quick question, can't seem to make up my mind..

tiger49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic EX
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I bought a 17' honda civic ex with 28,600 miles on it. It is a CPO but i ended up purchasing an 8 year/100 K warranty for 1795. I think I was exhausted from this whole car purchasing process that for some reason bought it. Anyways, I have plenty of time to cancel it. My only issue is that I keep going back and forth about many people complaining about AC issues in their whole milege cars. I didn't know about AC problems prior to purchasing and I also didn't know about this forum. It was my first car and the hand me down car I was driving ended up breaking down that day leaving me with somewhat of no choice to make a same day purchase. The way I have somewhat reasoned is that most of the extended warranties offered online are 8 years/100-120 K for <6K miles cost about 1100. Technically, the first 3 years of the warranty is a waste so you arent using it until the last 5 years. If I divide 1100/60 ->$18. If i divide 1795/96 -> $18.7. So I guess from a monetary standpoint, I don't think the warranty ended up costing me more for the next 8 years vs purchasing a new car with an 8 year warranty. But, I still keep going back and forth on this because I am wondering if I will actually use it or will I come out ahead just saving that money on the side? The number of AC problems I have read about actually do make me afraid and im kicking myself for not being aware of this before the puchase. But looking at the cost of AC repair, it seems up there and I don't know what else is going to happen to the car. I drove my last car 2000 honda civic lx for 7 years, thus I am thinking maybe I'll end up keeping the car for that long so maybe the warranty might come in handy. Thoughts?
'
Sponsored

heresick

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch MT
Country flag
Hey there! Welcome to the forum! I see you joined very recently!

After breaking through that wall of text, I think that it’s a great reminder that these cars so far have proven to be incredibly reliable.

This is great news for you if you are wanting to get the 7+ years out of it like your previous car.

This isn’t necessarily backed by science, more so just a general maintenance type things, but how much you use, and how often you use something is what will eventually provide wear.

I am not sure the average weather temp or how often you will use your AC (with fresh air and windows down) in Massachusetts, but in AZ we just broke a record for 180+ 100+ degree days. - Yikes

The thing is there is no way to know if you will end up using it for that issue, but I highly recommend combing through this page Here

As many users have shared their personal experience and various wear and tears, in addition to mods etc.

-
Lastly, you can always cancel your warranty early and get a refund for the amount that you have left and unused if you decide to go that route.

good luck and welcome!?

Madrigal77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX
Country flag
I believe Honda has an extended 10 year warranty free of charge for AC problems, so if your only reason to purchase the extended warranty is for AC, you can probably cancel it.

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
I believe Honda has an extended 10 year warranty free of charge for AC problems, so if your only reason to purchase the extended warranty is for AC, you can probably cancel it.
The warranty extension you're referring to applies only to the condenser. And while failed condensers are responsible for many of the AC issues described in this forum, there are plenty of failures associated with other parts, like the compressor or evaporator. Those can be pricey to replace.

Old F@rt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, 2016 Z51 Stingray, 2006 Tundra
Country flag
OP, extended warranties can provide a peace of mind, but read the small print & make sure items that you are concerned about are fully covered (A/C in your case, but see if it lists what isn't covered under ex. warranty). Only you can really decide if a warranty is right for you or not.

You can actually help extend the life of your car's A/C by periodically cycling it on, even in your frigid winters. The refrigerant contains a lubricant that helps prevent 'O' rings & seals from drying out & so preventing leaks & compressor issues in the future.

Hope this helps & congrats on your new DD. Cheers

Last edited:

OP
OP

tiger49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic EX
Country flag
Thank you guys so much for your response! I think I was a bit worried about the electronics too but I haven't read many people having any issues with that. The honda care warranty states that it covers all the ac parts, condensor/compressor. I think what I noted is that some people have condensor issues while others were noted to have compressor issues and its such a hit or miss. But, I have started to cycle the ac now once/twice a week.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Thank you guys so much for your response! I think I was a bit worried about the electronics too but I haven't read many people having any issues with that. The honda care warranty states that it covers all the ac parts, condensor/compressor. I think what I noted is that some people have condensor issues while others were noted to have compressor issues and its such a hit or miss. But, I have started to cycle the ac now once/twice a week.
Remember not to idle it for more than 5 minutes as that will worsen the oil dilution. Drive it around instead with the AC on.

OP
OP

tiger49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic EX
Country flag
Remember not to idle it for more than 5 minutes as that will worsen the oil dilution. Drive it around instead with the AC on.
I bought the ex, so hopefully no oil dilution problems. I think I got paranoid reading about the turbo engine, even though i really enjoyed test driving it more

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought the ex, so hopefully no oil dilution problems. I think I got paranoid reading about the turbo engine, even though i really enjoyed test driving it more
Isn't the ex a 1.5 turbo engine tho?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
You can actually help extend the life of your car's A/C by periodically cycling it on, even in your frigid winters. The refrigerant contains a lubricant that helps prevent 'O' rings & seals from drying out & so preventing leaks & compressor issues in the future.

100% right, never leave A/C off for few months. Use it each month, winter time too. Just 15 minutes ?
It cost $140 to my wife for a refill .

Condenser 10 year warranty ; some dealer change in the same time compressor and some hoses wich are not on warranty and charge you more than $1k ; read here on forum.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
I think you're too paranoid about what you have read online but that is quite understandable. The A/C Condenser which has caused these AC issues is warrantied for 10 years now because Honda acknowledge they have issues so you don't need any warranty to get it fixed.

Is the warranty through Honda or is it through some other company?

OP
OP

tiger49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic EX
Country flag
I think you're too paranoid about what you have read online but that is quite understandable. The A/C Condenser which has caused these AC issues is warrantied for 10 years now because Honda acknowledge they have issues so you don't need any warranty to get it fixed.

Is the warranty through Honda or is it through some other company?
It is a honda care warranty. lol yeah a bit too paranoid agreed.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I feel your pain., When I bought my 2016 LX (new) I was talked into buying the extended warranty ( I think it was about 2K) but after I got home and thought about it I cancelled it. They then credited the two grand back to my finance balance. I've had the car for going on five years now and haven't spent a single cent on repairs. The A.C. condenser and compressor were replaced at no cost to me by Honda when the car was a year old.I had to put a new battery in it last week, but that's not a repair, that's just a normal wear item. I researched extended warranties and some are better than others. Last time I checked the best one was Endurance, I think. The mechanics where I live told me it's the only one they never had a problem with as far as covering repairs. But my car is pretty basic, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like lane sensing, crash mitigation, side mirror camera, none of that stuff, which suits me just fine. Also it's an M.T., not CVT. So there's not a lot of stuff to go wrong on it. They make a lot of profit on extended warranties so they must get more money for them than they pay out in covered repairs.
Sponsored

Last edited: