cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
I thought I would make a thread to hopefully condense some of the Phearable tune questions of us owners. I have two main quirks/questions that you folks might be able to help me answer with this tune. Just for clarity, it is the Phearable Tune that does NOT include "God Mode"

1) For the past week or so I've noticed that on Map 2 or Map 3 with the Cruise Main off (Rev Hang Disabled) when in 2nd or 3rd gear and you accelerate a bit, then let off the throttle and then get back on the throttle there is a delay/dead spot in the first 1/4" or so of travel where the car will not accelerate at all and then past that it feels like there is a very noticeable snap/jerk and the car accelerates. With Cruise Main on (Rev Hang Enabled) this does not happen. I don't know how this is related to Rev Hang at all as it doesn't seem to matter if you wait for 2-3 seconds after letting off the throttle to accelerate again with Cruise Main off with the dead 1/4" of throttle travel then snapping rather hard to accelerate. If there isn't a simple answer I'll probably email John at Phearable about it.

If it matters, I do have the stock air intake system still installed with the PRL intecooler/charge pipe. I'm having the 27WON CAI installed Tuesday morning so that may magically fix it. I dunno.....

2) Every time I start the car again, the tune starts back on Map 1. It doesn't matter what map I was on when I turned the car off and it doesn't matter if I shut the car off with Cruise Main on or off, it always defaults to Map 1 when I start the car again. No big deal, just curious if there is a simple way to set it up where it starts back in the map when the car was shut off. For what it's worth, I do not leave the Ktuner V2 plugged in. I plugged it in to last the car then unplugged and put it in my glove box.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
To answer #2, if your Ktuner is left plugged in, it will revert to the last used map. Unplugged, it will always revert to Map 1.

With the TSP Stage 1, you could contact the Two Step Performance and they would create a new tune file where Map 1 was the high power tune (for a small fee) which is a perfect workaround. You may want to contact Phearable to see if they can do the same.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To answer #2, if your Ktuner is left plugged in, it will revert to the last used map. Unplugged, it will always revert to Map 1.

With the TSP Stage 1, you could contact the Two Step Performance and they would create a new tune file where Map 1 was the high power tune (for a small fee) which is a perfect workaround. You may want to contact Phearable to see if they can do the same.
Thanks! Meh, it's not a big deal. I typically switch it over to Map 2 while the car is warming up for 10-20 seconds before I actually take off.

I will probably email them about the jerkiness issue that I described getting back on throttle.

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Phearable told me to pound dirt when I asked to switch the maps.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Phearable told me to pound dirt when I asked to switch the maps.
Seriously? Between that and the fact they haven't even considered joining here to interact with members, and the fact that unlike Hondata, KTuner and TSP they aren't doing a tune for CVT turbo owners, I'm bummed. Maybe they don't know there are more tuned CVT non-Si's than tuned manual non-Si's.

But hey, who am I to judge their business model. :cool:

Them basically telling you to f off when you asked for the map switch tells me all I need to know. I prefer dealing with customer friendly companies no matter how great their tune is.

Last edited:

Sport-injected

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Seriously? Between that and the fact they haven't even considered having a rep join here to interact with members, and the fact that unlike Hondata, KTuner and TSP they aren't doing a tune for CVT turbo owners, I'm not a fan. Fact is, there are more tuned CVT non-Si cars than tuned manual non-Si's simply due to the fact that the manuals are rare.

But hey, who am I to judge their business model. :cool:

Them basically telling you to f off when you asked for the map switch tells me all I need to know. I prefer dealing with customer friendly companies no matter how great their tune is.
Yeah when he said no, I replied it literally takes you 30 seconds to make that change but I guess it's to much of a hassle.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
FWIW, my experiences with John/Phearable have always been great. He was quick to email me answers to my questions and called me on the phone to answer some questions about a dyno run with the tune.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
FWIW, my experiences with John/Phearable have always been great. He was quick to email me answers to my questions and called me on the phone to answer some questions about a dyno run with the tune.
It was same for me. He was answering on my emails in the middle of the night ?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah when he said no, I replied it literally takes you 30 seconds to make that change but I guess it's to much of a hassle.
I had asked Derek (TSP tune guru) to adjust something in the Stage 1 tune for me a while back. I asked him how much the fee would be to do that. Two hours later he sent me a new file with my requests. That's amazing customer service if you ask me.

Overall, it does sound like most folks have gotten good customer service from Phearable too. But, I'm surprised they won't swap the 1 and 3 map slots like TSP does for a small fee.

Actually, I think TSP and Phearable should offer two versions from the start. A Map 1,2,3 version and a Map 3,2,1 version. Some people want a low power tune at startup and some prefer the high power tune all the time.

Last edited:

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I contacted TSP for a map with shots 1 and 3 swapped and was told they don't have any inverse files for the 2020 models.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted TSP for a map with shots 1 and 3 swapped and was told they don't have any inverse files for the 2020 models.
That's interesting. Going back to when they first released the tune (back in 2018 I think), they've been swapping 1 and 3 for people. I think charleswrivers was the first guy here to get that done.

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That's interesting. Going back to when they first released the tune (back in 2018 I think), they've been swapping 1 and 3 for people. I think charleswrivers was the first guy here to get that done.
I was told to check back in about one month. That was two months ago. I haven't checked back though.

I've been going back and forth with Phearable and TSP tunes, so it's not a big deal right now. If I stick with TSP, I will reach out again.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know I asked for one to be made on my 2018 a week or so after they originally released it back in 7/2018. It was just a matter of asking and they made me, what I assume was, the first one. I assume Derek has to make a one off that they then put my Ktuner serial number to and a few folks after me, when they asked, got the file made for me with their serial attached to it.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I sent Phearable the question I had about the throttle snapping with Rev Hang disabled. This is their reply:

Ed,

The phenomenon your describing has to do with Ktuner it’s self on 2020 year model only.

The software handles revhang and throttle padding differently on 2020 then others.

You will notice the same phenomenon with any tune including a Ktuner calibration with revhang disabled on a 2020.

At this time there is nothing we can do to tune around the issue your describing.

Regarding your Dyno testing it would likely be best to find a Dynojet.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thank you,

Again, I have had nothing but quick replies and great experiences with Phearable customer service. Your results may vary, of course.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@cameron.hill , Have you experienced this on your 2020?
Sponsored