Questions on interior lighting kits

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
I plan on installing the interior lighting kits for the type r over the holiday. I have the inner door pocket lights, interior ambient light kit, console illumination kit, and door sill trims. Even though it's not a kit, i'm going to try installing a glove box light as well from this thread:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...l-glove-box-light-into-2016-2018-model.35733/

I figure i should do them all at once since the same panels and components will be removed for proper installation.

1. is there a certain order i should do these in?
  2. does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to connect all the lights to the fusebox?
  3. Are there any other kits interior lights that can be done?
  4. The light that's right under the climate controls. Is there an easy way to do a bulb replacement on that one and which bulb type would it be? want it to be red instead of white.
  5. I have 3m yellow type, electrical tape, an interior trim remover tool set, printed instructions from college hills honda, and all the other wrenches and screwdrivers. any other tools i'll need?
  6. any gotchas that i should be aware of? I've read a couple of threads where people have shorted out their gauge cluster. how do i avoid that? ]

This is going to be my first major mod done solo so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. normally i'd have my buddy help who's way more experienced at tearing apart the inside of a car but covid and all, i'm going to try this solo.
Sponsored

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
I plan on installing the interior lighting kits for the type r over the holiday. I have the inner door pocket lights, interior ambient light kit, console illumination kit, and door sill trims. Even though it's not a kit, i'm going to try installing a glove box light as well from this thread:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...l-glove-box-light-into-2016-2018-model.35733/

I figure i should do them all at once since the same panels and components will be removed for proper installation.

1. is there a certain order i should do these in?
I would work my way out (door panels) and work inwards. You will have to remove lots of the dash to install the door illumination anyways.
  1. does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to connect all the lights to the fusebox?
The door and interior illumination kits do not get powered by the fuse box. The interior illumination has a sub harness that plugs between the climate control and dash harness. The door illumination taps into the driver door and the climate control harnesses.
  1. Are there any other kits interior lights that can be done?
There is the armrest illumination kit. You will need to buy the new armrest pad (have it reupholstered) and the illumination kit.
  1. The light that's right under the climate controls. Is there an easy way to do a bulb replacement on that one and which bulb type would it be? want it to be red instead of white.
You can find someone to solder in new LED chips, otherwise there is no OEM replacement. There are two LED, one under the climate control and one mounted inside the front part of the center console. Both are the same LEDs/part.
  1. I have 3m yellow type, electrical tape, an interior trim remover tool set, printed instructions from college hills honda, and all the other wrenches and screwdrivers. any other tools i'll need?
Wire guide wire. Drill with bits. File to remove the burrs on the plastic panels after you drill. Probably a razor. Push pin for the marking of the templates.
  1. any gotchas that i should be aware of? I've read a couple of threads where people have shorted out their gauge cluster. how do i avoid that? ]
Never had a problem with shorting out anything. Just follow the instructions.

This is going to be my first major mod done solo so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. normally i'd have my buddy help who's way more experienced at tearing apart the inside of a car but covid and all, i'm going to try this solo.

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
You will do a lot of work with all the lighting kits. I know it, because I have already done it, only by myself.
You will need more sponge adhesive tape (to wrap in addition the wires and the cables at different places to avoid the vibrations and other noises) and a stainless steel wire (to pull the door lining illumination harness from the right front door to interior of the car).
A set of thinner zip ties will be usefull too at some places, because the provided zip ties are very big and thick.
Good luck !

Last edited:

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You will do a lot of work with all the lighting kits. I know it, because I have done it already, only by myself.
You will need more of a sponge adhesive tape (to wrap the wires and the cables in addition at different places to avoid the vibrations and other noises) and a stainless steel wire (to pull the door lining illumination harness from the right front door to interior of the car).
Good luck !
If OP wants the door illumination to work with the headlights and not with the ignition being on (per Honda instructions), he doesn't have to pull the wire through to the cabin. He can tap the 12v illumination wire for the window switch on both sides. I pulled the wire to the cabin originally because of the Honda instructions but eventually I tapped the 12v illumination from the climate control harness. IDK why Honda decided to make the door illumination come on with the ignition.

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If OP wants the door illumination to work with the headlights and not with the ignition being on (per Honda instructions), he doesn't have to pull the wire through to the cabin. He can tap the 12v illumination wire for the window switch on both sides. I pulled the wire to the cabin originally because of the Honda instructions but eventually I tapped the 12v illumination from the climate control harness. IDK why Honda decided to make the door illumination come on with the ignition.
You have right, but I told him about the steel wire considering the Honda instructions. I installed them like Honda instructions require, but I am not very happy with the door lining lights, because they don’t dim like the footwell lights. I don’t know why mine don’t dim, because I saw them dimming in other threads and photos showed by other guys, maybe it is a matter of connections, but I don’t know how.
This is my work and I am very proud of it ? :

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits 8714E0BE-B4CA-410C-AA60-E918D8A3B462

Last edited:

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Thanks for this. That armrest illumination, is this the one you're talking about?

https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08E16-TBA-100B.html

does that work on a type r? I guess i should have mentioned that. Looks like it's a completely different armrest.

bummer about that led under the climate controls.

