Question for the Amzoil guys?

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Ok, question ( actually more than one) After years of using Mobil1 & Mobil1 filters, I'm taking a serious look at Amzoil, specifically the Signature Series 0W-20 , the OEM 0W-20 and the Amzoil filter. My concern is that the Signature Series is not API Certified, the OEM does have the API sunburst and is SN/SN Plus rated, but, according to their website doesn't really compare to the Signature. Assuming that I choose the Signature and the Amzoil filter (which is undeniably better than the Mobil1 filter) what are the ramifications with warranty using an obviously superior, but non-API certified oil?. Is it mostly hype or is the Amzoil Signature substantially better than the Mobil1 EP? The filter is obviously made by the same vendor as the Amsoil, but the Amzoil is full synthetic media whereas the M1 is semi-synthetc. So please, convince me that the Signature 0W-20 and a Amzoil filter will really make a meaningful difference in engine life. I'm still planning on 7500-10K max intervals, or annually. Anyone have an informed opinion? I'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You like to break you head,
I use any good SAE synthetic oil and change oil at every 5,000- 6,000 miles. I do myself.
IMO, often oil change is the way to go.

I kept all my previous car more than 12 years with 150,000 miles with no issues

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The benefit of Amsoil is being able to go longer intervals without changing your oil. That is where it really shines, but with frequent oil changes you really miss out on this benefit and it makes it not worth the money. Since the Civics suffer from fuel dilution in the oil, I personally would not go with the longer oil change intervals. Oil performance is like splitting hairs nowadays, you will be good with just about any oil as long as you use a quality filter and change it often enough.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
The benefit of Amsoil is being able to go longer intervals without changing your oil. That is where it really shines, but with frequent oil changes you really miss out on this benefit and it makes it not worth the money. Since the Civics suffer from fuel dilution in the oil, I personally would not go with the longer oil change intervals. Oil performance is like splitting hairs nowadays, you will be good with just about any oil as long as you use a quality filter and change it often enough.
Thanks, this is what I personally think, however, there have been some recently posted videos that put the Amzoil Signature in a pretty superior position vs Mobil1, Pennzoil & other high-end oils. I know that it's a pyramid-marketing product, but it does test well and they do make some convincing arguments.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since the Civics suffer from fuel dilution in the oil, I personally would not go with the longer oil change intervals. Oil performance is like splitting hairs nowadays, you will be good with just about any oil as long as you use a quality filter and change it often enough.
"Since the Civics suffer from fuel dilution in the oil," ;
Only some model

" I personally would not go with the longer oil change intervals "

I Agree, fresh oil is better than any supposed long-life oil

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"Since the Civics suffer from fuel dilution in the oil," ;
Only some model

" I personally would not go with the longer oil change intervals "

I Agree, fresh oil is better than any supposed long-life oil
Thanks, I needed to hear this. If you listen to and read the Amzoil ads & promos, you are almost afraid to use anything else, they promote themselves as soooooo much better, yet their top-of-the-line Signature Series oil is NOT API certified, although their lesser-grade, less expensive oils which are not as well rated, are?? I've used Mobil1 oil & filters for 30+ years with no issues, recently upgraded to the Extended Performance from the AFE, I guess I've fallen victim to Amzoil advertising, which, like all good ads creates FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) then sells you the solution.

JayDiem

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8, 2007 Ram 1500, 2000 CRV
Country flag
Here is an independent who just finished up running an 5w30 oil playoff showdown on Youtube. Spoiler Alert, winner winner chicken dinner for Amsoil Signature Series but props to the second place oil, a huge win for Pennzoil too. According to this guy the hype is deserved. Dude even mailed them out a trophy for the win.

Not sure about the 0w20 but I am guessing similar results. Both are acceptable and recommended for the FK8 as per the manual.

Honda Civic 10th gen Question for the Amzoil guys? ctr1-

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Amsoil exceeds API certifications. Long story short, oil manufacturers must pay to have the certification displayed. Amsoil does not opt to do so, primarily because they assume you plan to operate outside of the recommended OCI parameters.

All that said, IF an oil quality issue were to come up (highly unlikely)... and Honda's investigation questioned the type of oil used, the lack of the API seal "could" work against you.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks, I needed to hear this. If you listen to and read the Amzoil ads & promos, you are almost afraid to use anything else, they promote themselves as soooooo much better, yet their top-of-the-line Signature Series oil is NOT API certified, although their lesser-grade, less expensive oils which are not as well rated, are?? I've used Mobil1 oil & filters for 30+ years with no issues, recently upgraded to the Extended Performance from the AFE, I guess I've fallen victim to Amzoil advertising, which, like all good ads creates FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) then sells you the solution.

Any SAE approved oil are good. I always buy any well know brand in rebate at my local store, always synthetic.
I alway use car make oil filter. I play safe under warranty period and after warranty I keep the same filter witch fit on my tool.
For 5,000 miles oil change, it don't care

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Amsoil exceeds API certifications. Long story short, oil manufacturers must pay to have the certification displayed. Amsoil does not opt to do so, primarily because they assume you plan to operate outside of the recommended OCI parameters.

All that said, IF an oil quality issue were to come up (highly unlikely)... and Honda's investigation questioned the type of oil used, the lack of the API seal "could" work against you.
Yes, understand that it's (1) excellent oil, (2) exceeds API standards, however, with a Hondacare 7 year 120k extended warranty and an Owner's manual (sorry Owners Guide, manual is 6-10 weeks delivery) that clearly states "use Honda Full-Synthetic 0W-20 or other API Certified oil" (not an exact quote, but the meaning is clear) warranty issues could certainly arise, if lubrication was related to an engine failure/problem. I know it's an excellent product, would gladly use it if it weren't for this issue, despite the pyramid marketing.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I think you've answered your own question then. Especially if you're planning to run comparatively low mileage OCIs.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
snake oil. any good synthetic oil will perform well. forget 10k oil changes. doesn't make sense. I DIY my oil change every 5 or 6k miles. M1 with a new filter comes to about 35 bucks. about the same as a tank of gas.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
snake oil. any good synthetic oil will perform well. forget 10k oil changes. doesn't make sense. I DIY my oil change every 5 or 6k miles. M1 with a new filter comes to about 35 bucks. about the same as a tank of gas.
That's been pretty much my operating plan for many years, I've just been reading too many ads and watching too many of the snake oil salesmen on YouTube. Gonna stick with what has been working, like you, I can get the $35 deal locally, but being unable to do the changes myself due to some physical limitations, I have a trusted mechanic at my local dealer who does it for me. Usual charge, including a tire rotation and Multi-Check is around $30.