Quiet tires for Sport Touring Hatch

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
One of the two things I really dislike about my 2018 ST Hatch is the stock tires make a horrible howling noise on most road surfaces. I've done the dynamat thing, which helped a bit, but the irritating noise is definitely tires.

So, what are the quietest options? I can give a little on handling, or even switch to a higher profile tire provided the speedometer error is less than 10%.
Sponsored

OhMyItsKev

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I came from $60 (Ironman something or other) tires to Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+ and the noise was a night and day difference. Probably a 70% reduction in general road noise.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring/p/30470

That's what I have had for the past 50k miles (not sure what size your wheels are, if these will work). I wanted something quieter and the reviews said they were quieter. I put them on and they are in fact quieter. Is all the road noise gone? No. But they are quieter.

Also treadlife seems to be pretty damn good too. 80k mile warranty and I will get every bit of that out of them.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/goodyear-assurance-comfortred-touring/p/30470

That's what I have had for the past 50k miles (not sure what size your wheels are, if these will work). I wanted something quieter and the reviews said they were quieter. I put them on and they are in fact quieter. Is all the road noise gone? No. But they are quieter.

Also treadlife seems to be pretty damn good too. 80k mile warranty and I will get every bit of that out of them.
Uh you sure about 80k miles on the same set of tires?

Probably more like 50-55k.

Honda Civic 10th gen Quiet tires for Sport Touring Hatch 1603838065367

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
Uh you sure about 80k miles on the same set of tires?

Probably more like 50-55k.

1603838065367.png
Yes I'm sure. I'm already at 50k miles on the set and have 5 to 6/32" left. I'm not a dumbass.

Last edited:

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I'm sure. I'm already at 50k miles on the set and have 5 to 6/32" left. I'm not a dumbass.
I meant the warranty. Haven't seen many brands do that many miles on warranty.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of the two things I really dislike about my 2018 ST Hatch is the stock tires make a horrible howling noise on most road surfaces. I've done the dynamat thing, which helped a bit, but the irritating noise is definitely tires.

So, what are the quietest options? I can give a little on handling, or even switch to a higher profile tire provided the speedometer error is less than 10%.

Following. I hate my Continental tires.....so loud!!

BTW, what's the other thing you dislike?

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I meant the warranty. Haven't seen many brands do that many miles on warranty.
Gotcha. I have seen much higher than 80k though. The Hankook Optimo H727 has a 100k warranty

OP
OP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
Which Continentals do you have?

The other thing I hate is the crappy sound system...think a "Touring" car should be much better.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Which Continentals do you have?

The other thing I hate is the crappy sound system...think a "Touring" car should be much better.
Conti Procontacts. I dunno if these were the stock tires that came on the car. If so, they're at 40k miles and looking like they have about 10k left. So treadwear has been good. But they have gotten loud. I really noticed it after I rotated them at 35k ish.

Edit: ....unless I have a wheel bearing going bad, which I guess is a possibility.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Conti Procontacts. I dunno if these were the stock tires that came on the car. If so, they're at 40k miles and looking like they have about 10k left. So treadwear has been good. But they have gotten loud. I really noticed it after I rotated them at 35k ish.

Edit: ....unless I have a wheel bearing going bad, which I guess is a possibility.
You are scalloped to shit my man. I thought I had serious problems but it was just cupping (another term for scalloping) once I put new tires on (brand new contipro's, I found a guy with stock sport touring tires that got 19's and used the 18's for snow) the noise went away completely.

Lesson learned? rotate your tires at every oil change. If I had done that, I would still be able to run those tires. I think I had half my tread left but the scalloping was so bad I had to throw them out.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here are pics:
Honda Civic 10th gen Quiet tires for Sport Touring Hatch 1604081425291

Honda Civic 10th gen Quiet tires for Sport Touring Hatch 1604081525773

This makes for an EXTREMELY loud ride. Mine were really bad because I have the APR race wing which produces like 120lb of downforce on the rear at 80mph, so the scalloping happens waaay faster.

OP
OP

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ST Hatch
Country flag
From "Know Your Parts"....

Honda Civic 10th gen Quiet tires for Sport Touring Hatch 1604082134854

Cupped or scalloped dips appearing around the surface of the tire tread wear could indicate loose, worn or bent suspension parts. ... Shocks and struts are the most likely culprit because they provide damping force to control tire movement. When the tires move excessively, the scalloped pattern can appear.

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From "Know Your Parts"....

Image result for cause of tire scalloping
Cupped or scalloped dips appearing around the surface of the tire tread wear could indicate loose, worn or bent suspension parts. ... Shocks and struts are the most likely culprit because they provide damping force to control tire movement. When the tires move excessively, the scalloped pattern can appear.
Yes the rear wheels on our cars from the factory have a pretty decent amount of camber, increasing tire wear on the inner edge compared to the outside edge. Couple that with not rotating your tires, and there you go. I'm not saying you don't rotate, I just had only done it once or twice in 30k.

I could have loose parts, but then I would be seeing the same thing already happening which it has not. Also again, it was only present on the inner edge where most of the force occurs, consistent on both sides with a consistent height difference of the scallops.

If you take it to a tire shop, they'll shine a flashlight in the wheel well and can tell you right away if it's scalloped. Once they showed me what they were seeing, I understood why it is a quick visual check. Since you didn't state above you had checked for this, it is a quick thing to cross off the list, and minimally invasive so I would recommend just getting it checked. Another way to test this: If you have a spare set of rims with tires such as snows, just throw them on and see if your noise goes away.

Just trying to offer some advice as you likely have around 30k miles (being in a 2018) which is when my scalloped tires were making SO much noise that I seriously thought something was wrong. Like I said above, I had a good amount of tread left, so it was a waste to replace the tires, and I have learned my lesson. I will be rotating my tires when I change my oil this weekend or next :doh:

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
On a previous car I ran Cooper RS3 all-season and they were superb for an all season and quiet (It saw rain and snow in the winter)
Sponsored