First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Lifelong CA resident.

Tint is not really enforced in CA. If you sit at a busy intersection you can see how many cars have tints. Just dont have a limo tint all around. I have a limo on the back windows, 20% on the front, and 70% on the windshield. If guess if you get pulled over people have been dinged for it but ive been pulled over with a tint and also not been hassled about it. I really wouldn't worry about it

SMOG. This is the big one! New car you have 5 years until smog, after that every 2 years. Smog will be an onboard computer + visual inspection. If you do not have CARB EO parts you will fail. You may find some place that will pass you for cash but you do run the risk of a spot check by a police officer if he asks you to pop the hood. Every mod related to intake and exhaust system up to the catalytic converter MUST HAVE A CARB EO. As of today, these are the only CARB legal mods for the type R (and I think the Si too)

These things will make you fail visual in CA
  • Oil catch can
  • Turbo Tube (none currently have a CARB EO)
  • High Flow Cat
  • Catless downpipe
  • turbo upgrade
  • Any other intake or intercooler that is not included above
Exhaust needs to be below 95dB
Can you offer some insight here, I took this clip from the SMOG manual. It says the intercooler does not need an EO verification.

I guess I’m just looking for an official document that says the intercooler is illegal

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions About California Laws 81AB60E6-4743-4192-BA14-21230DB06D73
Sponsored

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
More info please! @PRL Motorsports ?
Can you offer some insight here, I took this clip from the SMOG manual. It says the intercooler does not need an EO verification.

I guess I’m just looking for an official document that says the intercooler is illegal

81AB60E6-4743-4192-BA14-21230DB06D73.jpeg
Here is the CARB EO for the greddy intercooler for type R/Si: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-397-12.pdf

It references this guidance written by the CARB:
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/vc27156procedures.pdf
See Appendix 1-1 for all parts that are considered "emissions related parts". Page 26

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Here is the CARB EO for the greddy intercooler for type R/Si: https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/d-397-12.pdf

It references this guidance written by the CARB:
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/vc27156procedures.pdf
See Appendix 1-1 for all parts that are considered "emissions related parts". Page 26
damn, now I’m really confused. I see what you’re saying that Greddy went through The trouble of getting the CARB EO certification for their intercooler, but I don’t understand what the SMOG manual is getting at in the clip I posted then

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
damn, now I’m really confused. I see what you’re saying that Greddy went through The trouble of getting the CARB EO certification for their intercooler, but I don’t understand what the SMOG manual is getting at in the clip I posted then
And most importantly for you, the 6 years or less smog exemption only applies to vehicles already registered in california. Since you bought your car in maryland you will have to register your car within 20 days of moving here, including smog.
https://www.californiacartags.com/register-cars-from-out-of-sta

Its not just Greddy. If you go to the search and select "intercooler" as your category you will see all the manufacturers who have gotten carb EO's for their products.
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/amquery.php

Youll see greddy, mishimoto, HKS etc. all there. They wouldn't go through this process, and the CARB wouldn't grant them EO's if it wasn't required.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
I can explain the smog manual. Indeed, the 2017 smog manual does say that intercoolers for gasoline cars do not need CARB EO inspection for a stock turbo, however, the intercooler piping IS subject to CARB EO. It's also 100% up to the technician. If you had a CARB EO intercooler there would be no questions asked. Look at this post from a smog tech:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/tips-for-passing-smog-in-california-im-a-smog-tech.270909/

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I think I stumbled upon that a few weeks ago, it looks very familiar. That post essentially says aftermarket FMIC on stock turbo is all square, which is my setup.

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
I think I stumbled upon that a few weeks ago, it looks very familiar. That post essentially says aftermarket FMIC on stock turbo is all square, which is my setup.
Do you have the stock intercooler piping or PRL's? (https://prlmotorsports.com/2017civictyper20TUpgradedIntercoolerPiping.aspx) If its PRL's its a fail. It would only technically be a pass if you had ONLY the PRL intercooler itself.

If I were you, I would put the stock intake on and just try to pass. Hopefully you get a tech that doesn't care. If you get one that gives you crap for it just jump smog places until you find one that will pass you lol.

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Do you have the stock intercooler piping or PRL's? (https://prlmotorsports.com/2017civictyper20TUpgradedIntercoolerPiping.aspx) If its PRL's its a fail. It would only technically be a pass if you had ONLY the PRL intercooler itself.

If I were you, I would put the stock intake on and just try to pass. Hopefully you get a tech that doesn't care. If you get one that gives you crap for it just jump smog places until you find one that will pass you lol.
definitely going to swap the intake back to stock, that’s fine, it’s easy enough. Intercooler is not as quick to change out so I’m hoping that plays out.

Last edited:

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
definitely going to swap the intake back to stock, that’s fine, it’s easy enough. Intercooler is not as quick to change out so I’m hoping that plays out. I have PRL piping but there is absolutely no way to tell it’s aftermarket, everything is black and the only logo you can see is on the throttle body coupler which can easily be covered with electric tape
Ok so I went through a car wash yesterday and there was a smog next to it. While I was waiting for my car I went and talked to the smog tech. I asked him "do I need a CARB EO for my intercooler" and he said "ANYTHING aftermarket you need a CARB EO. AND I need to look up the CARB EO and check that it's valid for your specific year and model" (ie Si CARB EO not valid for type R). Since you're already married to the PRL intercooler you may need to shop/ask around for a smog shop that will "look the other way"

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Ok so I went through a car wash yesterday and there was a smog next to it. While I was waiting for my car I went and talked to the smog tech. I asked him "do I need a CARB EO for my intercooler" and he said "ANYTHING aftermarket you need a CARB EO. AND I need to look up the CARB EO and check that it's valid for your specific year and model" (ie Si CARB EO not valid for type R). Since you're already married to the PRL intercooler you may need to shop/ask around for a smog shop that will "look the other way"
to me that honestly sounds like their policy is “most things are illegal as it is, so if there is no sticker, we fail it regardless of what it is”

Everytime I think I understand what I’m reading in the SMOG manual and what various forums say about intercoolers in CA, some other story comes up. Half say intercooler doesn’t matter, half do. It seems like it really comes down to the shop. Maybe there is a newer SMOG manual that is more recent than the 2017 one, idk, but I’m just going to put the OEM intake on and go get the SMOG

Last edited:

blayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 FL5, 2020 CTR (RIP)
Country flag
to me that honestly sounds like their policy is “most things are illegal as it is, so if there is no sticker, we fail it regardless of what it is”

Everytime I think I understand what I’m reading in the SMOG manual and what various forums say about intercoolers in CA, some other story comes up. Half say intercooler doesn’t matter, half do. It seems like it really comes down to the shop. Maybe there is a newer SMOG manual that is more recent than the 2017 one, idk, but I’m just going to put the OEM intake on and go get the SMOG
I did speak to someone I know who knows a place that will pass you for cash. However the only catch is that you can't have failed smog previously. Meaning you would have to go there first instead of trying to "pass legally". I would assume all smog places are like that

You also still technically run the risk of an officer asking you to pop your hood and asking about that but that is relatively rare. Unless you're like street racing or your exhaust is particularly loud and heinous I wouldnt really worry about that. I've only been through a CHP mobile smog checkpoint once in my life.

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
do not switch to california plates and reg. Stick to your home of address if you really want to do whatever with your car. I bought my civic in cali but im about to go out of state only because i want to run catless DP, straight pipe exhaust or hood exhaust
Sponsored