Question on those who have replaced their steering wheel...

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
SO I recently installed the Buddy Club wheel - its awesome, but upon driving the car now, the wheel is slightly cocked to the left. When sitting still, the wheel looks fine/straight but not driving straight.

Best I can tell, I didnt goof the wheel install, so I guess my question is, to those who have had this issue, did you correct it by reinstalling the wheel again, or getting an alignment, or?
Sponsored

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
It sounds like you were one tooth off on the splines on re-install. Changing the steering wheel will not affect your actual alignment and you should not make any alignment changes based on the new steering wheel position.

I would pull it back off, move it one spline back to the right and see how it drives.

OP
OP
jetydosa

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Got it! Thanks!

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag
If that tooth adjustment tilts it off center the other way then no choice but to adjust tie rods/alignment. If your stock wheel was exactly straight before the swap then what speed said should fix it... should. Good luck

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
My car's oem steering wheel is slightly to the left as well. It has been that way since I bought it new in October of 2017. I told them I wanted it fixed and they said the car was out of alignment. After the realignment it was still the same as before.
I'm going to go back to the dealership next week. Do you guys think it'd be covered under warranty for them to fix it since it came that way from the factory?
How hard is it to take the steering wheel off to adjust it? I could try it myself if they refuse to help.

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
Both mine and my girlfriend's wheels are slightly to the left *shrug*

Seems like something to do with factory assembly/alignment.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
My wheel is slightly to the left as well, and even more pronounced with my winter wheels that were +35 Offset (I'm scrapping those and getting +45 for next winter...)

I've seen the comment from a lot of people on here that they have the same thing. It's annoying, but not problematic.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My wheel is slightly to the left as well, and even more pronounced with my winter wheels that were +35 Offset (I'm scrapping those and getting +45 for next winter...)

I've seen the comment from a lot of people on here that they have the same thing. It's annoying, but not problematic.
Right. It is highly annoying. I definitely think it should be fixed under warranty though. I don't think it'd be fair to spend around 40k total for a car and not have them fix an annoying offset steering wheel.

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Right. It is highly annoying. I definitely think it should be fixed under warranty though. I don't think it'd be fair to spend around 40k total for a car and not have them fix an annoying offset steering wheel.
That's the thing, I don't think anyone has had the dealer actually fix it, because I don't think it's as simple as taking the steering wheel off and placing it back on. I'd love to be contradicted with data, so I can go to the dealer with this, or fix it myself ;).

devillee0713

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI MK7 17'/ FK8 CTR 19'
Country flag
My car's oem steering wheel is slightly to the left as well. It has been that way since I bought it new in October of 2017. I told them I wanted it fixed and they said the car was out of alignment. After the realignment it was still the same as before.
I'm going to go back to the dealership next week. Do you guys think it'd be covered under warranty for them to fix it since it came that way from the factory?
How hard is it to take the steering wheel off to adjust it? I could try it myself if they refuse to help.
I have my GTI and replaced control arm last winter due to some noise, fortunately, covered by warranty. Then I found the same issue as you. For me, your situation is just a lack of alignment. But alignment can be tricky. I did my first alignment and I found my steering wheel is slightly to another direction afterward LMAO. So I have to visit the same store again and they did a better job at the second time.
If they say it just needs alignment, it is hard to make it covered under warranty since alignment is pretty normal maintenance job. But most alignment job has some kind of warranty like 1month/3 month, cuz they know it is quite possible they can't fix the alignment in the first try.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have my GTI and replaced control arm last winter due to some noise, fortunately, covered by warranty. Then I found the same issue as you. For me, your situation is just a lack of alignment. But alignment can be tricky. I did my first alignment and I found my steering wheel is slightly to another direction afterward LMAO. So I have to visit the same store again and they did a better job at the second time.
If they say it just needs alignment, it is hard to make it covered under warranty since alignment is pretty normal maintenance job. But most alignment job has some kind of warranty like 1month/3 month, cuz they know it is quite possible they can't fix the alignment in the first try.
They told me they thought it was out of alignment. I told them I didn't think it would fix the steering wheel issue but if they thought it would help then go ahead.
Well it didn't help. I'll try to see about getting it taken care of after the weekend.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's the thing, I don't think anyone has had the dealer actually fix it, because I don't think it's as simple as taking the steering wheel off and placing it back on. I'd love to be contradicted with data, so I can go to the dealer with this, or fix it myself ;).
If it gets corrected next week I'll let you know how they did it.

OP
OP
jetydosa

jetydosa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies. My wheel was straight before I swapped it but after closer inspection as mentioned, I had it off a spline or two when I put it back on. I should have marked the wheel/spline before taking the old one off.

As far alignments etc, mine is fine, but yes as part of alignment they can adjust the tie rods (I think?) and correct non-centered wheel as well.
Sponsored