Quite bumpy Ride ?

we4tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Hi,

We bought our Civic EX-T around a month ago, by now we are almost hitting around 1000 miles. This is really a fun and enjoyable ride, especially the agility and responsiveness and at the same time fuel efficiency.

However, the only thing that started bothering me a lot, as it seems quite bumpy unless driving on flat road. Especially in NYC, there are very few roads without potholes, I would really appreciate if you guys have any feedback or suggestion to drive this with passion and without taking loads on the bump.

Best wishes
Sponsored

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
It's a beautiful car, but it's still a Civic, or even a Honda, as the Accord has a similar ride. It's supposed to feel small and 'fun', and a byproduct of that is it tends to be a bit bouncier than some other makes, especially the bigger cars. One thing you could do is change your tire size to get a higher sidewall, along with buying a softer-riding 'touring' tire that soaks up bumps better.

OP
OP
we4tech

we4tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
It's a beautiful car, but it's still a Civic, or even a Honda, as the Accord has a similar ride. It's supposed to feel small and 'fun', and a byproduct of that is it tends to be a bit bouncier than some other makes, especially the bigger cars. One thing you could do is change your tire size to get a higher sidewall, along with buying a softer-riding 'touring' tire that soaks up bumps better.
Thanks Troy :) this is really helpful.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
Hi,

We bought our Civic EX-T around a month ago, by now we are almost hitting around 1000 miles. This is really a fun and enjoyable ride, especially the agility and responsiveness and at the same time fuel efficiency.

However, the only thing that started bothering me a lot, as it seems quite bumpy unless driving on flat road. Especially in NYC, there are very few roads without potholes, I would really appreciate if you guys have any feedback or suggestion to drive this with passion and without taking loads on the bump.

Best wishes
Perhaps you may wish to check your tire pressure. I believe your EX-T comes with 17" wheels which naturally adds to the firmness. I'm not sure what the spec inflation is for the 17" wheels but you will find that on the driver side door frame. My dealer put in 35 psi in my EX when the factory spec is 32 psi which adds to the firmness of the ride.

OP
OP
we4tech

we4tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T
Perhaps you may wish to check your tire pressure. I believe your EX-T comes with 17" wheels which naturally adds to the firmness. I'm not sure what the spec inflation is for the 17" wheels but you will find that on the driver side door frame. My dealer put in 35 psi in my EX when the factory spec is 32 psi which adds to the firmness of the ride.
Ah thanks. that is definitely a good point, I have a tire pressure measurement gauge, I think, I can use it this time :)

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Coupe is a little"bumpy", but no more so than half the cars I've owned. The Sedan suspension is a little softer than mine I'll bet, but I'm fine.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Perhaps you may wish to check your tire pressure.
Ours was delivered at 37-38. Getting them down to 33 or so made a great difference in ride quality and, somewhat surprisingly, steering feel.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My Coupe is a little"bumpy", but no more so than half the cars I've owned. The Sedan suspension is a little softer than mine I'll bet, but I'm fine.
Probably the same. The Accord was near identical. It's the bouncy Honda charm that the younger kids like. I can live with it, but much prefer a more sedate ride these days.

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
Ours was delivered at 37-38. Getting them down to 33 or so made a great difference in ride quality and, somewhat surprisingly, steering feel.
This. Mine was delivered with 44psi on each tire, dropped it down to 34 all around and the difference is obvious.

Dan198

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335 xDrive, 2010 Audi Q5, 2014 Porsche Boxster S, 2016 Civic EX
Country flag
This. Mine was delivered with 44psi on each tire, dropped it down to 34 all around and the difference is obvious.
Whoa! Was it 44 after you had driven it for more than 15 mins? Not trying to be a jerk, but if it was, then you may have a situation of being under inflated now as the pressure will go up after a period of driving.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The worst I ever saw for that was a friend's old Hyundai Excel. He was showing off, doing 140kph down a hill, when a wind gust blew the car an entire lane over... I checked his tires at a garage using a real gauge... 56psi! Dropped them back to 34psi, and it was a marked improvement...

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Whoa! Was it 44 after you had driven it for more than 15 mins? Not trying to be a jerk, but if it was, then you may have a situation of being under inflated now as the pressure will go up after a period of driving.
Presumably @accordman checked cold. Even at that, if he dropped it to 34 "hot", then that'd probably be 30 or 31 "cold" which is still within 10% of the 32 on the door jamb sticker.

accordman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX
Nope. The tires were cool and the car parked overnight when I checked but yes 44PSI.
Sponsored