Question: why do hatches weight more than sedans.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport Touring Hatchback, 2016 EX-L Sensing Sedan
Country flag
Hello, I have owned a 2016 Civic sedan for a few years now. And I just bought a 2020 Civic hatchback. Like an idiot, I assumed the hatch would weigh less because it is several inches shorter. But then I looked up weights of the sedans and hatches each year since 2017 and compared trims. The hatches seem to always be more heavy in comparable trims than the sedans. Anyone know why?
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Hello, I have owned a 2016 Civic sedan for a few years now. And I just bought a 2020 Civic hatchback. Like an idiot, I assumed the hatch would weigh less because it is several inches shorter. But then I looked up weights of the sedans and hatches each year since 2017 and compared trims. The hatches seem to always be more heavy in comparable trims than the sedans. Anyone know why?
Sorry I don't have the answer for you but does it really matter? You seem upset.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry I don't have the answer for you but does it really matter? You seem upset.
No I'm not upset at all. I was just curious. I don't care what it weighs. I'm using it as a daily driver. I was just surprised the hatch weighs more than the sedan.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think generally speaking it's the weight of the extra structural support needed in the open hatch area compared to the sedan's more solid rear structure.

It's not just a Civic thing.

In addition to the weight, hatches are often less aerodynamic than a sedan which can mean slightly less fuel efficiency.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think generally speaking it's the weight of the extra structural support needed in the open hatch area compared to the sedan's more solid rear structure.

It's not just a Civic thing.

In addition to the weight, hatches are often less aerodynamic than a sedan which can mean slightly less fuel efficiency.
That makes sense. Thanks for the answer.
Sponsored