GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I have a 2021 Civic Type R Boost Blue, as you know it comes with 20s I got a small screw in my tire and got it patched, while it was off the rim I realized how small of a tire it really is. I wanted to do a step down to some 18s to get it a little lower and have a little bit more meat on the tire if you will. I have never shopped rims and tires and not sure what can fit on this car. Could some one help me out and lmk what tire sizes can fit, what depth, and width I can run.

I have done some research online, and from what I have seen is the lowest I can go is 18s which is what I want anyways but I'm not 100%.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
theres a handful of different combinations you can go with, but one of the most common for 18s are 265-35-18 or 255-35-18. I have both, am lowered, and dont get any rubbing. Ive seen other people opt for a 255-40-18 for bigger sidewall as well.

Other people who have a bit more work done can get away with 275+ in some cases.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
For stock suspension, max you can get to work is 275 (rub or not depends on which tire, but I got a Nitto Nt01 working just fine). Lowered need to adjust camber if going 275. 255-265 doesn't rub

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R Sonic Pearl Grey R-43285
Country flag
I'm on stock suspension right now. Running 18's 18x8.5 +35 on 245/40r18. No issues.
Also the Boost Blue is not Limited Edition hope the dealership didn't tell you that. There's already over 1000 Boost Blue's available/sold from 2020/2021. The Civic Type R Limited Edition is Phoenix Yellow, and only has 600 w/ special tags that says US-001 - US-600

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
245/40r18 is closest to the original rolling diameter. Use this for 18x8.5" size wheels.

Opt for 255/40 or 265/35 if you want more width. Both are within 1-2% of OE rolling diameter. Use these for 9"-10" wide wheels.

OP
OP
GhostRider13506

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
ok so from what y'all are saying it seems like a 35 255 - 265 18x5 is perfect so. As for the limited edition thing I the dealer didn't tell me that in my city there are 2 and I have one. The dealers only seem to have red, white and black. But back to rims n tires lol. Do you guys know of any good online retailers? or are you getting yours from a place like discount? Discount here in my state is saying they can get them for me but I'm not sure about it. I kinda want to hear yalls thoughts on it.

Jpembry

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
Tirerack.com is a great starting point for someone with your level of knowledge. It will give you hundreds of options that are guaranteed to fit your specific car. Also has a Visualizer tool so you can see what they will look like.

OP
OP
GhostRider13506

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Tirerack.com is a great starting point for someone with your level of knowledge. It will give you hundreds of options that are guaranteed to fit your specific car. Also has a Visualizer tool so you can see what they will look like.
Thank You much I will look at it right now

EDIT: On tirerack.com I found some I want with 245/40ZR18 97Y XL tires but the question is performance wise I read that the Contental's out perform Michelin's from what I know on my old Integra GSR I had Michelin's and on my motorcycle as well because they are supposed to be best tire's in the world. Have yall heard this or what are your opinions on brand? does it matter?

Last edited:

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ok so from what y'all are saying it seems like a 35 255 - 265 18x5 is perfect so. As for the limited edition thing I the dealer didn't tell me that in my city there are 2 and I have one. The dealers only seem to have red, white and black. But back to rims n tires lol. Do you guys know of any good online retailers? or are you getting yours from a place like discount? Discount here in my state is saying they can get them for me but I'm not sure about it. I kinda want to hear yalls thoughts on it.
I hope the 18x5 was a typo lmao. Those be some thin ass wheels on the type-r
18x8.5 to about 9-9.5 should be fine on stock suspension.
Check out like other says tire rack , or fitment industries. Offset around +35 to +30 will make it look flush. Offset is how much the tire pokes out. If you look from the side your fender line + your wheels look tucked in. If you want it to look more to the fender line get lower offset. Higher the number the more tucked it goes. Lower the number the more it pokes out. You can get +10 or -5 offset those poke out A LOT.

245(this is the width of the tire in MM)/40(this is the thickness of the tire)R18(this is how big the rim is 18 inches etc. so you'll see tires do 245/40r18. most people run 245's for 8.5 width. 250-255 for 9/9.5. If you're into stretching tire looks then you go down on width.

NExt thing you want to test is clearance. The big brakes are gonna make fitment hard. If you find a wheel you really like. You might need spacers. So if you have like +40 wheels and they don't fit? get spacers that are like +10 and it might clear the brakes.