You will do a lot of work with all the lighting kits. I know it, because I have already done it, only by myself.
You will need more sponge adhesive tape (to wrap in addition the wires and the cables at different places to avoid the vibrations and other noises) and a stainless steel wire (to pull the door lining illumination harness from the right front door to interior of the car).
A set of thinner zip ties will be usefull too at some places, because the provided zip ties are very big and thick.
Good luck !
thanks for this. didn't think about getting the sponge tape. looks like i got a few more things to buy to prep.

I have an old drill but might make this an excuse to get a new dewalt set. and i'm probably going to stick with the instructions when it comes to wiring it all up.

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for this. That armrest illumination, is this the one you're talking about?

does that work on a type r? I guess i should have mentioned that. Looks like it's a completely different armrest.

thanks for this. didn't think about getting the sponge tape. looks like i got a few more things to buy to prep.

I have an old drill but might make this an excuse to get a new dewalt set. and i'm probably going to stick with the instructions when it comes to wiring it all up.
Extra advises from my experience :
1. Don’t hurry to finish the installation, try to find free days when you will do the job, and be in a good mood for work, start it not tired (I am not joking).
2. Use protective tape around the car parts of the dashboard wich you will remove and reinstall because it is possible to scratch another part when you will pull them out or when you will put them back.
3. Try to avoid to use the prying tools, use your fingers as much as you can.
4. Route the harnesses exactely as the instructions say, the lenght of the cables is very well calculated.
5. Look the tutorials posted on Youtube, about how to remove the parts of the dashboard and the interior panels of the front doors, you will find a lot of tips.
6. Don’t remove the grommet of the right front door when you will pull the harness of the door lining lights to the interior of the car (it will be difficult to put it back), you will succed only using the steel wire.
7. Bend the steel wire at the front end to avoid to dammage the car harnesses.
8. When you will remove the interior panels of the front doors, begin from the corner near the speakers.
9. Count how many cables you will disconnect when you remove the head unit and take a photo behind it, in the connectors zone.
10. Use thin rubber gloves when you work, to avoid to let fingertips everywhere or to cut your skin.
11. Attention when you install the joint connectors of the door lining illumination kit, you must to verify to be well installated, as in the instructions.
12. You will need a slip-joint pliers for tightening the joint connectors as in the instructions.
13. I used drills for wood because they have a sharp top and I started with a drill with 1 mm diameter and change the drills progressively, drilling from milimeter to milimeter in diameter until the final level. I was very happy about how look the edges of the holes at the final of the operation, they look top quality.
14. Take photos before the removing of something, it will be useful for you when you’ll want to see the original form from the factory.
If will need any other advise for this installation, you can ask me.
These are the drills for wood :

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits 1A96D5BE-32DF-4D79-B4BC-D80ECCB65D92

And a slip-joint pliers like this :

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits B5808805-F9FB-4F21-95D2-A67131931585

And the steel wire with the bent ends :

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits 6CB70535-29C4-4E0A-ACC3-2C4F2C7C743B

Last edited:

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Yes it works for the type R but you need the armrest pads reupholstered in Alcantara. Sweidit can help with that.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I installed the globe box light from that page. Its really easy to install. The hardest thing is running the wires and making it clean. There's a ground right behind where the light goes and I just tapped into a 12v constant. It's a piece of cake. Let me know if you need a walk through.

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
I installed the globe box light from that page. Its really easy to install. The hardest thing is running the wires and making it clean. There's a ground right behind where the light goes and I just tapped into a 12v constant. It's a piece of cake. Let me know if you need a walk through.
Did you use a red LED?

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Extra advises from my experience :
1. Don’t hurry up to finish the installation, try to find free days when you will do the job, and be in a good mood for work, start it not tired (I am not joking).
2. Use protective tape around the car parts of the dashboard wich you will remove and reinstall because it is possible to scratch another part when you will pull them out or when you will put them back.
3. Try to avoid to use the prying tools, use your fingers as much as you can.
4. Route the harnesses exactely as the instructions say, the lenght of the cables is very well calculated.
5. Look the tutorials posted on Youtube, about how to remove the parts of the dashboard and the interior panels of the front doors, you will find a lot of tips.
6. Don’t remove the grommet of the right front door when you will pull the harness of the door lining lights to the interior of the car (it will be difficult to put it back), you will succed only using the steel wire.
7. Bend the steel wire at the front end to avoid to dammage the car harnesses.
8. When you will remove the interior panels of the front doors, begin from the corner near the speakers.
9. Count how many cables you will disconnect when you remove the head unit and take a photo behind it, in the connectors zone.
10. Use thin rubber gloves when you work, to avoid to let fingertips everywhere or to cut your skin.
11. Attention when you install the joint connectors of the door lining illumination kit, you must to verify to be well installated, as in the instructions.
12. You will need a slip-joint pliers for tightening the joint connectors as in the instructions.
13. I used drills for wood because they have a sharp top and I started with a drill with 1 mm diameter and change the drills progressively, drilling from milimeter to milimeter in diameter until the final level. I was very happy about how look the edges of the holes at the final of the operation, they look top quality.
14. Take photos before the removing of something, it will be useful for you when you’ll want to see the original form from the factory.
If will need any other advise for this installation, you can ask me.
These are the drills for wood :

