little harder than when we put it back in, but, I don't think it should take more than this much fluid.
Sponsored

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
If the tires rotate while the car is off the ground it tends to throw all of the lights until driven for awhile so it knows everything is normal again.
I would only fill to the check bolt one time but I'm not sure how honda techs do it since there is no info in manual other then they want us to have dealer do it. But with oil i always run car until warm and then check levels so maybe it would be the same with trans.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The codes should clear after driving, but it's an annoyance.
I'm quite sure the manual procedure says: lower the car, then go through the gears, then lift it again.

So when I need to change my CVT fluid I will have the front on ramps, rear on jack stands, so there should be no problem. Otherwise, if I had it all on jack stands, I would try to somehow block the front wheels to prevent this happening.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
A few detail questions to ensure you set the level correctly (these are steps straight from the service manual):
  1. Was the vehicle level when you filled up to the check hole the first time?
  2. Did you heat the vehicle up (radiator fan turns on twice) after initial fill?
  3. Was the vehicle level you ran through the gears?
  4. Did you hold your foot on the brake when running through the gears?
  5. Was the vehicle level when you added the second amount of fluid?
As long as the answers are 'yes' to the above questions, you have done the job correctly.

Other questions that would affect VSA and other lights you mentioned:
  1. Did you unplug the battery? Any time you unplug the battery, these lights will come on, and they will go away when you drive around.
  2. Did you ever run the engine with the MAF unplugged? Not sure why you would, but this will cause the emissions light. Not sure when it will go away.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
In total we added about 3.7 liters while the manual calls for 3.5. Is this an issue?
the capacities listed in the manual are ESTIMATES ONLY

pay no attention to them,

assuming you let the vehicle warm up enough while running it through the gears, then you did the job properly,

you should have warmed it up enough to have the fans come on and cycle,

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
Thank you for all the replies

So as for the error lights, they all did go away last night after a bit of driving and having the car off for 15 minutes. I have no clue what might have caused it, but as long as it's not an issue now, that's fine.

For the fluid level, I did as Gruber did, front on ramps and the rear raised up on jack stands. My garage floor is flat and I am fairly certain the car was as flat/level as it could be. We used the iPhone level checker app and put it against the inside of the passenger side door jam and put it up against the middle of the pinchweld and it said it was level. I'm not sure if I could have gotten it any more precise than that.

And BrandonSmith, to answer all those questions:

1. The vehicle was level when we filled it up, or at least based on how we checked if it was level.
2. After the initial fill, we warmed it up to normal operating temperature which took about 15 minutes or so. Basically until the temp gauge was at the point where it is normally when we drive.
3. Yes, we left the vehicle on the ramps and stands the entire time
4 Yes, I did hold my foot on the brake while going through the gears
5. Yes, vehicle was level when we added the second round of fluid

We filled it up until we started seeing a small amount trickling out. I believe the service manual says to stop filling once the check hole overflows, which it did, but I'm not sure if it needs to overflow by a "Certain amount" ie flow heavily, slow flow etc. It could just be paranoia since this was my first time doing a transmission fluid change.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
We filled it up until we started seeing a small amount trickling out. I believe the service manual says to stop filling once the check hole overflows, which it did, but I'm not sure if it needs to overflow by a "Certain amount" ie flow heavily, slow flow etc. It could just be paranoia since this was my first time doing a transmission fluid change.
it only needs to trickle out,

as soon as you see the first drop come out put the plug in

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
it only needs to trickle out,

as soon as you see the first drop come out put the plug in
As soon as I could see it come out, we plugged it back up. So I guess I'm good then. The transmission shifts into gear nice and smooth and there's no weird noise or anything, so I'm probably just being paranoid.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
As soon as I could see it come out, we plugged it back up. So I guess I'm good then. The transmission shifts into gear nice and smooth and there's no weird noise or anything, so I'm probably just being paranoid.
its fine then,

did you use new washers on the drain and check plugs?

and more importantly, did you use a torque wrench?

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
its fine then,

did you use new washers on the drain and check plugs?

and more importantly, did you use a torque wrench?
I just measured what came out right now and looks around 3.75L give or take a bit that spilled over. I filled in about 3.8L so I should be okay. I did use a new washer for the drain plug, but the dealership did not tell me I need a new washer for the check plug when I asked. And yes I torqued the drain plug to 36 ft/lbs and the check hole to 15 ft/lbs. Should I go and grab a washer for the check hole? I have not read anywhere that you need a new one, only for the drain plug.

pumpkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018vic
Country flag
I just measured what came out right now and looks around 3.75L give or take a bit that spilled over. I filled in about 3.8L so I should be okay. I did use a new washer for the drain plug, but the dealership did not tell me I need a new washer for the check plug when I asked. And yes I torqued the drain plug to 36 ft/lbs and the check hole to 15 ft/lbs. Should I go and grab a washer for the check hole? I have not read anywhere that you need a new one, only for the drain plug.
up to you, it should be fine i guess, but i always replace them

i don't think that torque spec on the check plug is correct, where did you get it from?

going by memory, i think the check plug is 32 ft/lbs...drain plug 36

i could almost tighten 15 lbs using my fingers

OP
OP

OilChange123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX CVT
Country flag
up to you, it should be fine i guess,

i don't think that torque spec on the check plug is correct, where did you get it from?

going by memory, i think the check plug is 32 ft/lbs...drain plug 36

i could almost tighten 15 lbs using my fingers
I read it here somewhere, but I can go back and torque it down with a new washer anyways. Hopefully it's reachable by just removing the airbox because getting the front end of this car up was not a fun time.

Edit: Here's the thread where I found the check bolt torque: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/cvt-fluid-change.10395/page-6#:~:text=Check bolt torque: 15 ft.

If anyone has a better source they can link me to for the torque specs, I appreciate that

Update: Was at the mechanic today for an alignment and had him just torque the check hole down to spec. Thank you everyone for the help.
Sponsored

Last edited: