Random clutch question

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sometimes when I’m shifting, when I put my foot on the clutch it almost feels like the clutch doesn’t go down all the way - it’s like it stops maybe 85% of the way. What’s weirder is this isn’t common - it might happen like once or twice a drive, and I use the same pressure to push it down as I normally do. It just feels like it stops before it fully hits the floor.

I can’t tell if it’s in my head or I’m actually not depressing the clutch fully but when I shift I don’t really feel or hear anything different so I’m not sure to be worried about it.

Unrelated, but I also have the OEM all weather mats installed and I feel like they make it more difficult to release the clutch if my heel is anchored against the floor (I have size 13 shoes so it’s easier to shift like that). When I raise my heel off the floor it seems like I can get a smoother release but I learned to shift with the heel against the floor so it’s a hard habit to break. Anyone else have issues like that?
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I always bring my foot off the floor to release the clutch. Trying to keep the foot/ heel on the floor and modulate the clutch is a horrible idea. Buy an auto for that.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I always bring my foot off the floor to release the clutch. Trying to keep the foot/ heel on the floor and modulate the clutch is a horrible idea. Buy an auto for that.
I had a feeling it was a bad habit. It helped when learning, but it’s stuck with me. I’m gonna try to undo the muscle memory then...

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I can’t tell if it’s in my head or I’m actually not depressing the clutch fully but when I shift I don’t really feel or hear anything different so I’m not sure to be worried about it.

Unrelated, but I also have the OEM all weather mats installed and I feel like they make it more difficult to release the clutch if my heel is anchored against the floor (I have size 13 shoes so it’s easier to shift like that). When I raise my heel off the floor it seems like I can get a smoother release but I learned to shift with the heel against the floor so it’s a hard habit to break. Anyone else have issues like that?
If you haven't had problems shifting, I'd say it's probably just in your head.

I have the all-weather mats and it is a little different with some of my shoes. I've always kept my heal on the floor and have no problem getting a smooth release. I wouldn't say I anchor my heal though. It slides on the floor once past the bite point.

Please explain. I've always kept my heal on the floor without issue. I'm curious what the potential issue(s) could be.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine slides too, or in the case of 1st gear, it lifts off from the floor (that’s the only time I do it, I don’t know how I got that habit built). It feels like when sliding it my heel sometimes gets stuck slightly so the clutch may pop an inch or two from where I wanted it.

As for the other issue, it happened again this morning but it must disengage far enough because there’s no issue with shifting. It is near the floor but I don’t think it’s quite at the floor. Like I said it happens sporadically. I know when it happens because I feel it as if the clutch hit some soft substance right before the floor. It’s very odd.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Please explain. I've always kept my heal on the floor without issue. I'm curious what the potential issue(s) could be.
As someone who games as well as drives, the best comparison I can offer is to playing a first person shooter. The PC players with the best and most accurate reflexes have the sensitivity on their mouse turned way down so that they have to use their arm to move any significant distance to aim. The muscle memory you build with your arm is going to be smoother and more consistent than trying to do everything with your wrist (which in this usage anchors on the mousepad).

I think this is a close parallel to using the clutch with your foot anchored to the floor (which would primarily use the muscles in your heel) vs not anchoring, which would use more of your leg. You'll likely get a more consistent and smoother movement using your leg (and it'll often come more easily). That's not to say you can't do it using just your heel, but from playing a lot of games, and switching from using my wrist to using my arm to move the mouse, I can say it was much easier to build smooth and accurate muscle memory by using my arm. To wit, when I learned to drive manual, I used my leg unanchored from the start, and building the muscle memory for using the clutch was very easy, and I'm pretty smooth with it now.

Obviously everyone is different, so your mileage may vary, but that's my personal experience, and it seems to hold with how I understand muscle memory in other aspects of life.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
As someone who games as well as drives, the best comparison I can offer is to playing a first person shooter. The PC players with the best and most accurate reflexes have the sensitivity on their mouse turned way down so that they have to use their arm to move any significant distance to aim. The muscle memory you build with your arm is going to be smoother and more consistent than trying to do everything with your wrist (which in this usage anchors on the mousepad).

