Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can explain the smog manual. Indeed, the 2017 smog manual does say that intercoolers for gasoline cars do not need CARB EO inspection for a stock turbo, however, the intercooler piping IS subject to CARB EO. It's also 100% up to the technician. If you had a CARB EO intercooler there would be no questions asked. Look at this post from a smog tech:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/tips-for-passing-smog-in-california-im-a-smog-tech.270909/
This was really interesting, but the discussion in that link is 12+ years old. ??ā€ā™‚

Anywho, Greddy had their intercooler CARB EOd, but not sure if itā€™s totally necessary. Mishi doesnā€™t say theirs is for ā€˜off-road use onlyā€™; Iā€™ve reached out to them, and will report back with anything I hear.
Sponsored

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
This was really interesting, but the discussion in that link is 12+ years old. ??ā€ā™‚

Anywho, Greddy had their intercooler CARB EOd, but not sure if itā€™s totally necessary. Mishi doesnā€™t say theirs is for ā€˜off-road use onlyā€™; Iā€™ve reached out to them, and will report back with anything I hear.
Let us know! I think also regardless of the details of the smog regulations, I get the sense from the majority of smog techs that "if its aftermarket, it needs a CARB EO" so you are better off having that than having to argue with the smog tech being like "actually ...."

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Let us know! I think also regardless of the details of the smog regulations, I get the sense from the majority of smog techs that "if its aftermarket, it needs a CARB EO" so you are better off having that than having to argue with the smog tech being like "actually ...."
Right, I would agree with you, RE emission-related equipment (not catback exhausts and whatnot). Will do!

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Right, I would agree with you, RE emission-related equipment (not catback exhausts and whatnot). Will do!
UPDATE: Mishi said their intercooler is not yet CARB EOd. ?

j__d__a

First Name
jake d allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Bringing this thread back, hoping PRL comes out with some Carb approved stuff soon

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Bringing this thread back, hoping PRL comes out with some Carb approved stuff soon
I dunno but Iā€™m in San Diego now and need to pass smog haha, put the stock intake on yesterday

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Nice!! So just stock intake right? The intercooler and IC piping was PRL right?
yep, I put the stock intake back on and I was good to go. The guy who checked it out took his time looking through the bay and confirmed the intercooler was fine. I have the 27won intercooler so itā€™s blatantly aftermarket due to the logo. He didnā€™t say anything about the PRL pipes.

j__d__a

First Name
jake d allison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yep, I put the stock intake back on and I was good to go. The guy who checked it out took his time looking through the bay and confirmed the intercooler was fine. I have the 27won intercooler so itā€™s blatantly aftermarket due to the logo. He didnā€™t say anything about the PRL pipes.
Awesome man congrats! Im still a few years out and for me I'll have to revert my catless dp and take off cai, but Im located in OC so I may just venture down there, sounds like a decent place ?

CloudHopper14

First Name
Rei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just read through all this. SoCal here, too and saw the 5 years til SMOG test. Starting Jan 1, 2019, any car less than 4 model years, the new law is an abatement fee for the first 8 years of ownership. Pretty nifty for trying to stay modded in CA.

DMV CA SMOG Info

Also welcome to SD! I bounce back and forth SD and Orange County.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And most importantly for you, the 6 years or less smog exemption only applies to vehicles already registered in california. Since you bought your car in maryland you will have to register your car within 20 days of moving here, including smog.
https://www.californiacartags.com/register-cars-from-out-of-sta

Its not just Greddy. If you go to the search and select "intercooler" as your category you will see all the manufacturers who have gotten carb EO's for their products.
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Youll see greddy, mishimoto, HKS etc. all there. They wouldn't go through this process, and the CARB wouldn't grant them EO's if it wasn't required.
Dude, then Mishi is CARB Exempt! Am I missing something? I feel like Iā€™m missing something because they arenā€™t broadcasting this. Imma email them to see whatā€™s up. This was just certified earlier this month, so, Iā€™ll bet they havenā€™t gotten around to it yet.

