Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Is this normal???? I kindly told the service advisor I wasn't going to pay that. It didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $400 ish for: new windshield wipers (which I don't need) a new air filter (I have a CAI) new cabin air filter, an AC recharge (my AC is fine and it's september in Massachusetts) and some oil additive that I'm sure is 5 dollars at auto zone.

Does anyone actually pay this? Does not getting these ridiculous recommended services affect future warranty claims?

I ended up paying 80 for tire rotation and oil change.

This is Ocean Honda in Brockton, Mass for anyone wondering.
Brockton? Why am I not surprised?! If they took the state's temperature rectally ~ they would stick the thermometer in Brockton!

Why did they say they wanted to do an ac recharge? if your ac isn't working properly, you probably need your condenser or compressor (or both) replaced. Recharging it would last about 6 months of use at best, then would need to be redone. Your car is under warranty and there is a TSB about the condenser, and possibly the compressor although I haven't seen one (yet).

Find a new dealer! I use Bernardi in Natick and they have been great, with three service bulletins and repairing minor damage they incurred after they pulled the front end off to replace the condenser.

P.S. I bought a K&N cabin filter on Amazon and replaced it (didn't really look like it need to be replaced) in about 5 minutes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
$500? LOL, I totally believe it, since it was a stealership quote after all.

I had a 2005 Acura TL 6mt that needed a new CV half axle in 2018. Decided to get both sides at the same time and a local Acura dealer quoted me $2500 for parts and labor... I found an indy shop down the street that did the job for $500, both sides, parts and labor.

Your best bet would be to find an independent shop for things like that. A/C recharge can be done at many different places. Also, never pay anyone to change air filters and wipers.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Yes I found it, I think its easier to have a flap in the engine compartment. Usually you change your engine oil/filter, air filter and cabin filter in one go. Having it in the glove box area makes an extra walk around the car and I have to crouch in/on the seat vs reach over the fender.

I stand by my statement that it is a silly location, and I fear my bruteish hands will break some plastic removing the glove box. Silly.
The location of the AC filter is usually related to the location of the evaporator coil.

The silliness of the AC filter location behind the glove box is dwarfed by the silliness of the evaporator coil being buried in the dashboard. Cars used to have evaporator coils located in the engine compartment on the other side of the firewall. As Scotty said in one of his videos, as a consequence of this, if I remember correctly, the replacement of the evaporator from a one-hour job became a 10-hour job.

If these evaporators were built to last forever, this would be OK. But apparently, in these civics they may not.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
The location of the AC filter is usually related to the location of the evaporator coil.

The silliness of the AC filter location behind the glove box is dwarfed by the silliness of the evaporator coil being buried in the dashboard. Cars used to have evaporator coils located in the engine compartment on the other side of the firewall. As Scotty said in one of his videos, as a consequence of this, if I remember correctly, the replacement of the evaporator from a one-hour job became a 10-hour job.

If these evaporators were built to last forever, this would be OK. But apparently, in these civics they may not.
We're talking about cabin air filters.

Whatever you're smoking send it my way.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
General maintenance like fluid changes and bulb replacements don't require mechanical inclination. Not being "mechanically inclined" is cop out. My 4 year old knows how to do an oil change he just can't crack the drain plug or filter loose.
Why are you arguing with me? All i said was some people aren't capable and won't do it. Its not up for debate its a fact.

On top of that, can your 4 year old find your cabin filter? Because its there. I guess every kid passes their fathers skill level at some point. I just figured for most it wouldn't be as young as 4.

Last edited:

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Total BS, cabin air filter at 15k?!! That's a joke... Maybe, and only maybe at 115k!
Believe it or not my cabin filter was disgusting at 15k, $35 and 5 min later it was replaced and better than new.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
At 15K my cabin filter was packed with dirt and crud

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why are you arguing with me? All i said was some people aren't capable and won't do it. Its not up for debate its a fact.

On top of that, can your 4 year old find your cabin filter? Because its there. I guess every kid passes their fathers skill level at some point. I just figured for most it wouldn't be as young as 4.

I taught my son how to change the oil and filter in my Civic Si. He’s 3. I’d gladly trust that he knew exactly what he’s doing at this point and I’ll be forgoing all further maintenance at the dealership. ;)

Jokes aside, Guys just running his mouth. The attention span of kids that age, they can barely keep their toys organized at that age, let alone do an oil change... I’ll gladly show my son around my car and how some things work but keeping him close to a hot engine bay where moving parts are is a huge no no for me. I save all that maintenance stuff for when he’s with his mom. My son knows not to touch a hot stove and just yesterday he touched it first and then asked me if it was hot. Luckily it wasn’t hot, but it shows you that kids aren’t perfect little creatures like that guy thinks his is. Just because you don’t want to do your own maintenance, doesn’t mean you’re inferior lol...

I’ll gladly change out parts on my car but I can’t change my oil in my apartment complex parking lot. Not happening. And I only pay about $60-$70 every 6 months so honestly it’s a small price to pay.

Back on topic though, my cabin filter was filthy at 17,000 km. I ordered a new one off amazon. My area has a lot of allergens and dust though, especially out in the country.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
I taught my son how to change the oil and filter in my Civic Si. He’s 3. I’d gladly trust that he knew exactly what he’s doing at this point and I’ll be forgoing all further maintenance at the dealership. ;)
Considering he was relying on a tablet at Canadian Tire to inform him of which filters he needs. I am going to lean towards he doesn't actually know how to do any maintenance himself anyways.

This entire thread was derailed by his lack of knowledge and ignorance towards others actual informed opinions.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Total BS, cabin air filter at 15k?!! That's a joke... Maybe, and only maybe at 115k!
I had a garage try to sell me on a cabin air filter replacement.
In a convertible.
Desk boy was incredulous that I didn’t have one in the car.
Seriously, WTF.
The roof is only ever up when it gets washed or if I get caught in rain while out wasting fuel, er, cruising around.
I can’t imagine how people survived up until the early ’90s without them.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I had a garage try to sell me on a cabin air filter replacement.
In a convertible.
Desk boy was incredulous that I didn’t have one in the car.
Seriously, WTF.
The roof is only ever up when it gets washed or if I get caught in rain while out wasting fuel, er, cruising around.
I can’t imagine how people survived up until the early ’90s without them.
Convertible or not, it's to filter the air blowing in through the vents. I'd have one in it if it has provisions for it.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Convertible or not, it's to filter the air blowing in through the vents. I'd have one in it if it has provisions for it.
What air blowing through the vents?
#top_down
?
Sponsored