First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Th

The issue I was referring to is the gap between the outside edge of the rotor and the inside edge of the wheel. If there is limited space there, there will be limited air flow and decreased rotor cooling. Just don't know if that is significant going from a 20" wheel to an 18" wheel.

As for the tires, with 18s I would likely be using either Nitto NT01s, Yokohama A052s or possibly Bridgestone RE71Rs, all of which are much stickier than the tires mentioned here. I would have thought that might lead to more torque steer but not really sure.

In many ways, I am more concerned about the braking stability as I don't drag race the car
I don’t drag race either just track day events. You will feel only improvement under braking. Remove guide pins for some extra negative front camber or get hard race lower ball joints and really get some negative camber. Rear obviously a camber kit

used a 265 RS-RR then a 255 RE71 (class rules) and now a 275 RS-RR the a052 is definitely next.
Sponsored

various cheeses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
That's something for you to find out. I would have thought the same thinking that if there is torque steer, there is a difference in torque between L-R which a stickier tire would amplify vs subdue. You'll find out if you do the setup I guess.

I'm not sure if the airflow goes into that region on the stock car, and how much of it does that. That being said, when I first saw this thread something that came to my mind was whether or not the wheels could actually act more like a heat sink now that they are closer to the heat source (brakes) and offset the issues with the airflow (if any). Though there is no real proof behind this, it's more of a thought.
It's probably fine, the Type R TC car comes with 18" wheels https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-a...ext-level-with-new-race-ready-civic-type-r-tc

OP
OP

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
That's something for you to find out. I would have thought the same thinking that if there is torque steer, there is a difference in torque between L-R which a stickier tire would amplify vs subdue. You'll find out if you do the setup I guess.

I'm not sure if the airflow goes into that region on the stock car, and how much of it does that. That being said, when I first saw this thread something that came to my mind was whether or not the wheels could actually act more like a heat sink now that they are closer to the heat source (brakes) and offset the issues with the airflow (if any). Though there is no real proof behind this, it's more of a thought.
IMO (and others) the most brake cooling occurs from air flow and not heat sink. Air has to get through the rotor vanes and be expelled to actually cool the brakes and any limitation may decrease the effectiveness of the brakes. Using the wheels as a major heat sink is not really going to work. Hub, rotor, caliper and fluid yes but the wheel itself is a fair way away from the source of heat.
Sponsored