Quoted $500 plus for 15k mile service on 2019 Si

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
Wipers, filters are cheap on Amazon. It’s 5 mins job. Never let dealer change those for you. Herb Honda tried to charge me 80$ for air filter and 85$ for cabin filter. On Amazon, you can get both filters for $20. At that mileage, it’s really oil change and tire rotation.
This. I think I may make a post as to how to change your cabin air and engine air filters. $165 to change them is ridiculous. I think too many people don't understand how easy it is to change these and dealers are essentially charging labor of $155 for what is essentially 5 mins work with no tools needed.
Sponsored

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Is this normal???? I kindly told the service advisor I wasn't going to pay that. It didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $400 ish for: new windshield wipers (which I don't need) a new air filter (I have a CAI) new cabin air filter, an AC recharge (my AC is fine and it's september in Massachusetts) and some oil additive that I'm sure is 5 dollars at auto zone.

Does anyone actually pay this? Does not getting these ridiculous recommended services affect future warranty claims?

I ended up paying 80 for tire rotation and oil change.

This is Ocean Honda in Brockton, Mass for anyone wondering.

It is called Stealership for a reason.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
What was your symptoms that your compressor was bad?
I noticed the other day the the a/c on the drivers side took at very long time to get cold. And never seemed to get as cold as I am accustomed to. The passenger side vents were blowing noticeably colder.

I read the compressor is warranted for 10 years now, in Canada at least..
The two left side vents were getting not as cold as they should be. This really means just low refrigerant. They confirmed the compressor was leaking on the shaft seals.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I worked selling Nissans for three months one summer. One day a young couple(in their 20's) who were about to get married came in and looked at a new Maxima. The car was over 30K not including the finance charges and all the other B.S. The payments would have lasted 7 years. They were considering buying it. After getting to know them a little I tactfully suggested that they were going to be needing or wanting a lot of things much more important than a new car. Like a house. Or a baby. or.........
They talked about it with each other and then decided not to buy the car. The next day the guy's father came in and thanked me. He said he never saw anything like that before, a car salesman talking someone out of buying a car.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Gruber is correct. There are scams and crooks in all walks of life. Stealerships are no different and they are truing to make a buck like all of us. That's part of the human condition. Survival of the fittest applies in this case, too. Most of us in the forum have educated ourselves in how to do many things, including replacing filters and wiper blades. Maybe we should offer to help others do theirs, or teach a man\woman to fish.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I worked selling Nissans for three months one summer. One day a young couple(in their 20's) who were about to get married came in and looked at a new Maxima. The car was over 30K not including the finance charges and all the other B.S. The payments would have lasted 7 years. They were considering buying it. After getting to know them a little I tactfully suggested that they were going to be needing or wanting a lot of things much more important than a new car. Like a house. Or a baby. or.........
They talked about it with each other and then decided not to buy the car. The next day the guy's father came in and thanked me. He said he never saw anything like that before, a car salesman talking someone out of buying a car.
Well that explains why you only lasted 3 months :p

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Well that explains why you only lasted 3 months :p
the reason why I only lasted 3 months is because they're all a**holes in a dealership. I couldn't stand it.

kev.fc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Is this normal???? I kindly told the service advisor I wasn't going to pay that. It didn't seem worth it to pay an extra $400 ish for: new windshield wipers (which I don't need) a new air filter (I have a CAI) new cabin air filter, an AC recharge (my AC is fine and it's september in Massachusetts) and some oil additive that I'm sure is 5 dollars at auto zone.

Does anyone actually pay this? Does not getting these ridiculous recommended services affect future warranty claims?

Thanks for the heads up, I’m in south shore also, about to stay away from that place.

Jay_Tech

First Name
Jarrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What would make the cost 400 is the A/C. The new refrigerant R1234yf is very pricy. However no 2019 or any vehicle for that matter should need a "recharge". The system is sealed, so unless there is a leak, which would be covered under warranty in your case, there should be absolutely no reason to touch the system. The rest costs next to nothing. An oil additive usually runs 20 bucks at the most, cabin filter is about 20-30 bucks and wipers at most are 60 bucks for a set.

Hlee

First Name
Harry Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag

Do yourself a favorite and learn to DIY and you'll save tons if money. Dealerships are know to be the biggest rip off. I never bring my car the the dealership unless it is for a warranty issue or something I cannot repair myself. Ok, you don't want to be a grease money. Well, if you are on this forum then you will learn how to become one.

Sean McLaughlin

2018 Civic Si
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag

My dealer, Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken, PA, near Philly, told me I needed a 30000 mile alignment for my 2018 Si. Ridiculous

cydwel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Another reason to go to your small town mechanic.
I always avoided the dealer with all my cars. What you say is not the exception
Exactly. Took my 2020 Si to the small town person for rotation and alignment after I did my own oil change. They treated the car and me with respect.

cydwel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Do yourself a favorite and learn to DIY and you'll save tons if money. Dealerships are know to be the biggest rip off. I never bring my car the the dealership unless it is for a warranty issue or something I cannot repair myself. Ok, you don't want to be a grease money. Well, if you are on this forum then you will learn how to become one.
Hear hear! Great advice.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
15k miles for me is barely broken in. Like one of the previous members said, you should be able to go six figures mileage-wise before you really need to start worrying about anything major. If you don't abuse the car and keep up with the simple routine maintenance like oil changes, air filters, brake pads, wiper blades, tire rotations, etc., you should be good. Of every car I've ever owned, I only had one that gave me significant problems and even left me stranded more than once. Coincidently it also has been the only car I have ever owned that had over 100k miles. All the rest of my cars have been relatively problem-free. Both my Civic (7k miles) and Fiesta (26k miles) have had 0 issues to speak of. Funny though, my Corvette (16k miles) has an issue with the exhaust. In 5th gear around 1400 rpms, the butterfly valves close inside the exhaust and it changes into what they call Stealth mode as a convenience feature to the driver to help reduce the drone in the cabin when cruising at low rpms. Unfortunately, not all the time but sometimes, those valves will get stuck when they attempt to close and the exhaust starts making this loud obnoxious clicking sound until you get back up above 1400 rpms. Has absolutely no effect with the way it drives and only takes a tiny bit of acceleration to make it stop but its still annoying. I still haven't mustered up the courage to take it to the dealership and let them fix it under warranty. You see, I have a thing about other people touching my cars - I'm sure some of you can relate. So I've kind of just learned to live with it. It could also be used an excuse to replace it with an aftermarket exhaust ?

So yeah, 15k miles ain't nothing. Do the simple stuff yourself and drive the heck out of it!

kevoco333

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
I couldn't agree more with the statement to learn to DIY. Dealerships are in business to make money. Look around a dealership and see all the employees that are not on commission. Their salaries have to be paid and all the other costs of running dealership are expensive. Most service on a car is very simple but some people just refuse to learn how to DIY.

It's not just with cars. I own some rental properties and do just about everything myself. A recent example is a dryer that would run but not heat. It needed a part that cost about $5 and it took me about 20 minutes to complete. An honest appliance repair person would have charged around $150-$175. You would see a bill for $400 from a dishonest repair person. Would I fault the honest repair person's bill? No, he's in business to make money and it costs a lot of money to be in business. Just simply watching how to videos on youtube could save people a lot of money.
Sponsored