EO: D-759-12 View PDF
EO Date: 2021-09-03
Manufacturer Name: Mishimoto Automotive
Device: Performance Intercooler, Performance Intercooler Kit, and Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit
Device Type: Intercooler System
Part_Number:Model_Specification:Modification_Allowed:Remarks:
MMICP-CIV-16WBK, MMICP-CIV-16WRD 2016-2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo, 2017-2020 Honda Civic SI 1.5L turbo Has to be installed with Performance Intercooler. Not compatible with stock intercooler. Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit. BK=black pipes, RD=red pipes
MMINT-CIV-16KBKWBK, MMINT-CIV-16KBKWRD, MMINT-CIV-16KSLWBK, MMINT-CIV-16KSLWRD 2016-2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo, 2017-2020 Honda Civic SI 1.5L turbo This kit includes Performance Intercooler and Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit Performance Intercooler Kit. BKWBK=black intercooler/black pipes, BKWRD=black intercooler/red pipes, SLWBK=silver intercooler/black pipes, SLWRD=silver intercooler/red pipes
MMINT-CIV-16SL, MMINT-CIV-16BK 2016-2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo, 2017-2020 Honda Civic SI 1.5L turbo Can be installed with stock charge pipes or Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit. Performance Intercooler. SL=silver intercooler, BK=black intercooler.
MMINT-CTR-17KBKWBK, MMINT-CTR-17KBKWRD, MMINT-CTR-17KSLWBK, MMINT-CTR-17KSLWRD

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dude, then Mishi is CARB Exempt! Am I missing something? I feel like Iā€™m missing something because they arenā€™t broadcasting this. Imma email them to see whatā€™s up. This was just certified earlier this month, so, Iā€™ll bet they havenā€™t gotten around to it yet.

EO: D-759-12 View PDF
EO Date: 2021-09-03
Manufacturer Name: Mishimoto Automotive
Device: Performance Intercooler, Performance Intercooler Kit, and Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit
Device Type: Intercooler System
Part_Number:Model_Specification:Modification_Allowed:Remarks:
MMICP-CIV-16WBK, MMICP-CIV-16WRD2016-2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo, 2017-2020 Honda Civic SI 1.5L turboHas to be installed with Performance Intercooler. Not compatible with stock intercooler.Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit. BK=black pipes, RD=red pipes
MMINT-CIV-16KBKWBK, MMINT-CIV-16KBKWRD, MMINT-CIV-16KSLWBK, MMINT-CIV-16KSLWRD2016-2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo, 2017-2020 Honda Civic SI 1.5L turboThis kit includes Performance Intercooler and Performance Intercooler Pipe KitPerformance Intercooler Kit. BKWBK=black intercooler/black pipes, BKWRD=black intercooler/red pipes, SLWBK=silver intercooler/black pipes, SLWRD=silver intercooler/red pipes
MMINT-CIV-16SL, MMINT-CIV-16BK2016-2021 Honda Civic 1.5L turbo, 2017-2020 Honda Civic SI 1.5L turboCan be installed with stock charge pipes or Performance Intercooler Pipe Kit.Performance Intercooler. SL=silver intercooler, BK=black intercooler.
MMINT-CTR-17KBKWBK, MMINT-CTR-17KBKWRD, MMINT-CTR-17KSLWBK, MMINT-CTR-17KSLWRD
If that's true I'm even happier that I went with the mishimoto intercooler with pipes a couple years ago. Wonder if they can provide me with an EO decal for the setup.... Or at least I can keep the paperwork in my glovebox.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If that's true I'm even happier that I went with the mishimoto intercooler with pipes a couple years ago. Wonder if they can provide me with an EO decal for the setup.... Or at least I can keep the paperwork in my glovebox.
Right?! I dont know why thatā€™d be false, unless Iā€™m misreading something. Iā€™ll let everyone know what they say.
Sponsored