Question regarding warranty claims

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm curious what the community has had replaced on their CTRs when it comes to warranty claims.

I recently noticed my steering wheel has a faint amount of leather wear on it- it's visible under certain conditions only, but I'm sure it will get worse as time goes on.

When I had a 370z, I had a number of interior pieces replaced, no questions asked, due to paint chipping inside or leather wear, etc. I've heard from a friend that Honda would just say the steering wheel is "wear and tear" and if I want it replaced, I need to buy a new one.

Is this worth me even pursuing?
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm curious what the community has had replaced on their CTRs when it comes to warranty claims.

I recently noticed my steering wheel has a faint amount of leather wear on it- it's visible under certain conditions only, but I'm sure it will get worse as time goes on.

When I had a 370z, I had a number of interior pieces replaced, no questions asked, due to paint chipping inside or leather wear, etc. I've heard from a friend that Honda would just say the steering wheel is "wear and tear" and if I want it replaced, I need to buy a new one.

Same question honestly. My steering wheel has some wear on it too. Same with the leather knob...

OP
OP
CivilciviC

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Nissan replaced my leather shift knob, literally no questions asked. Service manager came out to the lot, took a look, said "yep" and next thing I knew, another was on order.

Maybe Nissan expects their parts to fail prematurely? Lol.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Nissan replaced my leather shift knob, literally no questions asked. Service manager came out to the lot, took a look, said "yep" and next thing I knew, another was on order.

Seems like Honda dealers are hit or miss with this kind of stuff... it's probably dealer dependent. But I'll probably inquire about it when I bring my car in soonish to address some issues.

I'm sure they are all acquainted with the early model Xtronic CVTs by now :)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

It doesn’t hurt to ask. When I had my steering wheel replaced, it was done as a good faith repair as Honda did consider it a wear item, so they technically didn’t need to replace it. It depends on the dealership though.

I have also gotten my seat replaced as well since it was beginning to tear. This was replaced without question. Both times same dealership.

OP
OP
CivilciviC

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
It doesn’t hurt to ask. When I had my steering wheel replaced, it was done as a good faith repair as Honda did consider it a wear item, so they technically didn’t need to replace it. It depends on the dealership though.

I have also gotten my seat replaced as well since it was beginning to tear. This was replaced without question. Both times same dealership.
Whoa, what caused your seatbelt to start wearing?! That's a wee bit worrisome!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Whoa, what caused your seatbelt to start wearing?! That's a wee bit worrisome!
Seat, not seatbelt. ? My car was actually one of the display vehicles for the Chicago autoshow, so that could explain a lot of the accelerated wear. Seat belts are fine though, that would be extremely worrisome.

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
I recently bought a 2018 with a descent amount of wear. My steering wheel is chaffing but honda considers it normal. My seat bolsters are worn and they agreed to replace the bottom portion. Gonna ask about my clutch pedal pad. Its missing 2 rivets and the pad is almost comming off

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Typically, warranty only covers "factory defects". Most of what the dealer will/will not cover is at our discretion or the DPSM. For example: the stitching coming apart on the steering wheel, we would typically cover that. You stabbed a hole in the seat, we would not. We really don't get paid for warranty repairs, so we do look at your service history with us and your overall "dickness" as a customer. Just being honest. If you have never spent a dime at the dealership, you tend to be lower on the list. A good customer who is understanding, we tend to cover things that may be questionable in order to take care of you back.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
the rear quarter window trim/weather seal was curling up and got it replaced with the updated part. Service advisor initially seemed to wave it off saying "all of them do that" but took it in.

Also had my drivers seat frame replaced when it wouldnt lower with weight in the seat.

Kolzig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2007 Civic SI 4-door
Country flag
My experience was on 2 different occasions.

1. Fender peeling off body - Took it in to the dealership and since there were very low miles and not body wear, they fixed it with no questions.

2. Panel above passenger headlight was bubbling - This one took a lot more work. Since it was not a piece of body that was panted as it was just a plastic piece, the dealership initially told me I did something to it to cause this to happen. I then took it to a body shop and had them do an assessment of the damage. As soon as they saw that the was nothing under the piece that would cause it to heat up, and there was no damage to the finish on the plastic piece, they said it was 100% a material defect. The dealership then hired that same body shop to replace the part under warranty.

Like mentioned above, it is going to vary drastically when it comes to dealerships and what they will try and do. I am guessing they have to charge less for warranty work when they bill Honda. This is the only rational thing I can think of when they push back on obvious warranty issues.

Just be persistent and confident. Don't be and ass, just assertive. This is the problem, this is what I expect, when can I pick it up?

whytfwontthiswork

First Name
s
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Country flag
the rear quarter window trim/weather seal was curling up and got it replaced with the updated part. Service advisor initially seemed to wave it off saying "all of them do that" but took it in.

Also had my drivers seat frame replaced when it wouldnt lower with weight in the seat.
I am actually experiencing the same seat issue. They said they will check it out when they replace my clutch pedal this week (posted above - pedal pad missing 2 rivets so they ordered me a new pedal)
Sponsored