John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi everyone,
So first off, my last car was a 2006 Honda Civic. Back then, there was no such thing as push-button ignitions, Bluetooth connecting phones, rear camera, etc. I remember my first time trying to turn-on a car with a push-button (it was a rental). I sat in that parking lot for over 5-minutes lol.

Sorry if this was asked, but my search kungfu didn’t yield any answers. When connected via Bluetooth (not plugging in the phone), I do indeed get notifications for SMS via a banner on the infotainment screen. But does the Civic announce incoming messages? I ask this because in my gf's car (not a Civic) it announces verbally that there's a new text message. I'm just wondering if maybe I setup something wrong or doing a noob mistake.

Thank you, this community and forum is awesome. So happy to be part of it now :wave:
Sponsored

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I don’t think there is an option to announce it, just a pop up window with read/ignore and a beep.

If you are at a stop or running hondahack you can read the message yourself instead of just hearing the system read it for you. At that point you can see some amount of past messages. My question is how can you get to this screen without a new message coming in?

OP
OP
Hydrolic11

Hydrolic11

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don’t think there is an option to announce it, just a pop up window with read/ignore and a beep.

If you are at a stop or running hondahack you can read the message yourself instead of just hearing the system read it for you. At that point you can see some amount of past messages. My question is how can you get to this screen without a new message coming in?
Ah ok, that in itself is helpful; I have the "beeps" turned-off for every infotainment keypress. So it sounds like the tradeoff is not hearing any audible beep that tells me there is a notification, unless I have the "beeps" turned-on.

WilfredGilkeyx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hello, thank you for sharing your experience about dealing with the Honda Civic sound system, Hydrolic11! Last year I was trying to manage the additional SMS system for my car, so if something strange happened car would send me an SMS message with a text. I tried to *teach* my car to respond to my SMS messages like *your current location*, *how much fuel left*, etc. I was using the fake phone number services to create the proper phone number for my messages. If some of you got experience with setting your car's SMS messages system, let me know.

Last edited:

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
You need to turn on notifications on YOUR PHONE Bluetooth setting screen. This enable CarPlay to display when messages come in. It will also enable read back to you. The car will read you your text. And then…you can speak to respond and the car will type for you and reply…
Sponsored