Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get ready folks....it's coming.

Racebred Components FK8 quick release splitter brackets.

Sponsored

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've been following this really closely- really excited for this! I noticed they have an option for the Mugen lip too- but I'm wondering about the real effectiveness of the splitter on the OEM lip vs the Mugen. Would love to see some comparison in downforce with OEM lip and splitter vs Mugen lip and splitter.

OP
OP
b2point0h

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been following this really closely- really excited for this! I noticed they have an option for the Mugen lip too- but I'm wondering about the real effectiveness of the splitter on the OEM lip vs the Mugen. Would love to see some comparison in downforce with OEM lip and splitter vs Mugen lip and splitter.
I don't think the Mugen lip does much in terms of aero. This splitter will provide much more value.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I don't think the Mugen lip does much in terms of aero. This splitter will provide much more value.
I think you're right- I'm just wondering if it actually creates effectiveness by adding the splitter to it- if that makes sense. Would add a ridgid backing and force air over the lip and into the bumper area, I would think. The Mugen lip also sits slightly lower. Just purely thought, wondering how it translates in the real world.

Jotun

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2020 BMW M2c , 2020 LR Defender 110
Country flag
I think you're right- I'm just wondering if it actually creates effectiveness by adding the splitter to it- if that makes sense. Would add a ridgid backing and force air over the lip and into the bumper area, I would think. The Mugen lip also sits slightly lower. Just purely thought, wondering how it translates in the real world.

The rule of thumb is that nothing is really going to make a difference inside of 4 inches of extension from the bumper for front aero. The difference in downforce between OEM w/splitter and Mugen w/splitter would be nominal. That Mugen lip is purely cosmetic.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The rule of thumb is that nothing is really going to make a difference inside of 4 inches of extension from the bumper for front aero. The difference in downforce between OEM w/splitter and Mugen w/splitter would be nominal. That Mugen lip is purely cosmetic.
If that's the case, then that effectively negates any reason to apply any commercially available aftermarket splitter to the car. I don't know of any shippable splitter, not including custom pickup orders for 4+inches here, that is available for fitment. The most you can get from Racebred on a shippable format is a +3" off the OEM lip.

OP
OP
b2point0h

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Racebred offers up to a 5" blade.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Racebred offers up to a 5" blade.
Right, but unless you live in CA, you cannot get those sizes. Max shippable is +3"

Anyway, my original musing really just centered around whether you could make the Mugen lip actually do something useful.

Assuming Jotun is correct with the lip dimensions, you could guess that the 3" shippable model extends out beyond the OEM lip and far enough from the bumper itself to create impact.

Last edited:

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right, but unless you live in CA, you cannot get those sizes. Max shippable is +3"

Anyway, my original musing really just centered around whether you could make the Mugen lip actually do something useful.

Assuming Jotun is correct with the lip dimensions, you could guess that the 3" shippable model extends out beyond the OEM lip and far enough from the bumper itself to create impact.
so much misinformation here.

A 3” blade will provided downforce regardless. 4” rule of thumb? @Jotun Please share your info on this. Of course the longer the blade the more downforce, to say anything less isn’t going to make a difference would be wrong. All of my splitters I’ve used on my CTR since 2017 have done great at the track. All of them were 3”, except the BMspec being a little longer.

Racebred has always offered custom lengths shipped anywhere in the US, but it may be that right now with the current state of things, they are not shipping out bigger blades. I would ask them directly why this is the case.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
so much misinformation here.

A 3” blade will provided downforce regardless. 4” rule of thumb? @Jotun Please share your info on this. Of course the longer the blade the more downforce, to say anything less isn’t going to make a difference would be wrong. All of my splitters I’ve used on my CTR since 2017 have done great at the track. All of them were 3”, except the BMspec being a little longer.

Racebred has always offered custom lengths shipped anywhere in the US, but it may be that right now with the current state of things, they are not shipping out bigger blades. I would ask them directly why this is the case.
No misinformation on my commentary regarding the shipping size. That's straight from the source. Was stated that it exceeds limitations. Could be a recent change or current shipping restrictions.

As for Jotun's comment, it's all conjecture to me. I've truthfully never seen anyone argue for a smaller splitter size- just trying to explore the usefulness, I guess. I think this might be useful for others that are looking to drop their hard-earned money on products that claim to benefit performance.

jonnys_honda

First Name
Jonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #1288
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No misinformation on my commentary regarding the shipping size. That's straight from the source. Was stated that it exceeds limitations. Could be a recent change or current shipping restrictions.

As for Jotun's comment, it's all conjecture to me. I've truthfully never seen anyone argue for a smaller splitter size- just trying to explore the usefulness, I guess. I think this might be useful for others that are looking to drop their hard-earned money on products that claim to benefit performance.
Understood.

Aero will work based on how YOU need it to as a driver.There’s a balance to it. No set method as to the fastest option. Take a look at the Art of Attack CTR build for some useful tried and true performance from a great team and track driver. Same goes for USR with a great build.

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Understood.

Aero will work based on how YOU need it to as a driver.There’s a balance to it. No set method as to the fastest option. Take a look at the Art of Attack CTR build for some useful tried and true performance from a great team and track driver. Same goes for USR with a great build.
I've been loosely following the Art Of Attack build. Pretty great work, and sexy parts list. Happy to see them set the FF record. Was great to watch the teams compete on the YouTube broadcast.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Hi there can you please share your CFD analysis of this 4" claim?

OP
OP
b2point0h

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brackets have officially been announced with sale starting Monday. I'll have a coupon code to share with you!

Sponsored