FK7NorCali

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
Just purchased a 1.3 bar Mishimoto radiator cap for my 2018 civic sport. I'm going to be adding more power to the system so I wanted to upgrade supporting parts. Any reason not to run this? Going from the stock 1.1 cap to 1.3
Sponsored

blinkz0rz

First Name
Jrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1 Civic Si, 1997 Dodge Dakota, 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner 440, 2010 JKU Jeep Wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unless you are racing the car for long periods at a time, higher pressure rad caps are purely cosmetic. Im talking like track and SCCA events, not street pulls or 1/4miles.

Remember that a higher pressure increases the boiling point of the system, to allow the engine run hotter. This would be good if you switched the coolant to an almost pure water system, like 25% coolant 75% water. This would help keep the engine cooler while running at higher temps. Water is a great engine coolant compared to straight antifreeze. 50/50 is ideal to allow freezing temps and have the system sustain operation and also to limit rust with the antifreeze's chemistry.

But do remember this is not good for a long term solution and could damage the engine. Hence why I started that they are primarily changed for cosmetics.

Last edited: