First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Hey guys!

I just had a few questions I wanted to ask before ordering! Since I'm still pretty new to modding.

1. If I bought and installed only the intake hose, would the difference between that and the whole kit (hose+filter) be that big?

2. I've heard people say that the oiled filter can mess up the MAF sensor, could you guys elaborate on that?

Thanks!
Sponsored

CPA1989

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can’t really answer question number one, as I have no firsthand experience with the Stage 1. My secondhand information from a post made by PRL some time ago seems to indicate that the whole Stage 1 setup won’t give any significant gains over stock and is more for engine bay bling.

As far as oiled filters go, don’t over oil the filter and you won’t have MAF problems. When too much oil is applied, supposedly the excess oil will be sucked into the intake and may cause the MAF sensor some problems. K&N did a test on this by submerging a MAF sensor in their filter oil, and it worked fine afterwards. But of course K&N’s test would show that it’s fine since they peddle in those wares. I would say it’s probably more urban legend than anything else, with a basis in some truth. Personally, I don’t want to risk it screwing with the MAF at all, so I run a dry performance filter, so oil isn’t a concern. AEM and AFE both make great choices if you want dry filters.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I run a PRL intake hose with an aFe Pro Dry S filter. It gives me a slight uptick in throttle response, slightly better highway mpg and slightly more sound at WOT.

Notice I said "slight" on everything I mentioned. The difference between this and stock is minimal but there is an improvement.

For $90, it's a simple, safe mod. As was mentioned earlier, it also adds some bling.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
didn't notice any performance(between 3-5hp) or fuel economy gains but there is a bit of sound and if you drive in urban areas and your boost is over 15 or 16 psi you'll hear the turbo wooshing and a little bit of the blowoff when you release the throttle. If you're looking for performance look somewhere else like a CAI or the 27 WON intake.

OP
OP
FK7_Dylan

FK7_Dylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
didn't notice any performance(between 3-5hp) or fuel economy gains but there is a bit of sound and if you drive in urban areas and your boost is over 15 or 16 psi you'll hear the turbo wooshing and a little bit of the blowoff when you release the throttle. If you're looking for performance look somewhere else like a CAI or the 27 WON intake.
Are you running the PRL filter?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
no, I don't like oiled filters on fuel injected engines for the reasons listed above. Even if it rarely happens I'd rather not take the chance to break a 3-500$ sensor just because I don't use the right filter. I'm running an AEM filter. I just bought the tube from PRL and the filter separate from amazon.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I ran the intake tube and a different filter for a day. i personally didn’t like the fitment of the tube and went back to stock. But I am still running the aftermarket filter. I have the oiled PRL filter set aside for now.

Testudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch exl
Country flag
no, I don't like oiled filters on fuel injected engines for the reasons listed above. Even if it rarely happens I'd rather not take the chance to break a 3-500$ sensor just because I don't use the right filter. I'm running an AEM filter. I just bought the tube from PRL and the filter separate from amazon.
interested in this set up. How did it work out for you?
Sponsored