Quoted $500 plus for 15k mile service on 2019 Si

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
I my area, dealer shops are "big " business, not small.
Thanks and smile to a stealer ?
Sponsored

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Total BS, cabin air filter at 15k?!! That's a joke... Maybe, and only maybe at 115k!
Gotta strongly disagree with you there having changed mine on previous cars several times. The only BS is what the dealer is charging.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Did somebody actually try and say dealerships are small business? Majority of them are owned by conglomerate companies like pfaff.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I was previously a motor technician in various dealers and one of the memories that sticks with me is a manager coming in and saying "ok guys, we need to push filters today"... as if I was some sort of sales assistant.

So you were getting told you needed to buy a filter (pollen, air, fuel etc. Low cost, high markup items) whether you needed it or not.

Just buy wipers online and install them yourself. The air, pollen filters are easily accessible too so you don't have to pay such excessive rates for them.

Hats_N_Hoodies

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Hatch
Country flag
Everyone who values their car should make friends with a mechanic.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
It is entertaining just a bit unethical I'd say. Its more about the lying and not so much about the selling me something. I only go once a year for state safety inspection because I'm a mechanic by trade and do everything per maintenance schedule in the manual just sad i know more then service rep. But yeah the only thing people try to sell me is on loans that are scams. Lol so not quite a sales pitch. More like robbing people blind.
Unethical compared to what?
In the US 100% of children and teenagers parents are told by the dentists their children need their teeth fixed with braces, or else they will be neglectful parents and the kids will have severe health problems, and upwards of 80% actually buy it....

True story: I was referred for a knee replacement surgery :rofl: 10 years ago by a medical doctor (MD) who actually specialized in sports injuries, because I had a pain related to an injury....of course I totally ignored him. Never had any knee problems before or after.....
But people say car service salesmen are unethical because they push a cabin filter replacement for $80. :p An entirely different caliber of unethical.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
I was introduced by my friend to his trusted mechanic for many years. He used to work in a Dodge dealership before. He told me that whenever they don’t find anything wrong with the vehicle, the service manager will tell them “make up a story saying that this or this needs to be replaced immediately”. If you don’t follow the manager, the dealership will have less income. It works for people who don’t have any idea with cars but not with knowledgeable people he said.

16LXMT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6MT
Country flag
Unethical compared to what?
In the US 100% of children and teenagers parents are told by the dentists their children need their teeth fixed with braces, or else they will be neglectful parents and the kids will have severe health problems, and upwards of 80% actually buy it....

True story: I was referred for a knee replacement surgery :rofl: 10 years ago by a medical doctor (MD) who actually specialized in sports injuries, because I had a pain related to an injury....of course I totally ignored him. Never had any knee problems before or after.....
But people say car service salesmen are unethical because they push a cabin filter replacement for $80. :p An entirely different caliber of unethical.
Are you suggesting that because there are crooks in all industries it makes it ok? We're talking about car dealerships here, not dentistry and kinesiology.

I'm strongly suspicious you pay excessively for oil lube and filters routinely and are upset others are saying its a scam.

Stupefyer

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"If you don't replace your windshield wipers, your engine is going to blow and we won't cover the repairs."
Real talk though - A Honda dealership really tried to convince my mom that her Honda Pilot needed a new engine even though all she took it in for was a simple oil change. The engine is completely fine. This is why I refuse to let my wife, mother, or sister take their cars to the dealership for maintenance. My dad and I told them to consult us first before they do anything.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I'm strongly suspicious you pay excessively for oil lube and filters routinely and are upset others are saying its a scam.
I agree, I know from your posts you are strongly suspicious. You don't need to prove it any further.:yes:

If you are curious how much I pay for servicing my cars, just ask, it's not a secret. You can have my answer now:

At over 15 kmiles on the civic over 2.5+ years I had only one thing done by others - the AC compressor replacement on warranty. I had since new done two full oil/filter changes, a tire rotation and both air cleaners replaced by myself in my own garage. I also wash my car and check/top up my tires by myself.

If I was getting angry and kept accusing of scam everyone who tries to sell me something for too much, I would have stomach ulcers by now. And I would have shoot dead by now the lawn care guys who keep showing up on my lawn with clipboards telling me I need to get some treatments. Or the other guy pushing cable TV. Or the telephone company that wants me to throw away my great phone and buy a new one that I don't need for $1000+, without even asking if I have enough money for my daily bread....:cry:
And don't even get me started on the residential HVAC business. They charge for just showing up, refuse to fix my AC, only want to sell a new system, and charge for the refrigerant literally 5 times the retail price for which I easily buy it.....

Deleted member 26142

Don't know if you guys know this but in the OEM wiper blade you can replace just the insert instead of having to replace the whole thing, and man that place is charging crazy money, I guess the Honda I work at has decent pricing compared to there

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Dealers make most of their profits at parts/service department.

Cabin filters are dirt cheap at rockauto and wiper refills are an easy diy(even you even need to change them).

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
At over 15 kmiles on the civic over 2.5+ years I had only one thing done by others - the AC compressor replacement on warranty.
What was your symptoms that your compressor was bad?
I noticed the other day the the a/c on the drivers side took at very long time to get cold. And never seemed to get as cold as I am accustomed to. The passenger side vents were blowing noticeably colder.

I read the compressor is warranted for 10 years now, in Canada at least..
Sponsored