[Question] Multiple WiFi Connections 2017 Civic RS (Australia)

Mazkarth

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic RS, 1.5T, CVT
Country flag
Hi all,

I've had my Civic for a week now and have installed the Honda Hack with a few applications.

Mainly Spotify, Google Maps and Torque Pro.

In my previous car I had the OBDII adapter streaming data to my phone. However I would like to remove my phone from the equation as we have a nice large touchscreen.
I plugged the OBDII adapter into the car but couldn't find it in Bluetooth options and I've read that the HeadUnit doesn't support Bluetooth to these kinds of devices.

For spotify to work I set my phone as a hotspot and connect the HeadUnit to that and use Spotify and Google Maps, but am wondering I were to get a WiFi capable OBDII adapter would I be able to connect the HeadUnit to both SSIDs at the same time? Or is there a different way I can get this all going?

I have tried doing Screen2Auto via my phone but just didn't like the whole interface of my phone on the screen. More after the simple turn on away I go sort of thing.
Sponsored

carl4

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I don't think this is possible. [Edit: I don't know how the WIFI dongle connects... Maybe if both the HU and the OBDII dongle are on the Hotspot network it would work?]

I went with a USB OBDII adapter (the tricky part was choosing the correct baud rate for the USB).

Pretty much the same set up. HondaHack'd, running Waze, Torque and a music app. HU tethered to my phone's hotspot.

(Side note: Sometimes the wifi disconnects a lot. I haven't determined if it's my aging Nexus 5x or the HU, but this is usually when I'm not using the music app on the HU, but rather playing music over BT.)

OP
OP

Mazkarth

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic RS, 1.5T, CVT
Country flag
So did you just plug it into the centre USB and route it back to the OBDII port?

May look into how those WiFi ones work whether they just send out to the broadcast channel and see what happens.

I haven't an issue with the WiFi cutting out. When in range of the house joins that then as I drive away it autoconnects to my phone. Mind you I'm only driving for about 40 minutes each way. Haven't had a chance for a nice long drive yet with coronavirus and what not.

carl4

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I think my WiFi issues are just my phone.

I know I've plugged it into the center USB (under the radio). I haven't tried the one below the cup holders (or can't remember if I did).

I checked this afternoon and the baud rate is set at automatic. But I know I had to experiment with it the 1st time I installed. It's been a year...

I don't like having the wire, so I'm watching to see if that works.

Another thing that worries me is leaving it plugged in all the time... It doesn't have a switch, and my battery (like others) seems to be easily drained.
Sponsored