TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Has anyone ever had to replace their radar sensor? Mine got destroyed and I found one in a junk yard but idk if it will work.. the dealership wants to charge me 5k to fix my radar sensor which I think is ridiculous. I'm just curious if anyone has gotten another radar sensor from some other car or online and calibrated it.
Sponsored

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes.

You'll likely need the braket. Easy R&R.
After installing the new braket and radar, take it to a different dealership and state the radar isn't working. Pay the diag fee, they'll either come back and say 1) you need a new radar, to which you'll ask to see the results of their voltage test of the radar verifying the radar isn't operating - which they likely will not have - so they'll voltage test it, and if everything checks out they say 2) it needs to be calibrated. And your diag fee will go towards the calibration. Plus, you'll get their repar warranty.

Before you pull the front bumper cover off and replace the radar, call a dealership and give them your VIN so they can tell you the part numbers of the radar that will fit. I have a '16 and Honda made a "better" radar than the OE. I bought one from a salvage Civic but it was completely the wrong part - they changed connectors at some point. Thankfully the guy allowed me to return it. Bought the correct radar off ebay, paid Honda for the braket and calibration.

OP
OP
TyresseX

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes.

You'll likely need the braket. Easy R&R.
After installing the new braket and radar, take it to a different dealership and state the radar isn't working. Pay the diag fee, they'll either come back and say 1) you need a new radar, to which you'll ask to see the results of their voltage test of the radar verifying the radar isn't operating - which they likely will not have - so they'll voltage test it, and if everything checks out they say 2) it needs to be calibrated. And your diag fee will go towards the calibration. Plus, you'll get their repar warranty.

Before you pull the front bumper cover off and replace the radar, call a dealership and give them your VIN so they can tell you the part numbers of the radar that will fit. I have a '16 and Honda made a "better" radar than the OE. I bought one from a salvage Civic but it was completely the wrong part - they changed connectors at some point. Thankfully the guy allowed me to return it. Bought the correct radar off ebay, paid Honda for the braket and calibration.
so whats the point of the voltage test to verify if the radar sensor matches with my car? and wow all i need is the part number from the dealership and order one from ebay?

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so whats the point of the voltage test to verify if the radar sensor matches with my car? and wow all i need is the part number from the dealership and order one from ebay?
I don't even think you need to ask the dealer. I checked HondaPartsNow.

The radar in 2017 is 36803-TGG-A14
In 2020 it was 36803-TGG-A41 which was then superseded by 36803-TGG-A42

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Voltage test confirms the radar is 1) receiving voltage, 2) sending correct voltage. I'd even make sure they hook up an oscilloscope.

Pictures for reference of what pscilloscopes read.

Honda Civic 10th gen Radar sensor 52f29ce3ce395f8c1b8b4569

Honda Civic 10th gen Radar sensor 52f3d7a8ce395f13338b4567

Honda Civic 10th gen Radar sensor 52f3d691ce395fc6198b4567

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Find the radar wherever you can... ebay, Craigslist, offerup, car-parts.com, Facebook marketplace...

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
No problem.

Keep me updated, and let me know if the dealer gives you any sh--

I'm happy to help any way I can.

shioou24

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic si
Country flag
No problem.

Keep me updated, and let me know if the dealer gives you any sh--

I'm happy to help any way I can.
So if i change the bracket and use the old radar will i still have to calibrate the radar? Thanks!

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
is there a way to disable them? like unplug the fuse
There's probably a fuse or relay you can pull - check your owner's manual.

Or you can push the button to the left of your steering wheel.

OP
OP
TyresseX

TyresseX

First Name
Tyresse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's probably a fuse or relay you can pull - check your owner's manual.

Or you can push the button to the left of your steering wheel.
its okay if it says the part wont fit my car? i called them for the part number its 36803-TGG-A14. the site i was gonna use is hondaprtsnow
Sponsored