1A96D5BE-32DF-4D79-B4BC-D80ECCB65D92.jpeg

And a slip-joint pliers like this :

B5808805-F9FB-4F21-95D2-A67131931585.jpeg

And the steel wire with the bent ends :

6CB70535-29C4-4E0A-ACC3-2C4F2C7C743B.jpeg
Thanks for this. I have no illusion about finishing it all in one day. Thank god I have some days off during the holidays to do this.

wmo168

First Name
Mr M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Country flag
Thanks for this. I have no illusion about finishing it all in one day. Thank god I have some days off during the holidays to do this.
Keep us posted. I may be in the same boat. Just hasnt pull the trigger

Cyriletto

First Name
Cyriletto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R FK8 Polished Metallic Grey
Country flag
You have right, but I told him about the steel wire considering the Honda instructions. I installed them like Honda instructions require, but I am not very happy with the door lining lights, because they don’t dim like the footwell lights. I don’t know why mine don’t dim, because I saw them dimming in other threads and photos showed by other guys, maybe it is a matter of connections, but I don’t know how.
This is my work and I am very proud of it ? :

8714E0BE-B4CA-410C-AA60-E918D8A3B462.jpeg
Hello JDM Power !

You seems to know a lot of things about wiring and leds kits, so may I ask you a question ?

I would need some help / advice about Led Foot Lights I'd bought on Aliexpress :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148207670.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2c9a4c4dJzRX5m

I plugged them on dedicated female pin and they're working this way :
- Leds lights up when the door is opened and the lights will go out when the door is closed.

They are supposed lights up when headlights are turned on, but unfortunately they don't... :( since they turned off when engine is on.

I wonder if it is possible to keep leds on while driving / engine is on ? Do you have any idea how to do that ?

Many thanks !

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits leds.PNG

JDM Power

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello JDM Power !

You seems to know a lot of things about wiring and leds kits, so may I ask you a question ?

I would need some help / advice about Led Foot Lights I'd bought on Aliexpress :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148207670.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2c9a4c4dJzRX5m

I plugged them on dedicated female pin and they're working this way :
- Leds lights up when the door is opened and the lights will go out when the door is closed.

They are supposed lights up when headlights are turned on, but unfortunately they don't... :( since they turned off when engine is on.

I wonder if it is possible to keep leds on while driving / engine is on ? Do you have any idea how to do that ?

Many thanks !

leds.PNG
Hi ! I already saw your question in your dedicated started thread and I tried to explain myself why this happens to you, but unfortunately, I really don’t know.
You connected the harness to the right 6-pin connector.
I used an OEM Honda footwell lights kit and everything is ok, maybe this issue is caused by your aftermarket type of harness. I don’t know how is your harness wire diagram or wich is your led specs.
An OEM kit lights up when the door is opened and continues to light even after the door is closed, but the the light is dimmed. I don’t remember exactely when the dimming happens, when I close the door or when I start the engine, I will investigate and I will tell you.
What would I do in your case ? I would try to find another place to connect the wires.
One idea is to follow exactely the same way wich is used to connect the OEM door lining illumination kit, and I would try to connect the wires of your harness to the black and the brown wires of the 13-pin front left door switch buttons panel connector of the car, using quick splice wire connectors like this (you can find them on Amazon).
Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits 5BB3B956-2C11-4139-996B-AE70281E99CA

The OEM Honda installing instructions for the door lining illumination kit, you can find them here :
https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/08E20TEA600A.pdf
Or more precisely, like in this picture :
Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits EC608A3E-1621-4D4C-8A01-34A1AF8AC8EA

I gave you this advise, (and I tried my best) to try to connect your wires to the left front door 13-pin connector, because my door illumination kit doesn’t dim like the footwell lights, and I presume that if you will connect the wires here, your footwell lights will stay lighted up, even after you will start the engine. Your issue can be eventually caused by the dimming function (but I am not sure, it’s just an idea).
I found this review photo on the Internet, about the same illumination kit like yours and the wires of the harness are connected in the same way you did. It seems to works fine. Really I don’t know why you have this issue.
Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits 66C6CFED-CE05-4BA4-A243-F6101D34B343

I noticed that the number of the wires are different between your aftermarket harness and the OEM Honda one.
You have only two wires- red for positive and black for negative.
The OEM Honda footwell lights harness have three wires (red- for positive, gray-for negative and PURPLE) like in the photo of my car (the footwell lights 6-pin connector is above the 2A step illum. fuse) :
Honda Civic 10th gen Questions on interior lighting kits 72A8FDCB-C2A9-4BCC-A73F-62CB26481A1A

I don’t know the purpose of the third wire (the purple one), but it could be very important for the lighting functionality.
Overall, I would not install this aftermarket illumination kit in my car, because it can be dangerous for the safety of the car electrical system since it doesn’t have any protection for shorts (the OEM illumination kits are all protected by 2A fuses).
Anyway, I wish you to succed and please don’t forget to keep us updated with your progress.
Good luck, mate.

Last edited: