Radio doesn't default to showing RDS information on LX

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
I just bought a 2016 Civic LS last night. I really love the car so far but I am a little disappointed with the radio. I know the LX is the base model but it kind of seems like they really cheaped out on the radio. The sound is good but the display is very generic.

The radio defaults to just showing the time and frequency. If you want the artist/song name you have to hit Menu, settings, RDS settings, Radio Text. This will display the song information if it is available but as soon as you change the station it goes away, so you have to go into the menu and tell it to display the text every time you change the station. It is pretty easy to change it but it is also very annoying.

If you don't do this the whole screen goes black and just shows the time in the upper right corner. I did see that you can use a USB stick to upload an image to use as the wallpaper, I'm hoping this will make it look a little better. But even still, you have a big 5" screen and all it shows is the time unless you tell it to show the radio text each time. Kind of lame.

Same with using an iPod/iPhone, I was hoping it would be like so many other cars and who the artist/song/image of the CD on the display but it still just shows the time (doesn't matter if you use bluetooth or the usb cable).

I've tried searching to see if I'm just missing something with the settings but so far I haven't found anything specific to the 2016 Civic LX. I've seen that other models and previous years of the Civic had a way that you could change the settings on the radio to have it default to the RDS text all the time, but this doesn't seem to be an option on the LX Civic.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Never mind, I fixed it somehow. i think the issue was I had the display in wallpaper mode instead of audio mode. So now it displays the song/artist even when hanging stations as long as it's and RDS station and the single is strong. It also displays the information when playing an iPod.

Trellaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EX with Honda sensor (nov 16) :)
Hi hi glad you have it sorted out. How do I upload wallpaper to the radio? I didn't see anything about that in the manual. Same with how to update the radio etc.

Thanks

OP
OP

ahitchcox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hi hi glad you have it sorted out. How do I upload wallpaper to the radio? I didn't see anything about that in the manual. Same with how to update the radio etc.

Thanks
You have to upload the image to the radio using a USB flash drive and inserting it into the USB input. After you do that go to settings, wallpaper, Import. You can upload up to 3 images. The pictures can't be any bigger than 2MB and there is a resolution maximum (I can't remember what it is but I did see it referenced in the manual).

I am talking about the LX trim level, I am not sure if you can upload a wallpaper on any of the higher trim models.

worm91100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
My 2016 LX didn't display the RDS and wallpaper screens until I hit the Display button a couple of times. It's the one that changes the daylight/nightlight brightness. I pressed it like 3 times and now it shows me my RDS and wallpaper screens.

euicho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2016 LX didn't display the RDS and wallpaper screens until I hit the Display button a couple of times. It's the one that changes the daylight/nightlight brightness. I pressed it like 3 times and now it shows me my RDS and wallpaper screens.
This is a super old thread but as a new Sport owner, this saved me from being very frustrated! :thumbsup:

ptai

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit, 2016
Country flag
Problem: Audio screen blank except for digital clock. Car Fit LX, year 2016.
I checked the various solutions posted above, everything was set correctly.
The problem was caused by the setting of the hardware button above on the left of the screen (see attached photo):
The small "Day/ Night" (Sun/Moon) toggle button.
Honda Civic 10th gen Radio doesn't default to showing RDS information on LX {filename}

It was set to Night, and the screen display was dimmed out (for night driving!)
When it was pressed to Day, the desired display emerged!
Good luck.

Honda Civic 10th gen Radio doesn't default to showing RDS information on LX Fit_screen_142928

TDImark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX, 2001 Prelude SH
Country flag
Problem: Audio screen blank except for digital clock. Car Fit LX, year 2016.
I checked the various solutions posted above, everything was set correctly.
The problem was caused by the setting of the hardware button above on the left of the screen (see attached photo):
The small "Day/ Night" (Sun/Moon) toggle button.
Honda Civic 10th gen Radio doesn't default to showing RDS information on LX Fit_screen_142928

It was set to Night, and the screen display was dimmed out (for night driving!)
When it was pressed to Day, the desired display emerged!
Good luck.

Honda Civic 10th gen Radio doesn't default to showing RDS information on LX {filename}
Old thread, but NEW to me. Thanks a million for the info. I could not figure it out on my "new" 2017 LX .... until I found your post.
Sponsored