Onzala

First Name
Onur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Hey guys, i am looking to buy a Type R in the next couple of months but was wondering if it may be worth waiting for the 2020? I can see it has had a facelift and some other things changed. And if i were to buy it without waiting for the 2020, would Honda supply the new 2020 parts directly (new front and rear bumper etc).Also, how often would you need to change tires on these with the stock rims?
Sponsored

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
the 2020 models are right around the corner...so i'd just wait and see what the 2020 models look like?

I've got 17k miles on my stock tires, 98% daily driving and they're at 3/32nds on the most worn pair.

darrvao777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR, '18 G550
Country flag
the 2020 models are right around the corner...so i'd just wait and see what the 2020 models look like?

I've got 17k miles on my stock tires, 98% daily driving and they're at 3/32nds on the most worn pair.
When can we expect the 2020s to hit US soil?

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
So the 2017 went on sale in june of 2017. at the time the internet kept saying it was gonna be the 2018 model that was gonna be first for sale. THEY WERE WRONG. The 2018 went on sale sometime in February 2018 ( edit: I have since found out it was late fall 17 so other then the 17 all other years were late fall release), if I remember correctly with no fan fair or speculation. But right away the rumors flew about the upcoming 2019 being a mid model redo on the R. Why I dont know. And the Same white R with new wing and front end were pictured and going around back in 2018 right after the 18's hit. Well we see where that went. The 2019s were released for sale in November 2018 and Guess what with nothing more then some radio buttons and a knob, none of the massively talked about changes. So now here we are a few months into 2019 and rumors again and the same car picture from "spy" shots is going around again with talk of changes, Now the yellow car is new haven't seen that one till recently to be fair. But back to reality.
The Swindon is closing in the early part of 2021 to move to USA for production of the civic line. So with only one model year ,2020 between now and then and if they release the 2020 in November again and if they follow that release the 2021 would be in November of 2020 which is only a few months before shut down.

With all that said I highly doubt they will do any retooling to the production of a limited run car just before they shut the factory down. No company is going to make a capitol investment into production for one run. So I predict we wont even see any thing major changed for 2020. 2021 will most likely be special limited run of special edition cars due to being so close to closing the plant.

Honda has already said their focus will be on getting the regular civic line up and running here in the states as thats the bread and butter. So would not surprise me if we didn't see a 2023 R at all, as honda has skipped years before on cars. My bet is on 2024 before we see any Real Changes in the R as far as engine and performance and style. In the mean time we might get a bumper or a different wing or something minor that does not cost to much in retooling a closing plant.

Now this is all my speculation but I have had conversations in person with people in the know and they said off record they would be surprised if that is not how it plays out.

2020 model if released like the 2019 in November then its only a few more months just wait and see but if no changes I wouldn't wait I would get one. After all with factory changes and everything else there is always the chance, small, they just stop making them. The regular civic line sells millions a year, I think i read somewhere the R only makes up 3.5 percent of over all civic sales world wide. That's nothing to Honda in the bigger picture if they had too they would stop production in a min to focus on the regular civic line. And they have just up and stop production of a specialty car before so its not unheard of.

Last edited:

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
The 2018 went on sale sometime in February, if I remember right of 2018 with no fan fair or speculation.
My '18 was on the market in Dec '17. Bought it in Feb, but by then it was on the market for about 75 days.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
My '18 was on the market in Dec '17. Bought it in Feb, but by then it was on the market for about 75 days.
Cool I couldn't remember. I knew the 17 was a late limited release. So looks like they are sticking with the late fall releases. Only the 17 didn't fit that.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Buy now if it ticks all the boxes. What don't you like about the current model year? The 2020 facelift may or may not happen or at most very minor. Seize the day. Who knows what tomorrow brings.
Sponsored