Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I am moving to San Diego in about 6 weeks for work and I am trying to get an idea of what mods are going to cause headaches for me. I have an intercooler, catback exhaust and an intake. I also have 25% tint on everything but the front windshield.

I have done a bit of reading and I’m pretty sure the intake is an issue because it’s a PRL intake and it’s not CARB certified. I also think the tint is going to be a problem.

I am trying to condense my belongings to fit into my hatch and I don’t want to bring my OEM intake with me, so I’m trying to figure out if California has mandatory inspections and how quickly I would have to get one after moving there.

Also, how strictly is tint darkness enforced? Any real world experience about dealing with modifications and local laws would be appreciated
Sponsored

Tsong

First Name
Timmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic type r
Country flag
California resident here. Exhaust, Tint, and no front license plate is the biggest concern. If your exhaust is just slightly loud, you can get pulled over and they can have you pop the hood and check your intake for a carb sticker. The same goes with tint. It definitely kills a lot of the fun of car modding here. Hope that helps, but regardless enjoy the weather here :)

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
California resident here. Exhaust, Tint, and no front license plate is the biggest concern. If your exhaust is just slightly loud, you can get pulled over and they can have you pop the hood and check your intake for a carb sticker. The same goes with tint. It definitely kills a lot of the fun of car modding here. Hope that helps, but regardless enjoy the weather here :)
I have a stock downpipe so the emissions should be fine. Does anybody in the state have experience with the AWE touring exhaust? Is that considered too loud?

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
The above is correct. As far as tint enforcement goes, it’s hit or miss. All my buddies have limo tint and have never been pulled over. On the other hand, a family member tinted their Mercedes and got a ticket the very next day. The same goes for exhausts. A lot of my buddies have v8’s with exhausts, headers, etc, and some haven’t been pulled over while others have. They still have after market exhausts though.

Frantic_FK8

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, 240sx
Country flag
I am located in the north SD county. I think it depends on the area, cop and how you drive as well. I have an FK8 and pretty modified 240sx but haven’t been pulled over in either of them (pictures below). I have been pulled over for exhaust and other things in other cars but I was usually driving like an idiot.

Good luck with the move!

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions About California Laws 7F6E981B-9886-4097-AC0D-7C40D5DD3895

Honda Civic 10th gen Questions About California Laws 399927D3-427B-421B-AFA9-BC856C5627A7

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I think it depends on the area, cop and how you drive as well. I have an FK8 and pretty modified 240sx but haven’t been pulled over in either of them (pictures below). I have been pulled over for exhaust and other things in other cars but I was usually driving like an idiot.

Good luck with the move!

7F6E981B-9886-4097-AC0D-7C40D5DD3895.jpeg

399927D3-427B-421B-AFA9-BC856C5627A7.jpeg
that makes sense, kind of the same in Baltimore. I’ve never been pulled over for tint

that 240 looks so good, nice build. My buddy has one that he got from somebody at his office, 65 year old woman, bone stock with 60k miles. She drove it a few miles each way to work

Frantic_FK8

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, 240sx
Country flag
Thanks man!

That sounds awesome. I got this one in a similar situation haha

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
It depends where you are, etc. I lived in NorCal for 18 years but it was prior to noise regs really being enforced (it was the Fart Can and Whistle Tips era). If you aren't WFO the Touring system is pretty mellow.

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
It depends where you are, etc. I lived in NorCal for 18 years but it was prior to noise regs really being enforced (it was the Fart Can and Whistle Tips era). If you aren't WFO the Touring system is pretty mellow.
makes sense. I obviously hope to take advantage of canyon cruises but while I’m in the city I’m not going to drive like a maniac

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Is this a permanent move or temporary?
My soon to be brother-in-law uses his Wisconsin residency as a workaround for having his modified cars in California. Cars registration and his DL remain issued by WI, so he tells me California CARB and registration laws don't apply.
Could be complete BS, money isn't an issue to him, so who knows. Might be something worth looking into.

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I’m also t
Is this a permanent move or temporary?
My soon to be brother-in-law uses his Wisconsin residency as a workaround for having his modified cars in California. Cars registration and his DL remain issued by WI, so he tells me California CARB and registration laws don't apply.
Could be complete BS, money isn't an issue to him, so who knows. Might be something worth looking into.

I am probably going to be there for a few years, not sure how long I would be able to pull off that approach

OP
OP
Tev42

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
It's sketchy... the CHP is definitely on to that game.
Yeah I don’t think that approach would hold up for several years. As far as passing some sort of inspection, I don’t think the car would fail with a stock downpipe and the AWE touring exhaust. My brief research also suggests the intercooler will be fine. Sounds like I might have to put the OEM intake back on though.

First Name
Riley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport CVT
Country flag
San Diego resident here:
2020 Hatch Sport

Mods:
No front license plate, PRL CAI, Greddy Supreme SP Exhaust

My experience:
When it comes to tint, the front windows on your car are illegal, but I doubt you'll get popped for it. (70% max on fronts, no limit on rears)
Your exhaust should be FINE. If you run a cat back with a catless DP, then it will be pretty loud so you could have issues. But catback alone is quiet enough because of the turbo.

Intercooler and intake are illegal, but the Cobra CAI is in the process of getting CARB certified (according to PRL). I just installed mine and new cars don't have to be smogged for 5 years so hopefully it'll be legal by the time I smog it. The intercooler may not be an issue especially if you don't have the front of it stenciled.

I'd say given your mods you'd only get pulled over for traffic violations/possibly for your front tint, but thats a low probability
Sponsored

Last edited: