Question: install paddles on non paddle car?

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 EX CVT Hatch
Country flag
Sorry for seeming stupid/novice
And sorry if this has been asked, but..

I have a auto '17 hatch without paddle shifters.

Being as it is... I've never in my life ever owned a manual car. Driven some but never owned.

But almost all the cars I've owned have had either a:
Slap shift, paddles, gear +/- button.
And in those cars I never ever left 'S' or 'OD' or 'M' which ever gave me the shift option..

And always used the gears me self...

Almost never drove my 'automatics, in automatic'

Now this is my second civic I've ever owned.
Used to have an '09 LX.... and I always used 1, 2, 3, D for hills, corners, pulling.

Now I have this one with sport but no option to pick my own gear.

Is it possible to install and program paddles on this car?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DamonPS

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I dont care about price, dont tell me ah! Itl cost you 5 grand it's not worth it ahh! It's fake dont need them... just help me answer the question. Thank you.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Anything is possible if you throw money at it. Is it an easy install probably not. To add the physical paddles is easy, but to go from that to adding the electrical work so that the paddles “talk” to the transmission to lock the pulleys in its ratio windows to simulate the gears will be the challenge. Should have picked up a sport hatch or sport touring if you wanted the paddles, but it’s not impossible to add I suppose. I dont know where you can take it for it to be added, I don’t think a dealership would even want to touch a project like that and put the work in to install that. Your best bet is buying the stock wiring harness, going to a 3rd party shop, and having it get ran to the transmission and ecu like how it does. But like you said already, take your own advice on it

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...rsion-to-paddle-shift.6823/page-3#post-519492

I would say it might be possible theoretically. Practically, it's not. My advice: forget it.

If you indeed don't care about the cost, trade in your car and get a paddles version.

Regarding "it's fake and you don't need them" here is my opinion: it's real and you should want them. But not necessarily for "manual" driving full time.

OP
OP
DamonPS

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you to all!.

I would of got the sport, but at the time the sport cost more at the dealership(less miles) than I could afford over the EX also. More creature comforts. Moon roof and heated seats ect. Was all a must.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
When I test drove a sport I tried out the "shifter". It still shifted "gears" automatically if it thought you were being dumb, and was really disappointing overall compared to just driving in automatic or an actual manual.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
If money not a problem. Why not buy another car?

2ndCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 civic si
Country flag
Thank you to all!.

I would of got the sport, but at the time the sport cost more at the dealership(less miles) than I could afford over the EX also. More creature comforts. Moon roof and heated seats ect. Was all a must.
Sounds like what you really need is the si. It has a moonroof, heated seats, and you get to pick your own gears.

OP
OP
DamonPS

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When I test drove a sport I tried out the "shifter". It still shifted "gears" automatically if it thought you were being dumb, and was really disappointing overall compared to just driving in automatic or an actual manual.
Well like I said in OP I have driven but never owned a manual. But do want one. All cars I've ever owned though had a manual option in their own form. And I only ever driven with them in that mode. Never automatic.

If money not a problem. Why not buy another car?
Never ment it that way, I ment it as I didnt want people to say it's too much or it's not worth it... ect.. and not give me an actual answer. But I'm happy with the responses.
Money is deff an issue.

Sounds like what you really need is the si. It has a moonroof, heated seats, and you get to pick your own gears.
Yes... I really really really wanted one. Checked one out.. 2 previous owners.. shortly owned. So I'm assuming they prob dogged the h**l out of it. 80k miles still wanted 19+ grand for it.

And it was the only one that cheap in the whole state. At the time of shopping. Found others with more miles and higher yet price.

Dealer told me they are hard to find second hand that's why they are so much. Because people keep them.

Almost ready to go and sign for it but turned it down for 2 reasons: 'reliability' cost per milage.
And room. 2 kids 2 dogs grocries. 'Sports car' so I couldn't really get my fiance to be okay with it.

And she didnt want me to buy someone else's problems when regular civics/hatches have way less miles way less price and still under warrenty.

Money....
I got approved for 60k.. wanted to sign for a type r but knew in the long run monthly payments and insurance would bankrupt me.

308 for my ex is already barely breaking me. Plus 160 for insurance.

Was listed for 17k even after loan fees and bleh. Ended up at like 22/23k so I knew the si would be higher. And type r even higher. So no way I'd afford either anyway.

So.... *shrugs*

Last edited:
OP
OP
DamonPS

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Money....
I got approved for 60k.. wanted to sign for a type r but knew in the long run monthly payments and insurance would bankrupt me.

308 for my ex is already barely breaking me. Plus 160 for insurance.

Was listed for 17k even after loan fees and bleh. Ended up at like 22/23k so I knew the si would be higher. And type r even higher. So no way I'd afford either anyway.

So.... *shrugs*
And to get a hatch with that feature I'd spend more then an si for a touring model

So I guess my only way to get paddles would be that guied he linked with the parts list.
And redneck this hatch. I can afford 400/800 I can't afford over 20k.
Doing it your self.. that price range doesnt sound bad at all. I'm probably not guna have patience. So I dont wanna guess what a hire'e would charge.

Oh and I'd have to learn Chinese lol.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Was it in Sport mode? On mine you can use the paddle shifter to stay in any gear, unless you go too deep in the red then it will force you to shift into the next gear. I like cruising in 2nd gear because it's easy to build up boost if you want to have a bit of fun.

OP
OP
DamonPS

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Was it in Sport mode? On mine you can use the paddle shifter to stay in any gear, unless you go too deep in the red then it will force you to shift into the next gear. I like cruising in 2nd gear because it's easy to build up boost if you want to have a bit of fun.
I was thinking he might of left it in drive...

But
After I figure out what I'm doing with paddles...

antilag or no lag is next. I swear I bought this hatch with 23k miles. In Feb. It's now at 42k and i dont think one full 24hrs has passed where i didnt hit full boost gauge/hit 100mph since I've owned it. Turbos too much fun. (First ever owning a turbo) but I want instant not wait. Aaaand I live in ny and my area specifically only has 45 to 55 roads. It's a wonder i haven't been caught yet.

Last edited:

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I was thinking he might of left it in drive...

But
After I figure out what I'm doing with paddles...

antilag or no lag is next. I swear I bought this hatch with 23k miles. In Feb. It's now at 42k and i dont think one full 24hrs has passed where i didnt hit full boost gauge/hit 100mph since I've owned it. Turbos too much fun. (First ever owning a turbo) but I want instant not wait. Aaaand I live in ny and my area specifically only has 45 to 55 roads. It's a wonder i haven't been cought yet.
I'd advise against using anti lag unless you can afford to build/replace the motor and/or turbo.

It's a quick way to destroy the stock turbo and bend a rod.

OP
OP
DamonPS

DamonPS

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'd advise against using anti lag unless you can afford to build/replace the motor and/or turbo.

It's a quick way to destroy the stock turbo and bend a rod.
Yeah I wouldn't really do that unless i was pretty well set in life and could atleast afford two of these cars comfortably.

Sticking to strictly bolt ons.

Current:
KnN filter
PRL Stage One intake

Next:
strut tower bar (brand undecided)
Under body anti say roll ect.
Body aero (front lip side skirt back splitters)
(OP; paddles maybe)

I have a k tuner from a member here but have to reach the dealer first before I'm comfortable putting it on (warranty)
If I can get an okay I'm getting the TSP stage1

Eventually:
Sport cat front down pipe wanna pass nysi but be noisey.

27won bigger turbo inlet

Prl cvt cooler

Ingen intercooler

Eventually, eventually: bigger turbo upgrade 27won

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Yes. It was only a short drive so not a lot of time playing with it, but it felt like a novelty instead of a "feature"
Sponsored