Quick Beeping when walking away from car...

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Happens to me also. Wondering if its the sensor for door ajar/open?
I thought so too, but the problem goes away when I open/close ANY door, and not necessarily the one that I closed just prior to the 5 beeps.
Sponsored

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I've had the rapid beep twice. In both cases, my pocket with the fob was very close to the door when I shut it. I noticed in the manual the statement:

"After the auto lock function has been activated, the
auto lock operation stop beeper sounds for
approximately two seconds in the following cases.
• The smart entry remote is put inside the vehicle
through a window.
• You are located too close to the vehicle."

Since then I've tried closing the door at more of an arm's length. YMMV.
Great catch! I'm going to try this tomorrow.

cibertek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
When the car makes the rapid beeping 10 times or so. It means there's a door open, the car is running or the key is inside the vehicle.
Only time i've seen that happen is when I walk away while the car is running with the key still in my pocket.

latexyankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
this happens to me at least twice a day. It happens when I walk away too fast and also happens every time I don't walk away fast enough, basically rendering it useless. When pulling into work I get out shut the door to open the back seat to get my bag and it goes nuts. Once this rapid beeping occurs the auto lock will not engage so you're screwed. Other times I'll get out and it will just go nuts. Actually I would say this happens 80% of the time. I might actually get the auto lock to engage 2 out of 10 times. It's getting to the point I'm going to disable it because I have to manually lock every time just in case. Sucks cause it was one of my favorite features at the dealership.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
this happens to me at least twice a day. It happens when I walk away too fast and also happens every time I don't walk away fast enough, basically rendering it useless. When pulling into work I get out shut the door to open the back seat to get my bag and it goes nuts. Once this rapid beeping occurs the auto lock will not engage so you're screwed. Other times I'll get out and it will just go nuts. Actually I would say this happens 80% of the time. I might actually get the auto lock to engage 2 out of 10 times. It's getting to the point I'm going to disable it because I have to manually lock every time just in case. Sucks cause it was one of my favorite features at the dealership.
If it happens that often, you could consider taking it to the dealer. It would be pretty easy to demonstrate. I know it's a hassle, but if it's one of your favourite features, it might be worth it. Or at least have them look at it during your next regularly scheduled service.

Bigred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic exl
Try this put the fob in a different pock from your cell phone. Cell phone interfere with the fob transmission.

17RidgelineBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RidgeLine, Black Edition
I have the 2017 Rideline, same setup and same problem, it is terrible. About 50% false indication. It will sometimes do the rapid beep when I get INTO the vehicle. It nearly always does the rapid beep if I shut off the vehicle and open the rear door, too. It pretty much doesn't work reliably.

* Doesn't matter if keyfob is not near phone
* Doesn't matter if you move slow
* Doesn't matter if keep your fob exposed or not when exiting
* Doesn't matter if headlights are are on auto, or on or off.
* Doesn't matter if 2nd fob is nearby or not

Chalk it up to the terrible electronics of Honda. Could waste an entire forum of Honda's electronics shortcomings. Waiting for my 1st service visit, then I will present a list of things for them to review. But you are not the only one with the rapid beep problem. Hope you find a solution.

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
It happens to me once in a while. I'm wondering if it has to do with closing the door and walking alongside the car back toward the trunk. Could the system be confused and think the fob is still in the car? Try first walking straight away from the car a few steps and then left or right.

17RidgelineBE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RidgeLine, Black Edition
It happens to me once in a while. I'm wondering if it has to do with closing the door and walking alongside the car back toward the trunk. Could the system be confused and think the fob is still in the car? Try first walking straight away from the car a few steps and then left or right.
I'm not sure, I keep trying to find a pattern. It's not limited to walking alongside the car (toward back or toward front). That is only when I find it most annoying as I access the rear door, as I do frequently. It's incredibly frustrating in a quiet neighborhood in the evening or late night. The quick, repeated beeps for the Honda Walk Away feature problem is either such an easy pattern to replicate and I'm overthinking it, or it is deeper sensor issue. I'm starting to get the impression that maybe the proximity sensors are so weak (or perhaps the computer's refresh rate is so slow) that it doesn't always detect the keyfob.

I haven't really searched the forums specifically for the 2017 Ridgeline problem for this, I just did an initial, quick search of the issue and saw this forum. I also see the Pilot owners are complaining, too. If I find an answer, I will post it.

Cheers everyone.

BobbyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT WOP
Country flag
Thank you for reminding me of the "Auto lock function operation stop beeper" section of the 600-page manual.

Why the hell the Civic manual technical writer didn't just state: If you hear a succession of 6 beeps as you walk away from your car, your car is not locked. Lock it using the key fob. A single beep will confirm it is locked.

I still can't figure out the factors about my exit from my Civic that fails to trigger the walk away auto lock function. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Despite these little gremlins, I do luv my Civic.

Ash2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC 2016 Touring
Thank you for reminding me of the "Auto lock function operation stop beeper" section of the 600-page manual.

Why the hell the Civic manual technical writer didn't just state: If you hear a succession of 6 beeps as you walk away from your car, your car is not locked. Lock it using the key fob. A single beep will confirm it is locked.

I still can't figure out the factors about my exit from my Civic that fails to trigger the walk away auto lock function. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Despite these little gremlins, I do luv my Civic.
Hi,
What I have experienced so far is, your cellphone, credit cards or metal coins or keys in same pocket bothers the auto walk away lock feature. So if possible just keep the key fob alone in one pocket. Good luck...

BobbyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT WOP
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cell, credit cards and coins are in other pockets.

And removing my house keys from the fob would really just increase my chances one of them will get lost or forgotten. :dunno:

Just have to train myself not to boogie to my train until the lock is confirmed by beep and flashing lights.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cell, credit cards and coins are in other pockets.

And removing my house keys from the fob would really just increase my chances one of them will get lost or forgotten. :dunno:

Just have to train myself not to boogie to my train until the lock is confirmed by beep and flashing lights.
Ya, easiest to listen for a single beep. If you hear 4 beeps, just open and close any one of the doors. Easy peasy.
Sponsored