Question on out of state Type R delivery and registration

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP CTR, 2010 Accord
Country flag
Hi all,

I am in what I believe is an uncommon situation and wanted to see if anyone had some input on this. I just recently purchased a 2020 Type R from a dealer in Mississippi on 8/6 and am having it shipped from Mississippi to California (Bay Area). Due to some logistics issues, I won't be receiving the car until next Thursday (9/17). I know that I will need to smog the car in order to have it registered and I do have a plan/location for that; however, the car is coming with five miles on the odometer and I know based on what I've been reading on the forums is that the car requires somewhere between 100-200 miles driven before it will successfully pass the smog.

My question for the forum is how long from purchase date am I allowed to drive an unregistered car around? Someone on the forum mentioned to me that California requires you to register the car within two weeks of delivery; however, the car was technically "delivered" to me when the purchased closed on 8/6 so it's been over a month. I just want to know the proper way to go about registering and whether or not I will run into any issues with the law if I drive around to get to that 100 mile mark.

Thanks!
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can't answer your question but I am curious about which dealer you purchased from. Hopefully someone here can help you out. Hope you enjoy the car.

OP
OP

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't answer your question but I am curious about which dealer you purchased from. Hopefully someone here can help you out. Hope you enjoy the car.
I purchased from Bob Boyte Honda in Brandon, MS. Unfortunately the dealership is not familiar with California laws and doesn't have an answer for me on this one.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think your best bet is to call the DMV for answers.

My TSX battery died and we had to swap it out and get the car smogged. It failed because the computer was reset when the battery died and had to drive the car 100 miles. Do you know if the car will come with dealer plates like new California cars do?

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the car requires somewhere between 100-200 miles driven before it will successfully pass the smog.
It's not that bad, when I got state reffed I found the car would usually set all its monitors around the 30-mile mark. It doesn't take more than an hour, you're pretty unlikely to get hassled.

If it's a brand new car sale, you might be able to get an exception from the DMV regarding smog, since the Civics are 50 state cars and we have a first-six-years smog exemption anyways on cars sold in-state. Definitely worth an ask, and if you have AAA membership, I had a MUCH easier time going through my local branch than directly dealing with the DMV.

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Integra Type R, 2000 Civic SiR 2012 civic 1966 Mustang
Country flag
my boost blue passed smog with 79miles on it but to answer your question you have 5 days to register it from the day it ARRIVES in california .. so be creative when you go to dmv as to the date it got here ... i bought mine from boston and they do not have temporary tags so i am going to try to register mine tomorrow or monday

OP
OP

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my boost blue passed smog with 79miles on it but to answer your question you have 5 days to register it from the day it ARRIVES in california .. so be creative when you go to dmv as to the date it got here ... i bought mine from boston and they do not have temporary tags so i am going to try to register mine tomorrow or monday
Thanks! I think this was the answer I was looking for. The car arrives Thursday and I am looking to smog/register on Saturday so I think I should be good. Is this stated somewhere on the DMV site? Also, do you know if it applies to both cars registered in other states that are coming to California as well as brand new cars from other states?

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks! I think this was the answer I was looking for. The car arrives Thursday and I am looking to smog/register on Saturday so I think I should be good. Is this stated somewhere on the DMV site? Also, do you know if it applies to both cars registered in other states that are coming to California as well as brand new cars from other states?
i took mine today to get registered .. it was $3560 for tax and license including paying the fee this registration service charges but they gave me my license plates in 20 minutes and they were open on a sunday

romuhhhr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R-39517, 2014 Mazda 6
Country flag
i took mine today to get registered .. it was $3560 for tax and license including paying the fee this registration service charges but they gave me my license plates in 20 minutes and they were open on a sunday

So wait, the dealer from out-of-state didn't charge you sales tax and you have to pay it to CA DMV? Or i'm missing something here?

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So wait, the dealer from out-of-state didn't charge you sales tax and you have to pay it to CA DMV? Or i'm missing something here?
no they have no way to accept the payment because they are not connected to california to take payment

OP
OP

Seandingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
no they have no way to accept the payment because they are not connected to california to take payment
This might be different from dealership to dealership but the spot I purchased from was able to collect the sales tax and then send a check to the DMV in California. I didn't have to pay out of pocket once I got the car registered.

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This might be different from dealership to dealership but the spot I purchased from was able to collect the sales tax and then send a check to the DMV in California. I didn't have to pay out of pocket once I got the car registered.
its not different from dealership to dealership its that not all states are connected to california its like 5-6 states have the ability to charge taxes to california residents .. i buy cars out of state alot and i think only 1 dealer has been able to do it for me some will charge me and finance it in but they will send me a check to give to the DMV when i register it
Sponsored