First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
What broke with the transmission? 4th?

I've had plenty of transmission problems in my Si on stock power, so already familiar with glass transmissions lol.

How do you figure $40k in mods, that including the sequential swap?

That would be awesome but that's a ton of money lol
Yes sir.

Engine - 10k
Turbo system - 5k
Fuel System - 5k
Tuning -1.5 - 5k - big range on this as you can opt for Hondata but most likely will run Motec at these levels.
Suspension / Wheels - 10k
Misc - 3 - 5k?

So yeah about 40k in mods if you're going balls out on this car. Easily. That's not including a sequential which would basically make the car undriveable on the street. lol.
Sponsored

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Yes sir.

Engine - 10k
Turbo system - 5k
Fuel System - 5k
Tuning -1.5 - 5k - big range on this as you can opt for Hondata but most likely will run Motec at these levels.
Suspension / Wheels - 10k
Misc - 3 - 5k?

So yeah about 40k in mods if you're going balls out on this car. Easily. That's not including a sequential which would basically make the car undriveable on the street. lol.
and easily add another 10k to the list so 90k all in for 600+ hp........ i think we all know what we can do with 90K

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it seems that Honda (not really a bad thing since they don't take aftermarket modding into account) but they used parts already at their limit like fuel pump @ 85% duty cycle, Clutch already slipping at 400tq (some still use stock but seems to be limited) 3-4 gears that turn to glass when pushing power, rods that bend too low on stock power (i think i saw some post where it was stock but they made boost come on sooner and bent rods from the low rpm torque)

all that means there is zero headroom for the car to be reliable when pushing power past FBOs. which in turn cost money to obtain said headroom.

now the only question is, how far are you willing to go and spend?

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
and easily add another 10k to the list so 90k all in for 600+ hp........ i think we all know what we can do with 90K
Sorry to turn this into a discussion about the platform but... lmao. Yes. 90 freakin thousand dollars.

it seems that Honda (not really a bad thing since they don't take aftermarket modding into account) but they used parts already at their limit like fuel pump @ 85% duty cycle, Clutch already slipping at 400tq (some still use stock but seems to be limited) 3-4 gears that turn to glass when pushing power, rods that bend too low on stock power (i think i saw some post where it was stock but they made boost come on sooner and bent rods from the low rpm torque)

all that means there is zero headroom for the car to be reliable when pushing power past FBOs. which in turn cost money to obtain said headroom.

now the only question is, how far are you willing to go and spend?

That's the thing... You will still hit the limitations I listed even with 60k thrown at it. Because my theory is that a 90k civic isn't going to be 15 seconds faster on laguna than a FBO one.

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to turn this into a discussion about the platform but... lmao. Yes. 90 freakin thousand dollars.

That's the thing... You will still hit the limitations I listed even with 60k thrown at it. Because my theory is that a 90k civic isn't going to be 15 seconds faster on laguna than a FBO one.
Thanks alot for your insight... your experience is very needed for me.
I have methanol kit now and car is safely tuned for 405whp / 380wtq..
Torque curve is flat from 3k - 6.5k ..
Can i ask how did you broke your 4th gear??
What exactly happen?

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks alot for your insight... your experience is very needed for me.
I have methanol kit now and car is safely tuned for 405whp / 380wtq..
Torque curve is flat from 3k - 6.5k ..
Can i ask how did you broke your 4th gear??
What exactly happen?
That's the crazy thing. I was just doing a warm up lap when the tranny decided to take a dump.

No indication at all that it was going to give up. As a matter of fact, I actually drove the car to the track.

OP
OP
123sillyboy123

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's the crazy thing. I was just doing a warm up lap when the tranny decided to take a dump.

No indication at all that it was going to give up. As a matter of fact, I actually drove the car to the track.
Shit..
Now u have me worry...

Have you dyno your car? Hows your toque curve?? I heard some some ppl that you need a flat torque to be safe

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Shit..
Now u have me worry...

Have you dyno your car? Hows your toque curve?? I heard some some ppl that you need a flat torque to be safe

It's smooth. I'm actually very surprised that my tranny blew as I always tell the tuner to go for longevity.

My recommendation from this point on is to build the tranny. Third and fourth gear seems to be a huge weakness.

I've already emailed PPG about coming out with upgrades but it doesn't seem like they're in any rush to develop something.

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
It's smooth. I'm actually very surprised that my tranny blew as I always tell the tuner to go for longevity.

My recommendation from this point on is to build the tranny. Third and fourth gear seems to be a huge weakness.

I've already emailed PPG about coming out with upgrades but it doesn't seem like they're in any rush to develop something.
Get the stock internals cryo’d and micropolished.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i know RV6P is already working on 3rd (already have 4th) and should be coming out with 1+2 after that. but even that should only be rated for 500hp. anymore power than that and you're looking at a Sequential gearbox. for now at least.

also, Quaife Sequential (Helical) with LSD and mirco polishing is 12k not including shipping+duties to the US.....

