Question: possible to update head unit firmware?

txenakis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Hi everyone,

I am about to purchase my first Civic. I got a really sweet deal on a brand new 2016 Civic Touring. I'm planning to go back to the dealer this weekend and close the deal but before I do so I wanted to ask something:

As far as i understand there are no major differences between the 2016 and the 2017 model, except the infotainment console runs a more recent firmware. Since I heard about reliability issues with the 2016 firmware, is it possible to update the firmware to the 2017 version? If so how would I do it?
Sponsored

WoLF2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Country flag
Be sure and ask them to update the infotainment center to the latest. Just tell them you have read about all the problems. And make sure they tint the windows for you and include it in the deal at their cost.

OP
OP

txenakis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Thanks. So it's a dealership thing? I cannot do it by myself?

WoLF2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2016
Country flag
I think they have to do it if I'm not mistaken. It's supposed to be able to get updates via wifi from your home, but I dunno if mine has ever actually done that.

OP
OP

txenakis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Ok great i will ask them. I hope they can update the firmware to the 2017 model one, and that it's not something that cannot be done unless you buy the new car...

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I think they have to do it if I'm not mistaken. It's supposed to be able to get updates via wifi from your home, but I dunno if mine has ever actually done that.
This is not true. There are NO WiFi update capabilities. It is currently a dealership task only

Although there are rumors that Honda is / was working on an update that was “doable” by the user.

FYI...I have a 2016 Touring. The firmware has not been updated since I got it in July 2016 (unfortunately) and as far as I know the 2017 firmware is not compatible with the 2016 model but if you find out differently I think we’d all like to know.

OP
OP

txenakis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Thanks good to know. I will def ask if the dealer can/is willing to update and will update accordingly.

OP
OP

txenakis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
Ok so just bought the Touring and I can confirm they would not update the head unit to the 2017 version firmware. If anyone finds how to do it or if a dealership is willing to do it pls let me know.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
does anyone know what the most current version is? (so we can check)

axif86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX w/HS
Country flag
I feel experiencing issues are well so it would be great to update this myself. Hope Honda comes out with something quick for user updates
Sponsored