toast

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is this normal???? I kindly told the service advisor I wasn't going to pay that. It didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $400 ish for: new windshield wipers (which I don't need) a new air filter (I have a CAI) new cabin air filter, an AC recharge (my AC is fine and it's september in Massachusetts) and some oil additive that I'm sure is 5 dollars at auto zone.

Does anyone actually pay this? Does not getting these ridiculous recommended services affect future warranty claims?

I ended up paying 80 for tire rotation and oil change.

This is Ocean Honda in Brockton, Mass for anyone wondering.
Sponsored

_1slowsi_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Si
Country flag
Is this normal???? I kindly told the service advisor I wasn't going to pay that. It didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $400 ish for: new windshield wipers (which I don't need) a new air filter (I have a CAI) new cabin air filter, an AC recharge (my AC is fine and it's september in Massachusetts) and some oil additive that I'm sure is 5 dollars at auto zone.

Does anyone actually pay this? Does not getting these ridiculous recommended services affect future warranty claims?

I ended up paying 80 for tire rotation and oil change.

This is Ocean Honda in Brockton, Mass for anyone wondering.
sounds like the advisor was trying to make commission ? $400 for windshield wipers.at auto zone for the pair can run you around $65 bucks for the set.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Wipers and air filters are so simple to change even I could do them myself (and I did). I just paid $50 for an oil change at my one-year time point. Probably would have had the tires rotated too, but I upgraded those only a couple months ago.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Wipers, filters are cheap on Amazon. It’s 5 mins job. Never let dealer change those for you. Herb Honda tried to charge me 80$ for air filter and 85$ for cabin filter. On Amazon, you can get both filters for $20. At that mileage, it’s really oil change and tire rotation.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Ignorant people may pay it. Personally, I've never gotten a reasonable quote from any stealership for any work, so I avoid them entirely.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Dealerships are disgusting. Imagine being a low income person who doesn't know much about cars and being scared into paying for that nonsense.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
All dealers seem to do this. I've been to 3 different ones and they all have done something dumb I ran out of dealers to visit. Last visit tried to get me to do maintenance that was due 10k miles ago that I do myself trans change oil change filters. Said my alignment was out but they had my steering wheel turned. Bunch of incompetent idiots. Glad I'm one that knows alot more then they do.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Are car dealers the only businesses asking you guys to buy something expensive you may not need and/or don't want? Why should it be so outrageous and stressful? Just say no, thanks, and smile. A dealer service shop is just a small business like any other, trying to sell their stuff, not your mom or your minister, not even obliged to represent the Honda company except in the specific areas as described in their contract.

Unfortunately, in this so cruel world, lack of knowledge will always eventually be costly, not only at a car dealer. While in a waiting lounge, I like to eavesdrop on the service advisors coming in, kneeling on the floor and explaning in low voice into the ears of ladies and gentlemen, watching TV or reading, what their Accord or Odyssey needs done. It's fun.

For me, the XX,000 mile services are not even a thing. They may be a condition for keeping the warranty in other countries, and I have the impression they might be more strongly pushed by the dealers in the Eastern US. I also generally kindly decline purchasing hair care products at a hair saloon.:)

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Are car dealers the only businesses asking you guys to buy something expensive you may not need and/or don't want? Why should it be so outrageous and stressful? Just say no, thanks, and smile. A dealer service shop is just a small business like any other, trying to sell their stuff, not your mom or your minister, not even obliged to represent the Honda company except in the specific areas as described in their contract.

Unfortunately, in this so cruel world, lack of knowledge will always eventually be costly, not only at a car dealer. While in a waiting lounge, I like to eavesdrop on the service advisors coming in, kneeling on the floor and explaning in low voice into the ears of ladies and gentlemen, watching TV or reading, what their Accord or Odyssey needs done. It's fun.

For me, the XX,000 mile services are not even a thing. They may be a condition for keeping the warranty in other countries, and I have the impression they might be more strongly pushed by the dealers in the Eastern US. I also generally kindly decline purchasing hair care products at a hair saloon.:)
It is entertaining just a bit unethical I'd say. Its more about the lying and not so much about the selling me something. I only go once a year for state safety inspection because I'm a mechanic by trade and do everything per maintenance schedule in the manual just sad i know more then service rep. But yeah the only thing people try to sell me is on loans that are scams. Lol so not quite a sales pitch. More like robbing people blind.

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Total BS, cabin air filter at 15k?!! That's a joke... Maybe, and only maybe at 115k!
Sponsored