I'm running Motegi Track Lite 3.0 from TireRack on my Type-R. Those will clear the brakes. You'll have to test or do research on which ones will fit and will not fit.

Also helps to know the bolt pattern for Type-R it's 5x120. There 5x114.3 and 5x100. You'll need 5x120.
You can get a hub conversion from 5x120 to 5x114.3 theres more wheel options in 5x.114.3 but this requires a torque wrench and etc.

Tire rack had the set of wheels I wanted, but their selection depending on your taste for wheels IMO is kinda crap for the Type-R 5x120 18x8.5 18x9 selection. If you end up not liking anything, your best bet is to look by other wheels. You can also find a set you really like and search if they make them in 5x120 and around +40/+35/+30 offset.

Jpembry

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag

EDIT: On tirerack.com I found some I want with 245/40ZR18 97Y XL tires but the question is performance wise I read that the Contental's out perform Michelin's from what I know on my old Integra GSR I had Michelin's and on my motorcycle as well because they are supposed to be best tire's in the world. Have yall heard this or what are your opinions on brand? does it matter?
Michelin PS4S is widely regarded as the best street performance tire on the market. It does everything well.

OP
OP
GhostRider13506

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I hope the 18x5 was a typo lmao. Those be some thin ass wheels on the type-r
18x8.5 to about 9-9.5 should be fine on stock suspension.
Check out like other says tire rack , or fitment industries. Offset around +35 to +30 will make it look flush. Offset is how much the tire pokes out. If you look from the side your fender line + your wheels look tucked in. If you want it to look more to the fender line get lower offset. Higher the number the more tucked it goes. Lower the number the more it pokes out. You can get +10 or -5 offset those poke out A LOT.

245(this is the width of the tire in MM)/40(this is the thickness of the tire)R18(this is how big the rim is 18 inches etc. so you'll see tires do 245/40r18. most people run 245's for 8.5 width. 250-255 for 9/9.5. If you're into stretching tire looks then you go down on width.

NExt thing you want to test is clearance. The big brakes are gonna make fitment hard. If you find a wheel you really like. You might need spacers. So if you have like +40 wheels and they don't fit? get spacers that are like +10 and it might clear the brakes.

I'm running Motegi Track Lite 3.0 from TireRack on my Type-R. Those will clear the brakes. You'll have to test or do research on which ones will fit and will not fit.

Also helps to know the bolt pattern for Type-R it's 5x120. There 5x114.3 and 5x100. You'll need 5x120.
You can get a hub conversion from 5x120 to 5x114.3 theres more wheel options in 5x.114.3 but this requires a torque wrench and etc.

Tire rack had the set of wheels I wanted, but their selection depending on your taste for wheels IMO is kinda crap for the Type-R 5x120 18x8.5 18x9 selection. If you end up not liking anything, your best bet is to look by other wheels. You can also find a set you really like and search if they make them in 5x120 and around +40/+35/+30 offset.
It was a type o yes my keyboard is a little wonky being I have had it a very very long time, anyways the Motegi Track Lite, not sure if they are 3.0s on tire rack are the same ones in black that I am looking at and I am doing the 18s on a Michelin 245/40ZR18 97Y XL tire thanks to all of you guys and
Jpembry for the help about the Contintals and the Michelin's and the information.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag

You need to check the traction and threadwear rating.

BigTex55

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have nsx 19” super alloys that I had powder coated black love them wrapped in P245/35R19 Michelin super sports the stock set up is awful

Dream3r

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It was a type o yes my keyboard is a little wonky being I have had it a very very long time, anyways the Motegi Track Lite, not sure if they are 3.0s on tire rack are the same ones in black that I am looking at and I am doing the 18s on a Michelin 245/40ZR18 97Y XL tire thanks to all of you guys and
Jpembry for the help about the Contintals and the Michelin's and the information.
Yup that’s what I’m running, but I’m on the bronze. Perfect fitment and good look wheels

OP
OP
GhostRider13506

GhostRider13506

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Yup that’s what I’m running, but I’m on the bronze. Perfect fitment and good look wheels
That's awesome and your gonna laugh but I put them on my Type R in Forza and although it is a game they do look sick on my boost blue in black. Now something that I'm wondering is can I change the Motegi cap out for a different one?
Sponsored