I think this is a close parallel to using the clutch with your foot anchored to the floor (which would primarily use the muscles in your heel) vs not anchoring, which would use more of your leg. You'll likely get a more consistent and smoother movement using your leg (and it'll often come more easily). That's not to say you can't do it using just your heel, but from playing a lot of games, and switching from using my wrist to using my arm to move the mouse, I can say it was much easier to build smooth and accurate muscle memory by using my arm. To wit, when I learned to drive manual, I used my leg unanchored from the start, and building the muscle memory for using the clutch was very easy, and I'm pretty smooth with it now.

Obviously everyone is different, so your mileage may vary, but that's my personal experience, and it seems to hold with how I understand muscle memory in other aspects of life.

I'll have to try it out with moving my whole leg and see if it makes a difference for me.
Maybe I've just learned to cope with my poor practice to get a smooth release out of it. At 6'4" I'm not sure if there's even room for my knee.

Side note: Sounds like the best PC gamers must use a very large mouse pad...or maybe none at all

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I’m 6’5” and can lift the whole leg no problem. Now a Miata or Elise on the other hand is a compromise lol

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Side note: Sounds like the best PC gamers must use a very large mouse pad
You would be correct. This is my setup, and if I remember right, this is the smallest version of this model mouse mat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Random clutch question 2017-03-27 07.31.48

Rated-R

First Name
Yohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R, 2014 MB C63 AMG, 2002 IS300
Country flag
If you haven't had problems shifting, I'd say it's probably just in your head.

I have the all-weather mats and it is a little different with some of my shoes. I've always kept my heal on the floor and have no problem getting a smooth release. I wouldn't say I anchor my heal though. It slides on the floor once past the bite point.

So basically you leave your heel and are able to keep your toes on the clutch through its entire travel back out? What you got elastic toes?

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
So basically you leave your heel and are able to keep your toes on the clutch through its entire travel back out? What you got elastic toes?
Took a video of my feet during a short drive and found that I actually slide my heal on the floor for about the last 1/3. All in the ankle up to that point and I guess the pedal slides on the bottom of my shoe. I'd post the video but apparently mp4 isn't supported.

GarbageFk7

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 2018, Civic Type R
Country flag

Really? I always use my heel on floor when using the clutch and shift really smooth like it's an automatic car. And I don't think all pro PC gamers use low sensitivity it's all preference imo. I used medium to high sensitivity when I was playing warcraft3 years ago (and RTS game that required high apm and insane micro management skills). *Insert flex

Best way to describe it is it is like writing a letter. Your arm moves across the paper with the heel of your palm resting on the paper, but the wrist does the detail work. Try writing without your hand resting on the surface. Same thing, the leg does the big work but the heel and toe do the detail work.

Honda Civic 10th gen Random clutch question 38558_147388451940254_3864780_n

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I totally understand what you mean! At times the pedal has pressure & days it feels like is the pedal dead. Honda Clutch Master Cylinders are crappy use to have this problem on my old 8th gen Si.

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Really? I always use my heel on floor when using the clutch and shift really smooth like it's an automatic car. And I don't think all pro PC gamers use low sensitivity it's all preference imo. I used medium to high sensitivity when I was playing warcraft3 years ago (and RTS game that required high apm and insane micro management skills). *Insert flex

Best way to describe it is it is like writing a letter. Your arm moves across the paper with the heel of your palm resting on the paper, but the wrist does the detail work. Try writing without your hand resting on the surface. Same thing, the leg does the big work but the heel and toe do the detail work.

38558_147388451940254_3864780_n.jpg
WC3 is amazing lol played it a few months ago, it’s so fun

I totally understand what you mean! At times the pedal has pressure & days it feels like is the pedal dead. Honda Clutch Master Cylinders are crappy use to have this problem on my old 8th gen Si.
I know, I really am interested in trying the CMC adjustments people have been doing but I don’t trust myself nor do I have any of the tools needed.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
WC3 is amazing lol played it a few months ago, it’s so fun

I know, I really am interested in trying the CMC adjustments people have been doing but I don’t trust myself nor do I have any of the tools needed.
contact this person on IG K20Z3allmotor about his upgraded cmc's
Sponsored