Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hey guys, just picked up a Fx350 clutch since my clutch is slipping now at 34k miles. New manual driver so I might have worn the clutch down. Planning on installing my clutch after the holidays but I have 2 questions.
1) Do I have to switch to a Single-Mass Flywheel with the clutch or a new stock Dual-Mass Flywheel is okay?
2) Is it possible to resurface a Dual-Mass Flywheel? Ive seen some mixed information on if its possible or not.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Not speaking from experience. Based on what I've gathered here:

1. The factory DMF can't be resurfaced
  2. FX clutches can be used with the original DMF
  3. FX clutches have terrible lifetime and are generally not recommended. If you still have the chance to return I'd look into other options..

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
1. You do not have to switch to a smf, but there are pro’s to doing so. Mainly no more rev hang. However there are cons, like additional shock to the drive train that a dmf would normally absorb. Whenever you are changing your clutch it is recommended to either resurface your flywheel or replace it. A new dmf is expensive. The cheapest quote I got from Hondadirect.com was $1200.
2. You can not resurface a dmf as the resurfacing process may damage the springs inside the flywheel.

I recently changed my clutch for a Exedy stage 1 clutch, and took my dmf to a machine shop to see if they could resurface it. They recommended I simply sand the flywheel disk to create more friction for the new clutch. They did state a dmf should last about 100k miles and when they do go bad you will hear a constant rattle. After replacing my clutch, it feels like oem. Very happy with the end result!

also my cars mileage was around 38k when I changed the clutch. Almost like yours. All in all I paid less than $500 for the my new clutch. If cost is no issue, a ctr retro clutch kit from Eman would be a good option as you can continue building your car and adding power knowing your clutch will hold up.

OP
OP

Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Not speaking from experience. Based on what I've gathered here:

1. The factory DMF can't be resurfaced
  2. FX clutches can be used with the original DMF
  3. FX clutches have terrible lifetime and are generally not recommended. If you still have the chance to return I'd look into other options..
I found the FX350 for cheap so I took the chance. What aftermarket DMF or SMF would you recommend? Or just try to find a DMF that came from a stock civic si with low miles? I don't mind the rev hang

OP
OP

Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
1. You do not have to switch to a smf, but there are pro’s to doing so. Mainly no more rev hang. However there are cons, like additional shock to the drive train that a dmf would normally absorb. Whenever you are changing your clutch it is recommended to either resurface your flywheel or replace it. A new dmf is expensive. The cheapest quote I got from Hondadirect.com was $1200.
2. You can not resurface a dmf as the resurfacing process may damage the springs inside the flywheel.

I recently changed my clutch for a Exedy stage 1 clutch, and took my dmf to a machine shop to see if they could resurface it. They recommended I simply sand the flywheel disk to create more friction for the new clutch. They did state a dmf should last about 100k miles and when they do go bad you will hear a constant rattle. After replacing my clutch, it feels like oem. Very happy with the end result!

also my cars mileage was around 38k when I changed the clutch. Almost like yours. All in all I paid less than $500 for the my new clutch. If cost is no issue, a ctr retro clutch kit from Eman would be a good option as you can continue building your car and adding power knowing your clutch will hold up.
What machine shop did you go to? Im in Cali as well. My plan is to just upgrade my clutch and if I have to then upgrade my flywheel if needed.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Hey guys, just picked up a Fx350 clutch since my clutch is slipping now at 34k miles. New manual driver so I might have worn the clutch down. Planning on installing my clutch after the holidays but I have 2 questions.
1) Do I have to switch to a Single-Mass Flywheel with the clutch or a new stock Dual-Mass Flywheel is okay?
2) Is it possible to resurface a Dual-Mass Flywheel? Ive seen some mixed information on if its possible or not.
Question, did you pick up their unsprung or sprung clutch option?

If you got the unsprung that has to be used with the DMF.

The sprung is meant for a single mass flywheel

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Make sure you break in the clutch fully before you start getting on it again.

From my experience, the fx400 has been amazing. ~25k miles on it now and no issues.

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What machine shop did you go to? Im in Cali as well. My plan is to just upgrade my clutch and if I have to then upgrade my flywheel if needed.
Hit them up! I went to Valley Friction Materials in North Hollywood. They did me the favor of looking over my flywheel to see if they recommended I change it.

I originally purchased a stage 2 clutch from Exedy, which is 3 puck style rigid disk. Rigid disks are best paired With dmf to reduce increased vibration, but finally decided to just get a stage 1.

OP
OP

Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Question, did you pick up their unsprung or sprung clutch option?

If you got the unsprung that has to be used with the DMF.

The sprung is meant for a single mass flywheel
It says its rigid so I guess it works with OEM.

OP
OP

Sxcrates

First Name
Socrates Molano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hit them up! I went to Valley Friction Materials in North Hollywood. They did me the favor of looking over my flywheel to see if they recommended I change it.

I originally purchased a stage 2 clutch from Exedy, which is 3 puck style rigid disk. Rigid disks are best paired With dmf to reduce increased vibration, but finally decided to just get a stage 1.
DId they also install the clutch for you?

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

Shadowfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport manual
Country flag
I had my factory DMF resurfaced when I installed my fx350. It cost about $100.

I only got 30000 miles out of my fx350 then it started to slip.

I'm currently running a SMF now and there is a noticeable improvement with it over the DMF. I wouldn't call it night and day omg you have to have it but it is a little better for sure.