First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Hello,

I am just posting this out of curiosity as I recently discovered that Shell premium in Canada has 0% ethanol. Here in US everything has 10% ethanol. Just wondering if anyone has experience with that.
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Almost all Premium Top Tier gas in Canada is ethanol free. With the exception of PetroCan Ultra 94 which has 10%. https://www.pure-gas.org/

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I pretty much exclusively run Shell or Esso 91 ethanol free

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think some Mobil 1 stations have up to 10% ethanol but I think that’s older stations. Majority I see have 0 ethanol. I usually fill up at top tier or I use Ultra 94 from Petro Canada.

OP
OP
fabrizzio71

fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. I wonder from a tuning perspective how this effects things; specifically how off the shelf tunes respond. Ethanol is good because of the high knock resistance(high octane), and the significant cooling effect in the cylinder, but worse due to water absorption/separation and less power per liter (lower efficiency).

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
High octane is less volatile than lower octane which is why if you use 85 in turbo vehicles you get pre-detonation (ie knock).

boibuddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From a racing stand point, TSP1 Map 2 and 3 both netted me a 14.9 in the 1/4 mile (using ethanol-free Chevron 94).

Map 2 (21 lbs) did not raise K.Con. a single point during any of my runs; Map 3 (24.5 lbs) jumped at least 20 points each run, pulling back timing and reducing my power. I would be interested to see what my K.Con. numbers would be now that I make an E10 blend.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
High octane is less volatile than lower octane which is why if you use 85 in turbo vehicles you get pre-detonation (ie knock).
There is no relationship between octane and volatiltity. Gasolines, regardless of octane, are blended to fit in a specific regulated by law range of vapor pressures, slightly lower for the summer, higher for the winter.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Since July 2017, I drive with Petrocan 94 in my
modified SI, Hondata +9,.....and I never had
any problem.
A reasonable percentage of ethanol is good
for the engine.
Same here Petro is the best there , most time 0.49 and when I'm approching 40% to oil change , knock is moving much . So I always do my oil change at 40% because I'm tunned. On very hard drive only getting 0.51-0.55 and rarely above .60
ktuned on tsp stage 1 map 3
27won rmm
27won intake

Last edited:

vieux georges

First Name
georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017civic si coupe
Country flag
It's true that, when driving 94, it's better to change
oil more often, especially in winter because of
condensation of water in oil.
For my part, I change the oil at 5K km in winter
and 6K km in summer.
It's better to spend a little oil and save an engine.

Hajidub

Honda driver, vintage stereo enthusiast
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic YES
Country flag
There is no relationship between octane and volatiltity. Gasolines, regardless of octane, are blended to fit in a specific regulated by law range of vapor pressures, slightly lower for the summer, higher for the winter.
Predetonation defines volatility. The AK of gasoline is determined by octane, which means lower octane fuel pre-detonates in a forced inducted motor. Ethanol in gas raises the octane level, ethanol is normally rated at 100+ octane.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

3rd paragraph.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I switched to Petro 94 almost exclusively as I noticed smoother engine operation, versus previously using Shell 91. Also on the Hondata +9 tune with full bolt ons for reference.

Knock is always steady on Hondata at 0.54. Fuel trims are within +/- 5 as well - see below Screenshot from Hondata app. Ambient Temp at the time was around 26 so IAT although hot is correct. Also just noticed my sensor for torque seemed to be offline at the time of the Screenshot.

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions about gas differences for those in Canada Screenshot_20200704_231918_com.sasanian.hondata_mobile

If anyone is on the fence about spending the $10 or so, don't be and buy this app. I was an early adopter when it was a third-party app by a developer, and loved how much better it was than Hondata's own app. Hondata has since hired the guy, or paid him out as it's now their official app :)

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I agree, tuned PetroCan Ultra 94 is the best. Stock? Shell V-Power 91.

I wish some of the other stations would offer at least 93. The only one I have seen is UPI xtreme 93 in my area.
Sponsored