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This.. Makes a huge difference. Wouldn't hurt to try it out on a track FK8
I'm sure it does but I think if I'm going to do anything, it'll be to wait for PPG to come out with something. Would love to have a set of straight cut gears put into this thing.

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i know RV6P is already working on 3rd (already have 4th) and should be coming out with 1+2 after that. but even that should only be rated for 500hp. anymore power than that and you're looking at a Sequential gearbox. for now at least.

also, Quaife Sequential (Helical) with LSD and mirco polishing is 12k not including shipping+duties to the US.....
Yeah. Honestly, I wish they would just come out with everything at once so i don't need to keep taking the tranny apart. haha.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah. Honestly, I wish they would just come out with everything at once so i don't need to keep taking the tranny apart. haha.
Agreed! Looks like it's a conservative tune for now until more trans options become available.....

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R; 14' AMG C63; 18' Toyota Avalon XLE
Country flag
We haven't taken the car apart yet as my mechanic has been swamped. But based on what we can see / hear, we believe that 4th gear is done. Not sure what fluids are ran but we do maintenance on it almost every 2-3 track days.

I've talked to Luke at 4piston over the phone at length. His build is amazing and I was honestly very close to pulling the trigger on one of his engines. But it got me thinking... how much faster can the car be with 100-200hp? And how much would everything cost me to get it there?

Maybe it's because I'm a businessman but I was really trying to do a cost benefit analysis here...

So... you figure one of his builds would cost you around 20k. But that would net you ... maybe 2 seconds on track...? So you just paid 10k per second. So if you didn't hit the limit of the chassis before, you've just spent 20k to maybe gain 2 seconds on track and then hit the limit of the chassis then. It's not worth it. Spend the money elsewhere.

Added lag on a track is not a welcome thing especially if you're on a more technical track. But once again, that's assuming you're doing HPDE. For the drag strip? Sure. Get the biggest damn turbo you can and launch the damn thing down the straight. For the track though? Nothing beats having that instantaneous and smooth power delivery. It's the reason why if given the option now, I will always choose NA over FI.

I don't think it was plateuing at 6200 before. It was making power from 3k to 7k. It's just that now with the slightly larger turbo, the power kicks in at around 4k and because of how it accelerates harder now, it gets to 7k quicker. So really it's kind of like you have a narrower window to shift.
I was going over it with my friends and I think it's something we can adjust via the tune. It just sucks that I didn't have time to really test things out.
I would classify myself as a bit of a "lurker" on here. I try not to dive too deeply into a response because I can tend to get a bit long winded in my posts, simply because it's required in order to fully explain your perspective without any misunderstandings or miscommunications.

I have to say, from the multiple posts that I've seen you write, you certainly are a valued member in this community. You certainly contribute whenever possible with great first handle knowledge and insight, yet clearly articulate your thought without being overbearing.

I say all of this because THIS particular post speaks to MY THOUGHTS exactly, so that I don't need to write all of that. I will, however, continue on. With a career beginning in quarter midgets, on to karting, and finishing off in a few divisions of open wheel racing, I come into this with a slightly different perspective the many Si or even Type R owners on here.

That said, the turbo "upgrade" that your referring to MAY end up producing more power, and even lead to an overall faster lap time (once you wrangle it). However if the balance is lost and the ability to CONSISTENTLY put your best times down is sacrificed, then all is for not. Quite often you will see cars, especially in the dedicated racing world, that a car with great, consistent pace (and a good driver ;) ) will win out over a car that can simply out qualify on raw, one lap speed. Maybe a bad example, but Max Verstappen with RedBull getting the better of Bottas comes to mind. But I digress.

There's just so many factors in these kind of decisions. YES, in the racing world that figure (10k per second) is a dream CBA actually. Yet where and how YOU will be using it...depending on what regulatory class it could move you to (if your competing) or simply just ruining the feel and making it HARDER/more work to achieve good times (although faster when done) makes the difference. It becomes NOT WORTH it. Still, this is all assuming one is using it for circuit use...many only care about drag racing (why did you get the car) or third gear pulls on up on the street/freeway. Some just like "JDM bling" parts and getting parts under the hood that produce a good dyno figure.

Finally, and anecdotally, I had an RX7 that I put an LS in back in 2007. The car was fast and even, admittedly, fun in the right situation. Yet I really lost the love for the car. I had taken it too far and the car lost it's identity, if you know what I mean. I already had a few FAST, track dedicated cars. This felt different and I lost that.

Anyway...sorry everyone. I told you I can run on.
Sponsored